PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Mini-USB cable will only do data, but charges other devices? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=148516)

creedo 12-29-2011 05:12 PM

Mini-USB cable will only do data, but charges other devices?

I guess the obvious answer is "get a different cable" but I'm puzzled why this should be.

This cable passes data and also powers my external hard drive.
With my TP2 it passes data but won't charge.

Other generic mini-usb's will charge this phone, why is this one being fussy? It's the correct shape/format (not the smaller micro-usb that you see with blackberries etc). The only thing that's funny about it, is it doesn't go in all the way to the "hilt" like most mini usb cables.

edit: Fixed it... stupid software issue. I just noticed my usual battery icon showed 0% though my other battery icon (rainbow bar at the top) showed like 40%. Clicked the 0% icon, got to notifications screen, clicked the notifications screen button next to battery, got a checkbox I'd never bothered with before that said something like "don't charge this phone while it's attached to a PC". Not sure why you'd ever want to do that.

Unchecked it, got an error about how I'm using an unsuitable charging device and should charge with manufacturer's charger etc. Unplugged and replugged, now charging normally without errors.
<3 WM

elesbb 12-29-2011 08:22 PM

Re: Mini-USB cable will only do data, but charges other devices?

Quote:

Originally Posted by creedo (Post 2162227)
I guess the obvious answer is "get a different cable" but I'm puzzled why this should be.

This cable passes data and also powers my external hard drive.
With my TP2 it passes data but won't charge.

Other generic mini-usb's will charge this phone, why is this one being fussy? It's the correct shape/format (not the smaller micro-usb that you see with blackberries etc). The only thing that's funny about it, is it doesn't go in all the way to the "hilt" like most mini usb cables.

edit: Fixed it... stupid software issue. I just noticed my usual battery icon showed 0% though my other battery icon (rainbow bar at the top) showed like 40%. Clicked the 0% icon, got to notifications screen, clicked the notifications screen button next to battery, got a checkbox I'd never bothered with before that said something like "don't charge this phone while it's attached to a PC". Not sure why you'd ever want to do that.

Unchecked it, got an error about how I'm using an unsuitable charging device and should charge with manufacturer's charger etc. Unplugged and replugged, now charging normally without errors.
<3 WM

glad you fixed it . i was gonna mention said setting , i dont know why its even on WM . only option i can think of is if you are a business man who is constantly about with nothing but their laptop and you dont want to drain the laptops battery by having it plugged into the phone . who knows , beats me xP

EyeB 12-30-2011 12:04 PM

Re: Mini-USB cable will only do data, but charges other devices?

think it's for older computers that may not supply enough power to charge it, so instead of charging it drains the battery even quicker because it keeps trying to charge but cant.

I get this problem in my car when I'm trying to charge phone while playing slacker and using garmin gps lol. I get a notification window saying charge is not enough to charge phone and to quit some programs while using my fm transmitter

I also got this message when I tried to make a solar power backcover for phone, the phone would be kept on thinking it would charge, but the panels provided less power than phone was using to keep it in charging state lol