PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-touch-pro-2/)
-   -   Good-Bye Touch Pro 2 and HTC (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-touch-pro-2/148333-good-bye-touch-pro-2-htc.html)

gjhuff 12-12-2011 02:00 PM

Good-Bye Touch Pro 2 and HTC

My Touch Pro 2 has water damage affecting battery life. Assurion would replace it for $ 100, but it would only cost $ 199 to upgrade. So, after much research, I went with the Samsung Galaxy S II/Epic 4G Touch. Android will allow me to use the smartphone the way WM 6.5 has. But I will miss the Touch Pro 2 which followed many years of PPC phones from the PPC 6500 upward.

I carefully considered the Arrive (which my Sprint store not only recommended against, but didn't even have a display model out anymore). But I am not a user of Zune or Xbox. I want to keep my files private and not in the cloud. Tethering is also an essential application for me. So while the Arrive is definitely a great hardware upgrade, Windows Phone 7 is a non-starter for me. Perhaps if I had never experienced the ability to customize and was starting anew, I'd feel differently.

I want to thank the Touchpro 2 community here and over at XDA who have made using this phone a great pleasure over the years. I wish that MS has chosen to upgrade WM 6.5 with new hardware so I could continue to follow what has been a great user community.

elesbb 12-12-2011 02:04 PM

Re: Good-Bye Touch Pro 2 and HTC

Quote:

Originally Posted by gjhuff (Post 2159901)
My Touch Pro 2 has water damage affecting battery life. Assurion would replace it for $ 100, but it would only cost $ 199 to upgrade. So, after much research, I went with the Samsung Galaxy S II/Epic 4G Touch. Android will allow me to use the smartphone the way WM 6.5 has. But I will miss the Touch Pro 2 which followed many years of PPC phones from the PPC 6500 upward.

I carefully considered the Arrive (which my Sprint store not only recommended against, but didn't even have a display model out anymore). But I am not a user of Zune or Xbox. I want to keep my files private and not in the cloud. Tethering is also an essential application for me. So while the Arrive is definitely a great hardware upgrade, Windows Phone 7 is a non-starter for me. Perhaps if I had never experienced the ability to customize and was starting anew, I'd feel differently.

I want to thank the Touchpro 2 community here and over at XDA who have made using this phone a great pleasure over the years. I wish that MS has chosen to upgrade WM 6.5 with new hardware so I could continue to follow what has been a great user community.

with mango on the arrive , it does support thethering if assurion would have given me an arrive i sure as hell woulda taken it .

gTen 12-12-2011 02:18 PM

Welcome to the darkest depth of the dark side! we have milk and cookies ;) (I ate them all already though *whistle*)

elesbb 12-12-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2159907)
Welcome to the darkest depth of the dark side! we have milk and cookies ;) (I ate them all already though *whistle*)

comee onnn the touch pro 2 isnt THAT bad . its the service we receive from sprint and ASSurion which is the problem .

matchstickredgti 12-12-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb (Post 2159903)
with mango on the arrive , it does support thethering if assurion would have given me an arrive i sure as hell woulda taken it .

Agreed

Galaxy S is a good phone though. Enjoy it

eric12341 12-12-2011 04:34 PM

My HD7 has tethering now. For it to be on the arrive its up to sprint to enable it. Due to the condition of their network and commitment towards wp7 or lack thereof,its very unlikely that they will enable it anytime soon. This is another reason y I left to T-mobile.

fixxxer2012 12-12-2011 04:41 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; Incredible 2 Build/GRI40; CyanogenMod-7) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Enjoy the sg2.

gTen 12-12-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb (Post 2159910)
comee onnn the touch pro 2 isnt THAT bad . its the service we receive from sprint and ASSurion which is the problem .

um...when did I say it was bad?

dark side= what we call android

darkest depth of the dark side= going android + samsung

dark side is a pun used when you switch to something else, darkest depth of the dark side is something I made up for a double swap of Android + None HTC.

woldemariam 12-12-2011 04:58 PM

i am looking to buy an arrive but the only thing that has stopped me was that i thought it could not tether. can someone please provide me more info or a link?

elesbb 12-12-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2159941)
um...when did I say it was bad?

dark side= what we call android

darkest depth of the dark side= going android + samsung

dark side is a pun used when you switch to something else, darkest depth of the dark side is something I made up for a double swap of Android + None HTC.

oh i thought you were speaking badly of the TP2 . as in saying everyone who has trouble with it is on the "dark side" as not sprint nor assurion is recognizing our problems . my appologies :/