PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 05:44 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

onree is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
SIM unlock the TP2? Low cost plans available?

So I recently had to switch over to an Android phone, thus stranding my still-ticking Sprint TP2. Does the SIM Unlock process (the one that you have to pay $15 for) still work? Is it worth trying it to get an unlocked TP2? I would do this to then give it to my mom.

Which leads me to my second question -- does anyone know of any low cost plans (I'm thinking prepaid, for example). Some minimal data included would be great.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:14 PM
Super genious in training
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

elesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Re: SIM unlock the TP2? Low cost plans available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onree View Post
So I recently had to switch over to an Android phone, thus stranding my still-ticking Sprint TP2. Does the SIM Unlock process (the one that you have to pay $15 for) still work? Is it worth trying it to get an unlocked TP2? I would do this to then give it to my mom.

Which leads me to my second question -- does anyone know of any low cost plans (I'm thinking prepaid, for example). Some minimal data included would be great.
If youre gonna give it to someone to be used , then yes you should unlock . however , i am not sure if unlocking IS MANDATORY to flash to say Boost Mobile (a counterpart of Sprint) also , if you flash to any CDMA prepaid carrier , i dont think unlocking is necessary , unlocking the TP2 just allows acces to GSM towers and networks . Personally , i was gonna buy an Optimus S and give my TP2 to my brother . He LOVES the straightalk plan . unlimited everything just 60 bucks a month (i think) however , i used to have a verizon prepaid , and i loved it . then there is tracfone . (my step mom uses) and she likes it , it supports data and messsages and talking , whenever you use any of them it simply subtracts ffrom your paid minutes . but they have deals like double minutes for a year , where you pay for a 15 dollar card but get 30 minuets from .. or credit as tracfone calls it . it has data but is EXTREMELY slow , as is straightalks . verizons prepaid isnt slow , but you pay like 3 bucks for a 24hr data session . honestly it all depends on how it will be used and youre location , cause also MetroPCS is a good one , except i flashed a MetroPCS prl and got horrible service xP lol . so it wasnt good for me . just go to wal mart and sprint and verizon and look around , heck walmart has almost all the prepaid plans with descriptions at the store . or just google straigtalk boost etc and check their websites .
Happy hunting ! lol
Seth
Old 11-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

Quote:

I would also recommend Boost Mobile or the lowest cost Sprint plan you can find.
SIM Unlocking allows your Sprint TP2 to function on US GSM Networks like AT&T or T-Mobile etc. In my opinion, I wouldn't recommend going that route especially if the user of this Sprint branded TP2 will use data because your Sprint TP2 will only be capable of EDGE data speeds on GSM networks which will be frustrating because those speeds are like 1X speeds on Sprint so no 3G data on US GSM networks. If it will only be used for talk and texts then the GSM option would be ok.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by horndoctor View Post
I would also recommend Boost Mobile or the lowest cost Sprint plan you can find.
SIM Unlocking allows your Sprint TP2 to function on US GSM Networks like AT&T or T-Mobile etc. In my opinion, I wouldn't recommend going that route especially if the user of this Sprint branded TP2 will use data because your Sprint TP2 will only be capable of EDGE data speeds on GSM networks which will be frustrating because those speeds are like 1X speeds on Sprint so no 3G data on US GSM networks. If it will only be used for talk and texts then the GSM option would be ok.
@horndoctor actually EDGE speeds are faster than 1x ( and EvDO at least in my area for that matter)
Old 11-02-2011, 01:46 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by horndoctor View Post
@horndoctor actually EDGE speeds are faster than 1x ( and EvDO at least in my area for that matter)
Ok, well I didn't say 1x and EDGE were identical. EDGE may be a little faster than 1x but the point is, they won't get 3G speeds. Thanks for correcting me.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:23 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Threadstarter

onree is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for all the info -- I checked out Boost Mobile and it looks like the best value plan would be the $50/month unlimited. Anyone know of a plan with less minutes, and less data, for about $30 - $40 a month? I think the $50 monthly would be too much for my mom.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Super genious in training
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

elesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)

Quote:
Thanks for all the info -- I checked out Boost Mobile and it looks like the best value plan would be the $50/month unlimited. Anyone know of a plan with less minutes, and less data, for about $30 - $40 a month? I think the $50 monthly would be too much for my mom.
check this out Cell Phone Plans - Pay As You Go and Prepaid | Virgin Mobile

Virgin mobile has pretty decent plans at 35 a month

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2