PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Vogue To TP2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=147549)

Lowranger 10-17-2011 12:28 AM

Vogue To TP2

Looking for some advice.

I've been very happy with my Vogue since I bought it in January '08 but I need a bigger display for my aging eyes(I'm 52).:???:

I'm on Sero @ $30/month (month-to-month)and leaning to the TP2 over the Marquee, or Optimus S, or some other 3g device @ $40 on Sero-P.

For me, 50/month is simply too high for a 4g Android what with battery drain and penetration issues.

The iPhone is beautiful but restrictive, and $50/month too.

Besides, if I stay with Winmo I stay get to stay on Sero @ $30 and I won't have to acquire new applications.

A couple of questions...

I tether my laptop and have made some "registry changes" to stay under the radar.

Are there similar hacks for the TP2 ?

I tether my Vogue via USB(preferred) or bluetooth, but, since the TP2 has wifi is that another tether option? Like a wifi hotspot ?

I often surf-the-net while laying down (bad back). Since the TP2 lacks a d-pad, is it possible to operate it one-handed, as I do with my Vogue ?

If I do opt for a TP2, should I go new, refurb, or used.

Can anyone direct me to reputable sources for this non-current device ?

Finally, if you think that my desire to stick with Winmo is wrongheaded, let me know.

It's the only operating system that I've ever used and I've been real happy with it, BUT, maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks

horndoctor 10-17-2011 06:00 PM

Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

The tethering registry edits are very similar to the Vogue so you can get that going with no problem.

You can install HTCWiFiRouter or WMWifiRouter on a TP2 and tether easily even without registry edits.

I operate mine one handed all the time. I have a virtual d-pad on my TP2 that I linked to the <- key on the front with rhodium keyboard controller and it works well.

I would try to look for the newest one you can find because wear on the keyboard and other parts will be minimal.

I suggest just searching the web and maybe you can find a highly rated source.

Good Luck! :)

Lowranger 10-17-2011 06:13 PM

Re: Vogue To TP2

Thanks Doc‚

Very helpful.

elesbb 10-17-2011 07:02 PM

by the way , good luck getting a new touch pro 2 ! I'd go used off ebay .

Lowranger 10-21-2011 10:24 PM

Lucky me !!! :headbang:

I picked up a new TP2 on E-bay for about $200.

I should have it in a week or so.

It is 6.5.

OK, from what I've read 6.5 is slow...

Do I want to re-flash to 6.1 ?

I'd like a minimal ROM, lightweight and quick.

I surf the net...

Watch YouTube...

Slingbox...

Tether my Netbook...

I don't give-a-damn about gestures, pinch to zoom, or any of that crappola...

Should I re-flash a stock 6.1 or some custom ROM ?

Tinkerbell 10-21-2011 10:35 PM

Sounds like you are a no nonsense type of guy. Take a look at this Rom for maximum raw speed and very little frills!! :)

MaxSense UI (android style homescreen)
  • This is a complete rewrite of the Sense homescreen, by maxycy.
  • It features a 3 screen, Android style, homescreen with widgets! The widgets can be placed ANYWHERE on the three screens.
  • 75 Quicklink accessible on all tabs
  • You should really visit the original thread for this mod shown on the next line to see all the features!
  • Link to the original thread for this mod is here > Click <.
http://devftp.xda-developers.com/fil...m_Titanium.png
Titanium (ROMs for raw speed!)
  • This is a minimal ROM version without Sense in it. It's used primarily for people that like to customize the default 6.5 homescreen (Titanium)
  • You can use it to install alternate homescreen interfaces like SPB Mobile Shell, etc
  • Very low memory footprint and good battery life, but very simple and lacks a lot of features that you would otherwise have available in Sense...
  • ALL my ROMs have Titanium built in already along with Sense, but THIS ROM is Titanium only.

http://devftp.xda-developers.com/fil...s/download.png

Tinkerbell 10-21-2011 10:40 PM

Or a bare bones Rom here by elesbb.

Lowranger 10-21-2011 11:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow, 11 minutes for a helpful reply... Thanks T'Bell!

Since I've never even held a TP2 or flashed a ROM I'll have to depend on the friendly folks here to help me out.

Once more, the ONLY REASON I upgraded was my failing eyesight requires a bigger display.

Sense, Android Style, Titanium...

These sound like overlays.

I'm not too knowledgeable about these terms...

On my Vogue I disabled the cube and installed Pocket-Plus.

I'm very happy with this setup.

SPB Shell was WAY TOO BUSY for my tastes.

Can I simply do the same thing with the TP2 ?

A nice, clean, today screen...

my background image...

a few expandable tabs...

Clean and minimal.

Tinkerbell 10-21-2011 11:29 PM

It appears as though Pocket Plus 4 will function with the 192DPI 480x640 resolution of the Touch Pro 2. If that is what you like, you should be all set!

SPB Pocket Plus 4

horndoctor 10-22-2011 11:02 AM

Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowranger
Wow, 11 minutes for a helpful reply... Thanks T'Bell!

Since I've never even held a TP2 or flashed a ROM I'll have to depend on the friendly folks here to help me out.

Once more, the ONLY REASON I upgraded was my failing eyesight requires a bigger display.

Sense, Android Style, Titanium...

These sound like overlays.

I'm not too knowledgeable about these terms...

On my Vogue I disabled the cube and installed Pocket-Plus.

I'm very happy with this setup.

SPB Shell was WAY TOO BUSY for my tastes.

Can I simply do the same thing with the TP2 ?

A nice, clean, today screen...

my background image...

a few expandable tabs...

Clean and minimal.

If I were you, since it has the 6.5 rom on it I would disable Sense and try using the standard 6.5 interface which is Titanium. Then you can see if you like that setup or not. If you like it stay with it or unlock and flash a custom Titanium rom. If you don't like it and you want to use Pocket Plus flash the original 6.1 rom back on and install Pocket Plus.