PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 10:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

wizardknight is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Broken Screen Assistance Please

Well I got my new to me TP2 two days ago, and after walking around with it in my pocket I come home from the store and find the screen is cracked 2/3 of the way down. Not my day it would seem.

The cracks do not effect the image at all. I think the digitizer cracked, but I am not sure. Can someone give me some feedback?

The cracks do not come all the way to the surface. It is like there is 3 layers. The very top (plastic?), middle(digitizar/glass?), and then the bottom lcd.

It looks like the middle layer has cracked.

The screen is still completely responsive to touch.

Everything I have read suggests that replacing the digitizer on these units is impossible. Anyone care to share their experience?

Now the next question is does anyone have any good sources for parts other than the obvious ebay? Or does anyone have a TP2 they want to part with that might have non-screen issues?

I am looking at this unit on ebay for $20 at the moment.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HTC-Touch-Pr...item483ba0221e

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited by wizardknight; 09-27-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Super genious in training
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

elesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Re: Broken Screen Assistance Please

well if its not affecting your use I wouldn't bother . But if you like things new looking as I , its really not that hard to disassemble and replace . And keep looking on ebay , I've found screen replacements as cheep as 15 bucks final price . But 20 bucks doesn't seem bad at all . Go on youtube and search for tp2 screen replacement . They have some great vids on there !
Old 09-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

This thread has lots of good information from several posters:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-touch-...k-warning.html

I hope it helps you.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2 (R.I.P) / htc EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premuim

aedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

I had a semi similar issue.
I ordered mine off ebay and it had some scratches ono the digitizer.

I ended up ordering a new digitizer from ebay

replacing it isnt impossible in the slightest. its just alot of work and take alot of pre planning and knowlage

I got a digitizer (glass screen and the plastic digitizer) for about 20 bucks.

but your right, there are 3 layers.
Bottom is LCD. it consist of a few layers of very thin film sheets that bend the lights to produce the image.

Then the glass screen. this protects the lcd

and then the digitizer, wich hovers a few milimerters above the glass.
the reason for that is because when you press down on the digitizer, it registers the center of where your pressing to tell the phone where your touching.

Now... again I will stress it is ALOT of work. I highly suggest doing research lol

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

sugaryling is just getting started

WizardKnight,
I just bought the lcd and digitizer from the same ebay seller. INstalled in in 20 mins and works just fine. Go for it. I just used a you tube video to walk me through. Good luck.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

wizardknight is becoming a great contributor

Well I decided to take a chance and get just the digitizer. Don't do it.
Here is why.
1. Separating the digitizer and the lcd may be possible. There is a piece of double sided tape holding them together. However just sliding a blade between the two rubbed into the lcd glass. When I though I had separated the two I ended up just removing the dark layer of the lcd, and destroying it.
2. The new digitizer does not come with the double sided tape. It is probably possible to make your own, but very hard as far as I can see.

Now that I wasted my $12 because I wanted a sprint logo on my lcd I am getting a lcd+digitizer combo for $20 that has at&t written on it.

Great video for a tear down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYqNlM68_as

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2