PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 02:25 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 3G / TP2
Carrier: Sprint / Google Voice

saridnour is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation TP2 screen ad menus freaking out?? looks like when warm

ok so all of a sudden my tp2 started jumping around screens and menu options like it was posessed! It does it both in WM and in Android. WM I also hear beeps and clicks. I thought it was a stuck key at first but it was not. Its random and seems to get worse as it gets warmer. After a call it wont stop. Its like one was presing the windows, dialer, hangup with both long and short presses. It also will kick into a dialer and random keys are entered. Its really odd. I have hard reset and that did not solve the issue. It seems to happen when warm/hot. Earlier today after a call it would not stop long enough for me to shut it down. I tossed it in the freezer (thinking it was becuase of it being hot) and after being in for about 2 min I pulled it and it seemed to stop. After charging, it started up again. Anyone seen this or have any ideas what is the issue? Wanted to get some info before I begin disecting the thing. This is not my primary phone any longer (and not worth the insurance fee), I use it to test android and as a voip (Free phone) aroud the house with Google voice. Works well that is untill it started to freak out

Thanks,
saridnour
Old 09-23-2011, 08:18 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Re: TP2 screen ad menus freaking out?? looks like when warm

sounds like a hardware issue nonetheless.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Unlimited is um, limited
Pocket PC: Razr MAXX
Carrier: Verizon

DaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Did the phone actually FEEL hot? I so, was it hotter than normal. I know most of mine have gotten warm during normal use but never hot. it could also be a moisture issue. Carrying it in your pocket can cause a small amount of moisture to accumulate. If you think it may possibly be, then put it in a bag of uncooked white rice for a day and the rice will absorb any moisture.
One thing to note, if you put a warm phone in a freezer then take it out, condensation will almost immediately form in the phone and cause some moisture to build up. .... just look at all the condensation on the outside of that beer bottle that you stuck in there to chill it down fast...

Also, has it been dropped or experienced any other kind of trauma?

Fianlly, from my recent experience with replacements - I'm now waiting on my 7th TP2 in less than 1 month - the lot of refurbs that they are picking from is crap IMHO and I've learned through my experience that no matter how much you gripe and complain...even nicely... they are not going to give you anything else but the TP2. I've learned that the hard way...

ANyway, hope you get it working.

David
Old 09-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saridnour
ok so all of a sudden my tp2 started jumping around screens and menu options like it was posessed! It does it both in WM and in Android. WM I also hear beeps and clicks. I thought it was a stuck key at first but it was not. Its random and seems to get worse as it gets warmer. After a call it wont stop. Its like one was presing the windows, dialer, hangup with both long and short presses. It also will kick into a dialer and random keys are entered. Its really odd. I have hard reset and that did not solve the issue. It seems to happen when warm/hot. Earlier today after a call it would not stop long enough for me to shut it down. I tossed it in the freezer (thinking it was becuase of it being hot) and after being in for about 2 min I pulled it and it seemed to stop. After charging, it started up again. Anyone seen this or have any ideas what is the issue? Wanted to get some info before I begin disecting the thing. This is not my primary phone any longer (and not worth the insurance fee), I use it to test android and as a voip (Free phone) aroud the house with Google voice. Works well that is untill it started to freak out

Thanks,
saridnour
I bet you have a bad or damaged digitizer(touchscreen).
Basically it is behaving like someone is pressing on the screen and obviously no one is. It would also get worse when it heats up because the plastic would be more plyable.
You'll need to replace it. It's best to replace the digitizer and lcd as a unit because they are glued together.
The assemblies are still available. You could probably have an in-store tech replace it.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:21 PM
Unlimited is um, limited
Pocket PC: Razr MAXX
Carrier: Verizon

DaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by horndoctor View Post
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Basically it is behaving like someone is pressing on the screen and obviously no one is. It would also get worse when it heats up because the plastic would be more plyable.
You'll need to replace it. It's best to replace the digitizer and lcd as a unit because they are glued together.
The assemblies are still available. You could probably have an in-store tech replace it.
Thats a good point. Look at the screen with the phone off. Do you see what looks like an oil film in the center of the screen? If so, they are probably separating.

David
Old 09-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Super genious in training
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

elesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)

Quote:

umm not trying to argue with a suuuper geeenius but from my experience in taking apart my tp2 the digitizer and lcd are not one unit . You can replace just one , they are like 7 to 14 bucks on ebay . Look up on youtube the taking apart of a tp2 , you'll see they are seperable items .

but good point in bringng that up as one of his problems .. I bet that's what it is .
Old 09-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb
Quote:

umm not trying to argue with a suuuper geeenius but from my experience in taking apart my tp2 the digitizer and lcd are not one unit . You can replace just one , they are like 7 to 14 bucks on ebay . Look up on youtube the taking apart of a tp2 , you'll see they are seperable items .

but good point in bringng that up as one of his problems .. I bet that's what it is .
Oh, you're right they are seperate and sold separately and can be replaced seperately but they are glued or stuck together so I'm just suggesting replacing both because they can be bought already stuck together for easier assembly.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:34 AM
Super genious in training
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

elesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)

Quote:

Oh, you're right they are seperate and sold separately and can be replaced seperately but they are glued or stuck together so I'm just suggesting replacing both because they can be bought already stuck together for easier assembly.
ohhh ! good call then suuuper geeenius !
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2