PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: how can i use sprint htc touch pro 2 as a modem for my laptop??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Umm... humm... I am going to have to think about that one for awhile. I don't know if that is possible because you are trying to broadcast and receive with the same radio.
that is correct, the WiFi chip in the tp2 cannot do 2 connections simultaneously and if it did it wouldn't be very fast.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:03 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
There's only 1 app that can do what Op wants, WMWifirouter.. it has a WiFi to usb option... you can use the TP2 as a bridge to take an incoming WiFi signal and pass it via usb into a pc for data.... but only via usb... this would only be needed if the comp is older and isn't WiFi capable.... otherwise you'd just skip the "bridge" and connect direct...

So the answer to your question is really, no... for a pc sure, but not "other devices" ..... there's no WiFi to WiFi with a deactivated device, as others said above..

My question is what are you trying to connect to the TP2, that can't just be directly hooked up to the base WiFi signal?

And sorry, I guess no app can really do what op is asking..
Old 08-20-2011, 09:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2 - SharkieROM 6.5.X v5.1

vancomycin is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Thanks for the replies.... still confused on about the wifi chip. I had a few older laptops that didn't have wifi but figured i could somehow get the tp2 to connect to a wifi hotspot and then via a connected usb cable and some application allow the laptop to be connected via that.... I wasn't expecting fast speeds...just some form of connectivity that would wrk on an unlocked tp2 that no longer has cellular service.

Are most of the tethering options then based on solely using a phone that already has some data serclvice? When the tp2 I have had sprint service, I was able to use it as a hotspot using the wifirouter program...

That application was called "wmwifitether" latest version as noted from our member kn the previous post I wrote abojt retiromg the tp2. I haven't looked for this just yet...

@boredandtattooed : I wanted to use the TP2 as my main wifi dongle to a few tablet pc's/laptops that have either windows xp or windows 7 full OS. They all have built-in wifi or PCMCIA adapters, but I didn't want their batteries to be drained that way. Since I have a few extended batteries for the TP2 - I wanted to use that as my "wifi adapter" and have it connect to whatever wifi network is available. ///

My sprint voice and data are now ported over to my motorola photon but I haven't bothered to do any rooting/tethering on that new phone because of some kinks over at XDA with some loss of function (i.e. 4g) - so I will wait a few more weeks on that. Still it would be nice to have an "isolated" wifi adapter (hence the Tp2) to free up some battery power that would have been sacrificed using the other devices or even my on my photon.

Last edited by vancomycin; 08-21-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:13 PM
VIP Member - Retired
Pocket PC: Moto Flip>Smsng 8500>Razr v3m>Mogul>TP>3 TP2s+ ??
Carrier: Sprint Premier Gold- White Glove Status

teradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Micro Center - Tenda 11N Wireless USB Adapter 244525
Somethings aren't even worth thinking about, no joke I have 3 of these.
& if you're actually looking for something to do with the old laptops, try this: http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0315698 :>))

Last edited by teradog; 08-22-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:56 AM
VIP Member - Retired
Pocket PC: Moto Flip>Smsng 8500>Razr v3m>Mogul>TP>3 TP2s+ ??
Carrier: Sprint Premier Gold- White Glove Status

teradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

I replied in hast above.. seems battery save is ur goal
here's a link, probably best bet,
looks like ur thinkn wifi on tp2, usb or bt to ur other device 4 internet... good luck
Where in the World is WMWifiRouter? (Updated) | PhoneNews.com
thats the last free version, but ull prob need paid, use 2 have 30 free trial, allows u to select i/o (usb, bt, wifi, etc..)
post via tp2

Last edited by teradog; 08-25-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2 - Stock 6.5

Zonker is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Why not just use the HTC Wi-Fi Router? It's free and works great. =D> I use it all the time to give my iPod Touch and Laptop access when I'm on the road.

Z

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2