PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

ccengineer is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sim unlock your TP2 for free

Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb View Post
just saying , I've tried that and when I would apply the changes I would get a write fail claiming the items are read only . which nv items did you change ?
I'm talking about the NV items you can access using QPST, I forgot which one but one has something like GSM and ANT and 1900 or something like that. There is a ton of them. I currently don't have a phone anymore to keep on testing, A friend of mine broke his phone, and because I just got this phone to play with and unlock and he needed a phone, I gave him mine. I'm trying to get another one to continue working on it, just waiting for a reasonable price on ebay.

Last edited by ccengineer; 09-13-2011 at 10:45 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:44 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teradog View Post
Yea, not in radio software, but needs both... a wu & unlock "security/Radio"... the new radio code "WU" is not the unlocker, just part of a 2 step process: 1. security/radio unlocker 2. WU patched radio (not the 2.37 verizon radio, but the "patched" radio WU.

re. I installed a Verizon Rom which has the correct Radio that works with US carriers on the Sprint Phone but Still it did not pick up US GSM frequencies,

& re. Yes the US radio I was refering to was WU

You said a bunch there... just want to make sure you're not thinking the wu is the same as the 2.37 verizon radio code... rather the xda link I post earlier... Some confusion in the past from others, as the 2.37 verizon radio (unpatched version) works great on a sprint phone :>)) ... in fact, has solved some XDAndroid issues recently... but has nothing todo with unlocking

Just to be clear
I don't think I'm confused. Here is the story. Security unlocking is needed to be able to install the WU Radio, but I'm saying we might be able to activate GSM frequencies without a need to install WU radio, thus not requiring Security unlocking. I heard that Verizon phones work with US GSM providers without flashing a new WU radio, they only need SIM unlocking. Given that, then the Radio that comes with Verizon ROM should work with US GSM carriers. But when you install it on a Sprint TP2 it still does not work. I think that the reason it doesn't work is because of the Frequency restrictions in the NV memory, which we might be able to change using QPST, without a need to security unlock or Flash a new WU radio.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:27 PM
VIP Member - Retired
Pocket PC: Moto Flip>Smsng 8500>Razr v3m>Mogul>TP>3 TP2s+ ??
Carrier: Sprint Premier Gold- White Glove Status

teradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Cool stuff...
Couple of thoughts...
Haven't read the cmonex & olipro sticky's lately, but thought they both stated a WU for Verizon also... Pretty sure, unless something has changed.

"heard that Verizon phones work with US GSM providers without flashing a new WU radio, they only need SIM unlocking"
Where? I haven't been looking lately, but wasn't the case many moons ago... gotta linky?

"..reason it doesn't work is because of the Frequency restrictions in the NV memory, which we might be able to change using QPST, without a need to security unlock or Flash a new WU radio"

Can it be done without WU? Perhaps, but... they are the masters at this & been at it a looong time for a bunch of different phones.. meeeza guessing that if there was an easier way, they would have done it. Can't imagine they'd recommend a Verizon WU if not needed... and lol, don't suppose you could PM & ask them hehehehehe (used QPST a loooong time ago)

...hurry up & get another phone would ya? :>))

Last edited by teradog; 09-15-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teradog View Post
Cool stuff...
Couple of thoughts...
Haven't read the cmonex & olipro sticky's lately, but thought they both stated a WU for Verizon also... Pretty sure, unless something has changed.

"heard that Verizon phones work with US GSM providers without flashing a new WU radio, they only need SIM unlocking"
Where? I haven't been looking lately, but wasn't the case many moons ago... gotta linky?

"..reason it doesn't work is because of the Frequency restrictions in the NV memory, which we might be able to change using QPST, without a need to security unlock or Flash a new WU radio"

Can it be done without WU? Perhaps, but... they are the masters at this & been at it a looong time for a bunch of different phones.. meeeza guessing that if there was an easier way, they would have done it. Can't imagine they'd recommend a Verizon WU if not needed... and lol, don't suppose you could PM & ask them hehehehehe (used QPST a loooong time ago)

...hurry up & get another phone would ya? :>))
Here is a link that shows that sim unlocking a verizon TP2 is enough and allows you to connect to US GSM carriers: Verizon Wireless CDMA Touch Pro2 Works on GSM AT&T Network

And here is another Link that shows that installing a Sprint Rom on a US Cellular phone in addition to mighty Rom allows you to connect to US GSM carriers also: Unlock U.S. Cellular Version of TP2 with HSPL, Sprint Stock ROM, & MightyROM - xda-developers

Based on the above, we reach few conclusions:

1- That the Verizon Radio has all the frequencies needed to connect to US GSM carriers. Thus you only need to Sim unlock your Verizon TP2 in order to use it With US GSM carriers. For this, People can use the method I mentioned in my first post which will allow them to unlock their Verizon TP2 for free without needing an unlocking code.

2- The fact that flashing a Sprint Rom on a US Cellular TP2 unlocked the phone for use on US GSM networks tells me that even the Sprint Radio version has the correct Radio that would work with US GSM network. And it also tells me that the NV ram of the US Cellular TP2 Does not block US GSM frequencies.

3- The reason the Sprint TP2 does not work with US GSM networks is most probably NV Ram restrictions (Those restrictions could be that the US GSM frequencies are not assigned Antennas for TX/RX)

4- The Reason a US Cellular TP2 doesn't work with US GSM networks is the Radio installed (Now THIS is a radio restriction, not Sprint TP2)

5- The reason that a sprint TP2 works after security unlocking and installing a WU radio is the fact that installing a Radio by itself forces the Phone to update the NV Ram items (and most probably assigning Antennas to all the frequencies including the US GSM ones) (This is my feeling but I could be wrong here)

I have no idea if Cmonex or Olipro thought about this route or not, but remember that they are charging for the unlocking so they are not going to tell you to use another third party product and they can't bundle it with their unlocker. If they went that route and provided instructions on how to unlock the phone using QPST, those instructions would definitely be posted by someone of those who would have bought it from them. And if that happens they will lose the revenue. So anyone in their shoes that wants to charge for the unlocking, would do the same thing. (I'm not blaming or criticizing them for that, they have every right to do it and to protect their investment)

I'm thinking that if we could make a backup (using QPST) of the NV Ram items of either a US Cellular TP2 or a Verizon one and install it on a Sprint TP2, we might be able to unlock the Sprint TP2 for use with US GSM networks. (Or we might be able to just edit those items if we find out which ones we need to change.

Of course I can't do any of the above now because I don't have a phone anymore, I'm keeping my eyes open and trying to find a reasonable, maybe both Sprint and Verizon TP2s (I'm thinking that If I have two I could do the comparison a lot easier) on ebay so I could continue. If anyone here has a half working TP2 that they want to sell to me for a reasonable price in order to continue my project and hopefully come up with a method to fully unlock the TP2s for free, I would be grateful.

Last edited by ccengineer; 09-16-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: lear more about modding, update news, and more
Carrier: indosat im3

iwansyah is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

this is possible ??
Old 03-26-2012, 08:01 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Digitel

Kenio is keeping up the good workKenio is keeping up the good workKenio is keeping up the good work

Could anyone provide links for AtCmd.exe and the patched NBH?

Down here (Venezuela) can not pay for unlock codes with US$ and our currency (Bolivares) is pretty much unusable outside.

This free solution is our only hope..!
Old 05-06-2012, 01:28 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TP
Carrier: Duh, think about it...

Talon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Bit old thread i know, but here are my thoughts on this.

Of course the antennas are there, when you dial 911 it switches to a GSM frequency no matter the phone. Which explains why you get the wrong 911 operator sometimes based on the tower you hit. You just gotta figure out where that switch is i would think.

This would be better if you could do this in reverse for like say an HD2.

I find it hard that you cant use Paypals currency conversion to pay USD? Or, get a Sprint phone and use your local SIM in it?
Old 05-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc imagio
Carrier: verizon

bestrafer is a n00b

please someone upload the patched ROM )
Old 06-17-2012, 01:13 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

bhare1985 is a n00b

How do I return all these settings to default?

I don't know their default values.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Tags
cmonex