PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2 US Cellular version
Carrier: Tmobile

Buffmaster is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
US Cellular version on Tmobile, Full funcionality?

Ok, I purchased a US cellular version of TP2 thinking it was a GSM phone because the person said he'd bee using it on ATT, and Tmobile. Fortunately when I was searching for roms I seen that GSM flashing will brick the phone.

Right now I just have the unlimited text plan for $15/month. Which on Tmobile also gives you unlimited email and IM, such as MSN. I want to make sure I have this funcion as I use the MSN to chat with friends in South America.

Flashing here is a little different from last year when I flashed GSM on XDA. I will read the flash Hardspl threads more in the coming days. For now I'm looking for guidance how to make sure I can use the phone with tmobile and full IM/Email capabilities through tmobĂ*le's text plan and NOT data.

I seen sharks as options built in for selecting carriers. I am still foggy on that part as with tilt 2 in the past it never mattered flashing GSM. But I'll read more on that.

So advice for flashing for Tmobile use...and then also early next year I'll be returning to South America. I use "Tigo" there. Should I expect problems? It is a GSM sevice provider.

Thanks for any help.

Michael
Old 07-23-2011, 12:39 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

IMO you should have gotten an HD2 instead of a CDMA TP2 Worldphone.

But, you can use the USCellular TP2 in the USA on T-Mobile if it is fully SIM Unlocked for US networks. I gather that has already been done if the seller was using it on US GSM networks. The thing is, you won't be able to get 3g data on US GSM networks. I believe 3g data is possible with your device on non-US networks though. That's why a GSM branded TP2 or HD2 would be a better choice for you.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Us Cellular

lioncat55 is keeping up the good worklioncat55 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: US Cellular version on Tmobile, Full funcionality?

there is also no need to flash to a GSM rom you just need a CDMA rom that supports the World function of the TP2 i do believe that mightyrom does this
Old 07-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Thanks for the response. It's true the HD2 is better, but I'm cheap. I got the TP2 for $75 with shipping, and no way I could do that with the HD2.

The 3g part doesn't matter to me because I don't have a data plan. Just the $15 dollor a month prepaid unlimited text plan through Tmobile. I already talked to them and they said that I could use the phone the plan with no data and that part would be fine.

However, I didn't tell them it was the US Cellular version. My concern is the IM, and email as I do use those a lot, especially IM(MSN). As on the tmobile plan they count as a text message, and not data it doesn't ever cost me more than the $15.

My concern is rom compatabilty with the tmobile IM, email networks, and also Tigo's for when I go back to Colombia. From your response it sounds like it should be fine in Colombia with a rom such as Mightyrom, correct? So that is good.

I know that on the gsm models you can check in bootloader if the phone has already been flashed for roms, can you do that for the cdma as well? And also I'm a little confused with Task29. Is that something you do between flashing each rom? Do you do that instead of flashing stock roms between roms, or in addition to flashing a stock rom?

Example. On my ATT Version (tilt2) that I had if I was running Deepshinning rom, and I wanted to flash Evo rom. I would have to flash a stock rom first, and then the Evo rom. But if I was already running a flash rom I could flash straight to Evo rom.

Thanks again.

Michael
Old 07-25-2011, 04:13 AM
Suuuper Geeenius

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

I don't know anything about T-Mobile's IM system. Normally IM functions using data calls so on CDMA over 1x or EVDO data. They must have an app like Sprint's Picture Mail but the installed app for T-Mobile IM uses the SMS system instead of data. With email on CDMA your device also makes a data call over 1x or EVDO to connect to a server and download messages. On GSM I assumed that it is the same using EDGE or 3g data.
Personally, I recommend you use a Generic Rom that is not carrier specific. Then you can add stuff that you want. Vin, Sharkie, Energy and others make Generic Roms that are newer and more updated than Mighty.
You should check and see if your device has been HSPL Unlocked AND SIM Unlocked. For SIM Unlocked status just look at the radio version in red letters at boot. If the radio version is followed by WU then you are SIM Unlocked. If you see WF or something else then you're not.
To check HSPL status, enter bootloader by turning device completely off and then push and hold the volume down button then continue holding and press and hold the power button until the rainbow screen shows. If you see 1.00 Olinex then you are HSPL Unlocked.
Task29 basically wipes everything clean on your device except for the radio. It's done to eliminate corruption. Yes, before we had it many people would flash the shipped rom in between flashes.
Don't ever try to flash a GSM radio to your phone. You will have a brick. Flashing a GSM custom rom will cause a reboot loop.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Thank you very much horndoctor. very much indeed.

Michael
Old 07-25-2011, 10:50 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

ok In bootloader this is what it says:

Rhod400 32M ss-bc
SPL-1.00.olinex(so it is hspl unlocked I know)
MicroP(LED) 0x0A
MicroP(KEY) 0x04
TURBO HW/TURBO SW
TP MFG DATA
...What's confusing is that in settings it says that my phone is sim unlocked, but on boot up the red part by (R) says: 1.96.o ESN

Also I asked the guy a bought it from for advice for getting Tmobile services, if it was ready to be flashed with other roms. He responded, "do not flash radio". Not sure why he said that unless he was just meaning not to flash a GSM radio.

Software information:

OS version 5.2.21916 (21916.5.0.95)
Manila version: 2.5.20181527.1.LEAD
Rom version: 03/20/2011
Rom date: 03/20/2011
Radio: 1.96.0ESN

So I should be free to flash to sharkies right? Should I be worried about flashing the radio(other than making sure it's not a GSM radio)?

Thanks,

Michael
Old 07-25-2011, 11:52 PM
Suuuper Geeenius

Yes, you can flash any custom rom with no problem.
That is strange about the radio version. If what you typed there is correct, that looks like the 1.96 Sprint Radio. I would not flash any radios at the moment. I would get in touch with cmonex or olipro through their htcunlocks website and ask for advice to verify if your device is SIM Unlocked and ask about that radio. It looks like a patched version to me. As I understand it, if you try to flash an unlocked WU radio and you aren't fully unlocked you could screw things up.

Actually, you could just go buy a prepaid SIM from any GSM carrier here and pop it in and see if your phone works. If so then I guess I would leave the radio alone.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:02 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

yea my prepaid Tmobile sim works. It won't let me connect to IM or widows live though as it's trying to connect via data instead of however Tmobile does it. But texts and calls did work. Picture messaging however did not work either.

I think I will try Sharkies rom though and see if anything changes
Old 07-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Suuuper Geeenius

I would put your device in GSM only mode and you'll probably have to install a cab of T-Mobile's IM app. Maybe they have a Windows Live app also.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2