PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

tomei is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Windows Marketplace & My Phone Shutdown for WM 6.x

Just got an email about the shutdown. I guess Microsoft is pushing for Skydrive. This puts a damper on being only on windows mobile 6. I hope the android devs get support for BT or I will look for another phone.

Quote:
Shut-down of Windows Marketplace for Mobile Web Site and My Phone Service Notification

June 8, 2011
Dear Windows Mobile 6.x customer:

Microsoft will be discontinuing the My Phone service for Windows Mobile 6.x. We will also be discontinuing the Windows Marketplace for Mobile web site. Because you may be affected, please review the details below:

Windows Marketplace for Mobile Web Site To Be Discontinued

The Windows Marketplace for Mobile web site at http://marketplace.windowsphone.com will no longer be available starting on July 15, 2011. After July 15, 2011, you will no longer be able to browse, buy or download applications for Windows Mobile 6.x phones via the Windows Marketplace for Mobile web site.

The Windows Marketplace for Mobile service will continue to be available on your phone, however. You will continue to be able to browse, buy and download applications for Windows Mobile 6.x on your phone.

My Phone To Be Discontinued

On August 7, 2011, the My Phone service will stop saving content from phones to the My Phone service. If you rely on the My Phone service to back-up the content on your Windows Mobile 6.x phone, you will be affected.

Starting on August 7, 2011, Microsoft will begin moving your My Phone content to Windows Live SkyDrive. SkyDrive is Microsoft's free online storage service that helps you access and share your files such as photos and Microsoft Office documents. Contacts, calendar entries, text messages and photos will be moved to SkyDrive for you. Once moved, you will be able to access this content by logging into SkyDrive using the Windows Live ID that you used to register for the My Phone service.

Other content types, including videos, music, documents and favorites will not be moved from My Phone to SkyDrive for you. If you want this content, you must save it from the My Phone service to your local PC.

On October 6, 2011, the My Phone web site at http://www.microsoft.com/myphone will no longer be available. On this date, you will no longer be able to log in to the My Phone service to access your content stored to the My Phone service. Microsoft will continue to store your My Phone content for one (1) year. Physical copies of your content can be shipped to you upon request until October 5, 2012.

Take Action

To learn more about the My Phone service shut-down, including information about your content moving to Windows Live SkyDrive and how to save other content to your local PC, please visit this web site:

Microsoft My Phone Service Shutdown

Microsoft is committed to making this transition easy. In the meantime, we want to sincerely thank you for your use of Windows Mobile 6.x.

-The Windows Phone Team

Last edited by tomei; 06-08-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO 2 (Sprint)

ModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Windows Marketplace & My Phone Shutdown for WM 6.x

Got this email too.

How sad, FOR YOU GUYS!!

I have the epic! lmao

I never used that P.O.S marketplace anyways. It was a joke

Last edited by ModmyPPC; 06-08-2011 at 03:58 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

tomei is a n00b

I mostly use My Phone to sync my contacts when I load ROMs on my touch pro 2. This will make me use android full time now.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:19 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Temp TP2 until the 3D

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to No1ustad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModmyPPC View Post
Got this email too.

How sad, FOR YOU GUYS!!

I have the epic! lmao

I never used that P.O.S marketplace anyways. It was a joke
Completely useless post. wow.

Are there any alternative cloud solutions that may be available? It seems that the email suggests that Skydrive will work similarly, so i'm not really sure how much of a change this may be, other than having to log in through a different site.

Mogul -> Vogue -> TP -> TP2 -> Snap -> Evo -> 3D
Old 06-08-2011, 04:53 PM
lt cmdr of a garbage scow
Pocket PC: epic 4g
Carrier: sprint

austin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

i was just coming to post this...

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Verizon

PPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on rep

yep, I got the very same email.

So how is SkyDrive suppose to work and replace MyPhone for WM6.5 and 6.5.x devices?

M$ just shutting out all non-WP7 devices now?

EDIT: Does SkyDrive not allow Sync from the device? or did I miss that somewhere? Just wondering if I am going to have to sync all my content to Company Exchange server now (been syncing Contacts to My Phone as I have lot of personal contacts that dont really need to be on Exchange server/Outlook).

NRGz Wiki/FAQ Here
NRGz 29022 Sense 2.5 CHT1.8.5 Jul 4th

Last edited by PPCFreak; 06-08-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

tomei is a n00b

I will start using Google Sync now but that is only for contacts, email, calendar and tasks so no other stuff like sms and pics.

Setting Up Your Windows Mobile Phone for Google Sync : Google Sync - Google Mobile Help
Old 06-08-2011, 06:04 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Temp TP2 until the 3D

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to No1ustad

the msft bulletin says sms, contacts, calendar will be transferred from myphone to skydrive. but it does not specifically mention whether skydrive will be able to sync.

skydrive currently has a 1000 file limit/mo. depending on how sms, call logs, etc are stored, it might not be feasible to keep the same limit and allow syncing.

you can read more about it here: Microsoft My Phone Service Shutdown
Old 06-08-2011, 10:35 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: TP2

krewblink is becoming a great contributor

So we dont have a marketplace at all anymore?
Does this mean we can upgrade to windows 7 marketplace?
This is fucked up seriously.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:58 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Verizon

PPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I didn't use the market place before so that really doesn't hurt.
MyPhone hurts for the Sync features.

Not going to blame M$ for doing this as I figured it would be coming.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2