PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

jimmyjohn is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hardware Hacking the Touch Pro 2?

If you have a Sprint TP2 at this point, you're probably in my situation: you've got a plan too cheap to give up in exchange for a better smartphone.

Sprint has no solution for us, but there has to be someone out there capable of hardware-hacking phones to give us one of two potential solutions here: upgrading the CPU/RAM of the TP2, or hacking a current-gen smartphone to identify itself to Sprint's network as a TP2.

I know that in my case, I'm saving many hundreds of dollars every year by keeping the TP2. I'd have to pay $200 on-contract for a new smartphone, anyway, so there's no question that I'd pay at least that much for such a hack, and I'm sure many of you would, as well.

The XDAndroid project has been invaluable in generating an Android build that gives us more stable, efficient performance with our TP2s, but the returns there will only go so far without better hardware. I'm looking for anyone who either is already capable of this kind of hardware hacking, or wants to work as part of a group to either find someone who's capable, or become capable.

If you're interested in this, as either someone who could do it, or someone who'd be willing to pay for it, let me know.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:59 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Verizon

PPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Hardware Hacking the Touch Pro 2?

getting sprint to see a different more current smart phone as a TP2 would not work unless you are going to do ESN swapping / Cloning which that talk is not allowed in these forums and is not legal at any carrier that I am aware of.

as far as hardware hacking the TP2 to change the CPU/RAM, you would need a great deal of equipment to unsolder/resolder the CPU or RAM to the board and then would need new set of instructions/ROM and other firmware items to get the TP2 to even recognize the new hardware much less actually use the new hardware.

I for one would love to see more internal RAM (this might be the easier of the two items to hack but still very difficult).

NRGz Wiki/FAQ Here
NRGz 29022 Sense 2.5 CHT1.8.5 Jul 4th
Old 06-23-2011, 11:20 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

Azrial is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to Azrial

It sounds like overclocking is a far more viable solution for what you want and that is a can of worms all its own, with increased temperatures and power usage. I really doubt that a hardware upgrade it viable, but I like your thinking!
Old 06-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Tree Trunk Killa
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

burtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to burtonsnow8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrial View Post
It sounds like overclocking is a far more viable solution for what you want and that is a can of worms all its own, with increased temperatures and power usage. I really doubt that a hardware upgrade it viable, but I like your thinking!
Actually the NinjaDuck OCT doesn't affect the phone besides under high stress situations. If it is in your pocket for most of the day it actually throttles your CPU to save both power and reduce heat.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:16 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Epic Touch 4G
Carrier: Spint

Maxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I knew someone with an HD2 which ran same OS and software,
and it ran everything as smooth as silk with no problems.
If the TP2 had that kind of power (1Ghz think) it would be perfect : (
Not gona happen tho,
But if you can overclock to 768Mhz without freezing or texting issues,
then with a nice custom rom,
It will run pretty dam good..

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2