PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 08:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

hyakku is keeping up the good workhyakku is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Please help, travelling abroad tomorrow, really quick two questions

Sup all, been a while since I've been up here, was planning on replacing my faithful TP2 a few months back but after finding out I'm travelling to Switzerland tomorrow (at the time) I decided to get a refurb from Sprint and keep it since it was one of the only world phones.

I've searched and can see that I don't need to do anything but just turn off my data and switch to GSM when I land there tomorrow, but I have a two specific questions:

1. Can I tether with data services over there with my flashed rom without issue over there?

2. Related to this, does anyone know of an international company (I've already been looking at Orange/Vodaphone but if anyone has actual experience I'll take their word over a company) that has a solid data (preferably unlimited or at least 2-5gigs) plan and decent calling rates?

I only need to call the states a few times over the five weeks i'm there, but if I COULD, I'd much rather use my phone's data plan as the internet, as my hotel has no internet and I will be there for five weeks. If this doesn't work I'll have to actually purchase an additional internet plan (in addition to my cell phone plan which would aggravate me senseless)

Thanks people, later.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:20 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Tilt 2
Carrier: ICE Celular

Joe Bleau is a n00b
Re: Prepaid SIM w/ Data for Switzerland?

Maybe you could edit your post title & add the word Switzerland to attract users for that country instead of "travelling abroad".

Meanwhile try: Pay as You Go Sim with Data Wiki.

Have a nice trip!
Old 05-27-2011, 01:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bleau View Post
Maybe you could edit your post title & add the word Switzerland to attract users for that country instead of "travelling abroad".

Meanwhile try: Pay as You Go Sim with Data Wiki.

Have a nice trip!
Thanks mate, I put it in more general terms I guess because I figured I have an eight hour layover in the NL and may be able to buy one there if there are better options, but that site is perfect. Appreciated. I just need to know whether they can tell if I'm tethering with my custom rom or not now.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:28 AM
I BLEED GREEN!!
Pocket PC: treo 700wx>mogul>touchpro>touchpro2>Evo 3D

lnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to lnando84

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyakku View Post
Thanks mate, I put it in more general terms I guess because I figured I have an eight hour layover in the NL and may be able to buy one there if there are better options, but that site is perfect. Appreciated. I just need to know whether they can tell if I'm tethering with my custom rom or not now.
If you haven't installed Mr. X and MightMike's Tethering tracking hotfix you can get it HERE

You can also set up a google voice account and use that for free texting(data/wifi). Here are some free apps you could use for that..

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/tp2-themes...ion-2-0-a.html

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/tp2-themes...n-options.html

Donations accepted not expected!

Last edited by lnando84; 05-27-2011 at 03:34 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:47 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnando84 View Post
If you haven't installed Mr. X and MightMike's Tethering tracking hotfix you can get it HERE

You can also set up a google voice account and use that for free texting(data/wifi). Here are some free apps you could use for that..

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/tp2-themes...ion-2-0-a.html

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/tp2-themes...n-options.html
Thanks man I really appreciate this, now I'll be able to communicate with friends and family back home alot easier. I've also gotten the no data cab to turn it off until I get to Switzerland as I have a layover in Amsterdam I'll probably sightsee on.

Looks like I'll be going with swisscom so I'll let you all know how everything works out, glad to see the community is still tight knit. Sad that it's fading into the sunset of disillusionment.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:29 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Tilt 2
Carrier: ICE Celular

Joe Bleau is a n00b

I would not buy a card in The Netherlands to be used in Switzerland unless it specifically mentions it but that's just me. Why not check the shops in your landing SUI airport instead?

Don't worry about your custom ROM unless sending the unit to be repaired under warranty & even so, some carriers do not care. Search the web for testimonials with your carrier's name.

A friend invited me to share his apartment for a couple of weeks in Zurich. I was taking out the garbage when he said "wait, you need the key for the container". I had a good laugh as SUI is known for the safety of their banks but the garbage?

He then explained that each family had their own mini-container, that they paid per volume & that some neighbors filled up his container instead of theirs if it was not locked.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2