PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 04:35 PM
starlingx

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Replaced LCD & Digitizer On My TP2!

I just successfully gave my TP2 a screen transplant and I wanted to share some knowledge because I'd seen some misinformation out there.

I have a Sprint Touch Pro 2, T7380. The digitizer and LCD were cracked after an unfortunate interaction with the edge of a countertop at high velocity. I purchased a reclaimed LCD & digitizer as one unit, realizing that I had no idea how to stick them together if purchased separately. Plus, it was much cheaper that way ($24!).

The LCD & digitizer that I bought were from an AT&T ST7377 Tilt 2 GSM phone. Yes, it is the EXACT SAME PART. This is good because the AT&T ones are much cheaper than the Sprint ones! The used screen looks quite good, actually.

I have seen some people saying that it's impossible to get the ribbon cables back in the sockets because you need some special tool or machine. If you took them out correctly (flip up the levers) and didn't damage the ribbons, it shouldn't be hard at all. Use some tweezers and be patient! I didn't find this to be difficult. Be sure you thread the skinny curved ribbon from the digitizer through the hole in the front of the housing, or else it'll get crimped between the digitizer and the housing and likely break.

A big mystery I dealt with was how to put the new screen back in the original housing. At the factory, they use a double-sided sticky tape gasket that gets destroyed when you remove it. I managed to keep about 60% of mine intact, and maybe if I'd warmed it up in the oven, I could have salvaged more. I then used some Locktite Super Glue "Ultra Gel Control", and very sparingly applied it at a couple points. We'll see how well it holds. I almost used some silicone sealant instead, like you'd use on a windshield or something. I might wish I'd done that if I ever have to take this thing apart again.

I didn't quite get all the housing pieces to fit back together perfectly. There are a few tiny gaps, so I might not have gotten things perfectly aligned inside or I may have stretched the housing a bit while prying.

Overall, though, I'm quite dumbfounded that I got this thing back together and working. I was absolutely convinced it wasn't going to work, but it fired up on the first try!

Anyway, I just wanted to share this info in case anyone else wants to try TP2 surgery too!
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Sprinkler of Pixie Dust
Pocket PC: Tin Can ^^)
Carrier: Verizon

Tinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Replaced LCD & Digitizer On My TP2!

Cool! Thank you for the information!! Do you have any pictures from the process?

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:42 PM
starlingx

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures. I thought about it, but I got too excited and just wanted to dig in and do it. I wish I had, though, so I could show my friends, since this is a seriously non-trivial repair -- you basically have to take both halves (keyboard and display) completely apart to get to the point that you can pop out the LCD/digitizer unit. My only other repair experience has been on Palm Treos, which were a lot simpler.

I followed several different YouTube videos and PDF/DOC files I found online. I didn't find any single one of them to be sufficient in and of itself, but all together there was plenty of information. I think most of those resources have been linked from messages on here in the past.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:37 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

jkobe is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Where did you find the deal on the screen? I need to buy one and that seems to be a great price. Thanks for the information.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:13 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

You could always take it apart again and put it back together not forgetting to take pictures during that process... LOL.

Just kidding bro... Thanks for sharing. I carry TEP on my phones... But my wife's old one is now in the grubby hands of my 17 year old son (no service). So he might benefit from this post at one point in the future.
lol.
p.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Sprinkler of Pixie Dust

Tinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTECHKA View Post
You could always take it apart again and put it back together not forgetting to take pictures during that process... LOL.
Hehe... that is cute!

Quote:
Just kidding bro... Thanks for sharing. I carry TEP on my phones... But my wife's old one is now in the grubby hands of my 17 year old son (no service). So he might benefit from this post at one point in the future.
lol.
p.
You have a 17 year old son?? What is his PPCGeeks username??
Old 05-19-2011, 07:41 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level

He's not on here... He's beyond that... He goes on some other sites but not sure which ones... I think Deviant art and Zune and a few others.
p.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Sprinkler of Pixie Dust

Ah I see... 'beyond that' as in beyond the use of a phone? I can't imagine another teenager that is not addicted to their phone!! Tell him to get on here and start learning!!
Old 05-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha

He's very much into computers not so much phones... He's a big time torrent freak... I know he used to go on piratebay and a few others... He just has a texting phone...
I keep telling him he needs a smart phone. But he doesn't want one... I gave him my wife's old TP2 and he hasn't even charged the battery. LOL. I told him to give it back so I can sell it.
p.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Sprinkler of Pixie Dust

Ah, I see. To each their own I guess! He could get a lot of awesome use out of that TP2 if he would give it a try!!

Anyway, thanks again for the information OP!
This post has been thanked 2 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2