PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: ATT

Rezalg is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New to TP2 - sluggish all around

I am new to smartphones and this forum...got an HTC TP2 from Amazon that is a Verizon model. I use it w/ATT service. I have no voice commands whatsoever and overall it is sluggish. Scrolling through the tabs at the bottom of the home page even stalls. Have not added anything to it. Is there a way to say 86 the overlay and just use the Win interface - or are there other/better ways to speed it up. I don't even know how to upgrade the ROM which I read about here. Any help appreciated. Be gentle w/me. I work on computers, so I am not a tech idiot - just don't know phones.

Last edited by Rezalg; 04-27-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Re: New to TP2 - sluggish all around

There are lots of ways to speed it up... You should start reading some of the stickies in the TP2 section... However back to the first part of your question... You can go to settings and then select all settings... then select home and you will find that you can deactivate/unselect Sense... This will give you the standard WinMo 6.5 interface. It's quite nice once you get used to it. And your phone will run a bit smoother.
p.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Rezalg is a n00b

Thanks- will give it a try.

When I DO add things - would it be the ATT version, my provider - or the Verizon version , my phone?
Old 04-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Sprinkler of Pixie Dust
Pocket PC: Tin Can ^^)
Carrier: Verizon

Tinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezalg View Post
Thanks- will give it a try.

When I DO add things - would it be the ATT version, my provider - or the Verizon version , my phone?
It depends on what you are trying to add. What did you do to get your Verizon phone to run on At&t? Did you do it yourself, or take it in?

This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Rezalg is a n00b

I got an unlocked unit - just changed it from global to GSM and off Verizon to ATT. Once it saw my SIM card it wanted to activate- so I knew I had to switch it. that was the easy part.

I 86d the overlay & now have a [boring] Win interface. Any way to jazz it up w/o slowing it down? I do miss that animated weather app.......just a blank (black or blue....) screen now.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Sprinkler of Pixie Dust
Pocket PC: Tin Can ^^)
Carrier: Verizon

Tinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)

I see. Well, that seemed to have worked.

Yeah, you killed the 'Sense' interface. I think the interface is worth the extra Program Memory usage. I am wondering if you have something else going on there as my TP2 is quite snappy running Sense.

As to dressing up the 'Titanium' interface, there is information on how to do that too.
Check out the Titanium Tweaks section for more information.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level

This unlocking and running a Verizon phone on ATT has me worried though.
Just be EXTRA careful with anything you do... I know ATT doese not offer the TEP and you can end up with a very nice looking paperweight.

The WinMo 6.5 Stock home is much nicer... It sounds as though you may have a 6.3 phone there.
p.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

there have been some stability,speed and reliability issues associated with the 218xx series builds and stock roms that use them. if u can id recommend u flash the stock 6.1 rom for Verizon since its a Verizon model. but overall its best not to use world phones on US GSM networks because of the lack of 3G service. u would've been much better off activating a tilt 2.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Rezalg is a n00b

Yeah, I found out after the fact the 3G was on in European markets only. Oh well. I only paid $149. for it. I believe it is Win 6.5 from what I saw.

Thanks for the warnings - I also tell clients how easy it is to turn their nice PCs into doorstops - I hear you.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha

You are welcome... Good luck with your phone.
p.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2