PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Picture Viewer shows hundreds of images I didn't set up (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=142599)

IT_Architect 04-08-2011 08:17 AM

Picture Viewer shows hundreds of images I didn't set up

The picture Viewer shows hundreds of images and albums I didn't set up. I see images from games, my Android install on my microSD, emotions, a bunch of dice images, probably from a game, etc. I end up with large cache and thumbnail files, what a mess! :confused2:

It wasn't always like this. I just want the pictures from the built-in camera and video camera to show. What happened? How did I get rid of all the junk without deleting the underlying images that programs depend on?

Phone=Sprint Touch Pro2 RHOD400 6.5

mwalt2 04-08-2011 09:43 AM

Re: Picture Viewer shows hundreds of images I didn't set up

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT_Architect (Post 2081838)
The picture Viewer shows hundreds of images and albums I didn't set up. I see images from games, my Android install on my microSD, emotions, a bunch of dice images, probably from a game, etc. I end up with large cache and thumbnail files, what a mess! :confused2:

It wasn't always like this. I just want the pictures from the built-in camera and video camera to show. What happened? How did I get rid of all the junk without deleting the underlying images that programs depend on?

Phone=Sprint Touch Pro2 RHOD400 6.5

What 'picture viewer' are you referring to? If it's the tab in sense, just click the left soft key, press albums, choose the directory you want (like the one with your camera pictures), menu, and 'set album as favorite'. That will make it so only images in that directory show on the sense tab.

IT_Architect 04-08-2011 10:11 AM

I found the solution:
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/HTC/HTCAlbum/Ignored and add a NEW STRING VALUE
Eg if there is iGO8 in the root of the Storage Card you would create a NEW STRING VALUE with Value name iGO8 and Value Data \Storage Card\iGO8
This will include all subfolders inside the iGO8 folder. Save and reset.

Tinkerbell 04-08-2011 10:47 AM

Woah... a registry edit to fix your issue? I wonder what happened...

IT_Architect 04-08-2011 12:33 PM

Well...I learned it was working as advertised, but I didn't like the behavior. :| It started after I installed Android and a moved a lot of app installs to my microSD. On the microSD, by default, any directory it finds media files in that isn't flagged ignore, it caches any known-type media files it finds. That is probably a good default-behavior choice, but it doesn't work for me anymore.
For me, it did few things, none of which were good.
1. When flipping through the viewer, I had at least hundreds of pictures that followed the normal ones.
2. In \Application Data\HTC\HTC Album\Cache on the phone it makes a huge data file, which doesn't shrink. I had to turn off Sense to get rid of the cache files.
3. It creates a huge \Storage Card\DCIM\.thumbnail directory on the storage card that shows the thumbnails for the cached pictures, even after you set it to ignore, because they are in the cache from before. I had to delete those too.

The thread I found the fix on is actually for the Leo, which outside of snapdragon and the capacitive screen, is a lot like the Rhodium with 6.5. It is the most useful thread for Sense + Windows Mobile 6.5 that I've found so far: [REF] *Leo Hints, Tips and Registry Tweaks* - Updated 27th January 2011. - xda-developers

I have a lot more free space on my phone now, and I will still be able to see pictures stored in other directories on the phone now, such as pictures taken by Android, My Pictures on the phone, and My Pictures on the microSD.

During this journey, I found a wonderful app to find the directories and files eating up space, TreeSize Mobile. It's free, and I like it better than the one I would have been happy to pay money for.
:toothy7:

IT_Architect 04-08-2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwalt2 (Post 2081859)
...and 'set album as favorite'. That will make it so only images in that directory show on the sense tab.

Can I set up multiple favorites? If so, I would like your idea better.

eric12341 04-08-2011 04:40 PM

I used to just delete the HTC ALBUM cache files in the application data directory in file explorer.

IT_Architect 04-08-2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2082140)
I used to just delete the HTC ALBUM cache files in the application data directory in file explorer.

I did that first, but they were recreated. I had to first tell it where I didn't want it to look, turn off Sense, delete the files, and turn on Sense. I've deleted the file by itself before, but once you open the the viewer, it never shuts off, so the file is in use. There are settings in the registry to change that default behavior.

horndoctor 04-08-2011 06:44 PM

Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT_Architect
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwalt2 (Post 2081859)
...and 'set album as favorite'. That will make it so only images in that directory show on the sense tab.

Can I set up multiple favorites? If so, I would like your idea better.

You can only set one at a time but you can always change it and access the other pictures easily.