PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 01:25 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

seti007 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quad band alternative to TP2?

I really like my TP2s ability to function as a GSM phone with a sim card especially when Im over seas. Does anyone know of any good alternatives to this phone? I would like something with a faster processor and a similar or larger screen. A seperate keyboard is not a must but GPS/bluetoth/wifi etc are. I know that's a tall order but hopfully someone here know of a phone tht would fit the bill.
TIA
Old 02-20-2011, 01:43 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
Re: Quad band alternative to TP2?

Phones List

Sprint only has 5.. and the other 4 lack under tha TP2...

your TP2 only does this because its a world phone.. SIM cards are not native to CDMA devices otherwise...
Old 02-20-2011, 06:06 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

jerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Yes, I am on the same search but nobody is home at Sprint. So I have overclocked and upgraded my ROM....

BTW, if you keep the TP2 you can keep a cheaper data plan. When you go a phone with 4G, whether or not you need or want 4G, you pay for it... or so it appears to me.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

kwatcha is becoming a great contributor

My TP2 still looks brand new after one year and well protected and overclocked at 748 MHZ, I plan to hold on to it as long as possible. I have yet to travel overseas with it but since I have family in Holland I do plan to travel there soon and basically all need is a local sim card and I am set and that is the beauty of the TP2. Can't do this with the EVO, Shift, Epic and even the iPhone. By the way the TP2 is still maintaining it full price value new even more that the shift and Evo...go figure.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:49 AM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep
A couple of sprint blackberries are world phones...but it doesn't fit the bill of the device you're looking for.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
Old 02-21-2011, 01:56 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

seti007 is a n00b

so botton line is, there is really nothing out there right now that would be a worthy replacement for my TP2 and be a world phone Looks like im gonna have t ohang on to this one for the time being then. I ma consider overclocking to get the most out of it as suggested earlier.
Thanks
Old 02-22-2011, 05:09 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by seti007 View Post
A seperate keyboard is not a must but GPS/bluetoth/wifi etc are.
TIA

commented before, but in taking another look.. it depends what your "world phone needs" really are..

GPS - uses data, Sprints 4G Data can now roam internationally in some areas, so you can still use GPS.. if the country your in Supports this.. theres even some GPS/Nav apps that dont use data at all..

Bluetooth - doesnt matter what country your in, period.. its all about the device and most devices now a day all BT capable..

Wifi - as long as other countries use the same "wifi, frequencies, etc" we use; youd be able to pick up any active wifi signal... devices dont even have to be activated to receive Wifi and use the device.. (im honestly sad to admit that i dont know if Wifi has a unified, global standard)

Calls would be the only really lacking as far as the SIM goes... all this really does in a TP2, on a Global Level, is allow you to use another Carriers prepaid SIM for cheaper rates.. you can easily buy a BS world phone for not that much and just take it with you for calls... youd be able to Vid Call though(phone dependent, FFC needed)

**so if you bought a 4G device and the country Supports Sprint International Roaming Agreement, you can at a minimum grab like an EvO or Epic right now and fill 90% of your needs** otherwise Im sure your going to be waiting awhile... **

Last edited by boredandtattooed; 02-22-2011 at 05:12 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:35 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryyyyy View Post
Yes, I am on the same search but nobody is home at Sprint. So I have overclocked and upgraded my ROM....

BTW, if you keep the TP2 you can keep a cheaper data plan. When you go a phone with 4G, whether or not you need or want 4G, you pay for it... or so it appears to me.
not true, there dropping 10$ 4g charge for the new 10$ data plan extra. still bs but whatever...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2