PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 02:07 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC One M9
Carrier: Verizon

Sharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Inconsistent charging after custom ROM - *solved*

It somehow only seems to affect some phones. I realize that doesn't seem like a very scientific explanation, but there's not one to be found. It's been discussed heavily in my thread. People who have this issue have checked and unchecked all sorts of combos in nueBattery2 settings and the issue was still present until they uninstalled nueBattery2 completely. After uninstalling it, it charged fine everywhere.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:08 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Sprint/Boost

Kris443 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKris443 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKris443 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Just flashed Nega's latest for Sprint and no probs with charging.......

If I helped... Please hit the THANKS button!
Old 03-06-2011, 03:19 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Carrier: Sprint

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsuddath View Post
I have tried this (installing the Nuebattery program on an un-affected ROM) and this program will cause the previously described charging issues. No combination of checked or unchecked boxes on the Nuebattery control panel will re-enable charging. The only thing that I have found that will re-enable charging with "cheap" mini usb chargers after installing Nuebattery is to uninstall Nuebattery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalt2 View Post
There has to be more to the issue than just the driver itself. I've built 100's of ROM's for myself using no2chem's TP2 battery driver and I've never had an issue charging. It works with the 30 cent usb cables from China off of ebay, cheap Chinese usb car adapters, HTC AC adapters, and any other usb cable attached to any computer I've ever tried.
it sounds like a piece is missing. if memory serves correctly there are actually 3 pieces to it. the driver itself, nueCPL-power, and nueCPLcore.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

rsuddath is becoming a great contributor

Update - 03/10/11

I assumed that the problems I had were present in all Touch Pro 2's (the problems were identical in all 3 of the Touch Pro 2 phones in our family) and the variation in what people observed was because of the inconsistent quality of the chargers. I was wrong. Sprint replaced one of our phones (screen problems) with a refurb and the new phone has no charging issues with any ROM or any charger.

This means that there are at least 3 variables.
1) the problem is only in some chargers
2) the problem is only in some ROMs (possibly using NueBattery or other 1% drivers)
3) the problem is only with specific Touch Pro 2 phones (2 of the 3 that I now have are affected)

I suspect this is why this problem has been so elusive over time, only certain Touch Pro 2's have the issue. (I have also eliminated Radios as a factor, the issue is not affected by flashing with new or stock radios).

Thanks again to everyone who has helped figure this out
Old 03-24-2011, 01:42 AM
Lurker

3050 is a n00b

My 2 cents,
I've had a new tp2 and 2 refurbs that charged fine, but I recently got a 3rd refurb that charges finicky. I've been using Vin's Neodium on the last 2 refurbs and the only change with this one is I'm using the latest vin neodium. My problem is it charges fine from the HTC wall charger but for some reason won't charge properly from my laptop(MSI U230) anymore. However it will charge fine using hotel wall built in usb ports or in room entertainment systems with usb. Kinda of a pain since I rely on laptop usb power for most things while I'm on the road. Recently while tethered the TP2 gave me an error msg about not having enough power and to switch power sources. Something like that.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:28 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

mwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3050 View Post
My 2 cents,
I've had a new tp2 and 2 refurbs that charged fine, but I recently got a 3rd refurb that charges finicky. I've been using Vin's Neodium on the last 2 refurbs and the only change with this one is I'm using the latest vin neodium. My problem is it charges fine from the HTC wall charger but for some reason won't charge properly from my laptop(MSI U230) anymore. However it will charge fine using hotel wall built in usb ports or in room entertainment systems with usb. Kinda of a pain since I rely on laptop usb power for most things while I'm on the road. Recently while tethered the TP2 gave me an error msg about not having enough power and to switch power sources. Something like that.
If it just won't charge from a laptop, have you tried using no2chem's modded battery driver? A lot of people seem to think that is the cause of the no charge problems, but it does allow your phone to charge from a computer usb at the same rate it would charge from a wall socket (900-1000 mA instead of 500 mA). There have been times when I've been tethered that the discharge current is more then 500 mA, which would mean the stock battery driver charging would not be able to keep the battery charged when tethering via usb.

This depends on what you mean by 'charging properly'. If it shows that the phone is charging via laptop usb, but it's just slow or too low of a charge, then the no2chem battery driver may help (assuming Vin didn't already put it in his ROM).
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:57 AM
Lurker

3050 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalt2 View Post
If it just won't charge from a laptop, have you tried using no2chem's modded battery driver? A lot of people seem to think that is the cause of the no charge problems, but it does allow your phone to charge from a computer usb at the same rate it would charge from a wall socket (900-1000 mA instead of 500 mA). There have been times when I've been tethered that the discharge current is more then 500 mA, which would mean the stock battery driver charging would not be able to keep the battery charged when tethering via usb.

This depends on what you mean by 'charging properly'. If it shows that the phone is charging via laptop usb, but it's just slow or too low of a charge, then the no2chem battery driver may help (assuming Vin didn't already put it in his ROM).

I'm gonna try your recommendation mwalt2. What you said makes sense to me. However I suspect that the true problem is the mini usb port on this refurb. If I even so much as bump this refurb while its tethered it disconnects, you can here my laptop beep when ever I move the phone. I'm just dreading the conversation ahead of me with the Sprint store when I attempt to explain this problem. I'm pretty sure its not the data cable, I have 2 cables and both exhibit the same issue.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:16 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3050 View Post
I'm pretty sure its not the data cable, I have 2 cables and both exhibit the same issue.
if it is the port on the refurb then the techs should be able to quickly verify the issue. however I have many cords that no longer hold a reliable data connection. a good way to check the integrity of a cord is by defragmenting an external 2.5" hdd that gets all its power from the cord.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Tags
1% driver, battery, charger, charging