PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 01:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

dougw03 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thinking about upgrading TP2 to EVO, is it time?

So I know this has been brought up before but it's been a few weeks and I wanted to get people's opinions. I was really hoping for an Evo 2 announcement yesterday but I was let down to find out about the Kyocera ECHO. So here I am 24 months into my contract trying to decide if I should upgrade to the Evo. I keep hearing about how the Evo is going to be replaced soon, but I don't know how much longer I can stand my TP2. Is it time to bite the bullet and upgrade?
Old 02-08-2011, 03:30 PM
hec
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D

hec is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: Thinking about upgrading TP2 to EVO, is it time?

The Echo isn't the only new offering on the horizon; Android 2.3 & 3.0 devices with faster chips, like the Nvidia Tegra 2, are about to kick-start another wave of smartphone-buying frenzy.

I believe you'd be best served waiting 'til at least mid-spring before bailing on your TP2. If nothing else, the new offerings will likely lower the cost of the current ones, so either way, you win.

Granted there's always going to be something newer/faster/cheaper/better around the corner, but hardware-wise (e.g., CPU/GPU, display, glass surface, etc.), the Evo is somewhat dated, so you might as well either treat yourself to a newer generation or save money by waiting a bit.

I tried the Evo Shift for a couple of weeks and returned it. I simply couldn't justify paying $20 more per month for a device that I didn't find that much more superior to (and nowhere near as easily customizable as) the TP2, especially after breathing a bit more life into my TP2 with a hard reset, running the Sprint TP2 cleanup and WiMoSpeed to overclock, and only installing apps/games I actually intend to use. BTW, I've played around with my wife's Evo and came to the same conclusion (though I actually liked it better than the Shift).

I'm gonna let the phone & CPU/GPU/chipset manufacturers slug it out for a while to see who has garnered the most adoption and developer/modder support when the dust has settled, meanwhile hoping Android matures into a more fully-featured platform. For that matter, here's to hoping all the mobile OSes evolve quickly to deliver a more compelling experience.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

in before the move
Old 02-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Pinche Eric... LOL...

Doug... I would suggest you read some of the several threads like this one...
Try the EVO if you like it... I did and I decided to keep it.
But I'm not a big ROM changer. I keep things mostly stock.
You can do one of two things... Make a change now or wait... But that's going to be the case today as it will be 6 months from now.
You're always chasing technology... If we weren't... The industry wouldn't be doing their job. They keep us on the hook by offering something better every 6 months and then only allowing you to switch every one or two years.
I suggest you go into a store and ask for working models and play with them for a bit... You may find you like one phone better than the other. Try the epic the EVO the shift and whatever else you like and of course is in your budget.
Good luck.
p.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:26 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

...and erics the one who always talks about people posting useless stuff..... why to chime in there, Eric lol

OP:

use Sprints 30day return policy to play with the new devices... grab an Evo, use it for a week.. take EVO back, grab an EPic, play with it for a week.... see how this works man???? you can try any phone on Sprint, thats on of the good things about Sprint..

and also, I think were all a bit disappointed about yesterday.. a suitable upgrade/replacement for the EVO will come by summer.. June releases for Sprint are usually the Flagship device for the next 12 months..(EVO, PRE, Instinct) - see the trend???

If you upgraded tomorrow, its pretty safe to assume youll of kicked your own ass a few times over the next 6months... WP7(hopefully) is being announced next week at MWC.. Sprint also knows everyone is expecting a big follow up to the EVO and Epic devices.. Im sure theyre also aware that device isnt here yet.. Sprint is also knows that VZW, ATT, and TMO are working overtime in 2011 to bring Big Time Devices and Expanded Networks to the table... Sprint will have to answer for all these THIS YEAR, if they wanna stay competitive..

If you ask me, this is the best time in a long time to..............wait.... Carriers are about to goto war with one another this year... over Speeds, Fees/Charges/Plans, and best of all for US - DevicES

(i wish people would stop assuming theres going to be a device called an EVO2)

Last edited by boredandtattooed; 02-08-2011 at 07:27 PM. Reason: ehhh, some spelling
Old 02-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I took the plunge and got my EVO simply cuz I just couldn't take the lack of cool apps for the TP2... I was waiting for WP7 to come but I felt the 7 pro would not be enough for me. I wanted something big and sleek like the HD7. So the EVO looked good and I picked it up. I have the luxury of being a premier gold member... So... In Jan next year... I will be able to upgrade again to whatever comes in the next few months or whatever Sprint has to offer at CES 2012 or Barcelona... Next year I'll upgrade in March at the earliest.
p.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:57 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

Get an EVO and crack the screen.

Keep your TP2 a little longer!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:38 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
...and erics the one who always talks about people posting useless stuff..... why to chime in there, Eric lol

OP:

use Sprints 30day return policy to play with the new devices... grab an Evo, use it for a week.. take EVO back, grab an EPic, play with it for a week.... see how this works man???? you can try any phone on Sprint, thats on of the good things about Sprint..

and also, I think were all a bit disappointed about yesterday.. a suitable upgrade/replacement for the EVO will come by summer.. June releases for Sprint are usually the Flagship device for the next 12 months..(EVO, PRE, Instinct) - see the trend???

If you upgraded tomorrow, its pretty safe to assume youll of kicked your own ass a few times over the next 6months... WP7(hopefully) is being announced next week at MWC.. Sprint also knows everyone is expecting a big follow up to the EVO and Epic devices.. Im sure theyre also aware that device isnt here yet.. Sprint is also knows that VZW, ATT, and TMO are working overtime in 2011 to bring Big Time Devices and Expanded Networks to the table... Sprint will have to answer for all these THIS YEAR, if they wanna stay competitive..

If you ask me, this is the best time in a long time to..............wait.... Carriers are about to goto war with one another this year... over Speeds, Fees/Charges/Plans, and best of all for US - DevicES

(i wish people would stop assuming theres going to be a device called an EVO2)
say WHAT!? u used to be just as annoyed with these kinda threads as i am and all the other TP2/WM/MS faithful. these kinda threads always attract idiotic fandroids looking to troll and then the thread becomes a battleground.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:26 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
u used to be
key phrase there..

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2