PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Unlimited is um, limited
Pocket PC: Razr MAXX
Carrier: Verizon

DaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TP2 Wakeup on Signal Loss Workaround

OK, I figured out something interesting today about my phone waking up when it loses and reacquires a signal. Depending on how many times a day it happens, especially if I'm in a poor signal area, it can really negatively impact my battery life. Its been a problem with all of my HTC phones in the past and is not ROM dependent (Stock or custom).

The best "fix" I could muster and keep functionality was to set my screen to turn off after 30 seconds of non-use on battery and 1 minute on wall power. It helps a little but if my phone is in my pocket and the screen picks up inputs after the phone wakes up, it may still be a while before it shuts off again.

Anyway, I was looking around in the CHT 2 settings and decided to try the "Proximity Backlight Off" setting (From Home Screen: Menu>CHT Editor>Lockscreen> Proximity Backlight off). Well guess what? If the phone wakes up and is in my pocket or holster, it immediately shuts back off.

Verified by covering the top part of the screen - try it: Put your finger or something over the top part (HTC - Earpeice - Sprint) and turn it on. Goes right back off unless you uncover it and slide to unlock. You can also do the reverse by turning it on then covering the proximity sensor and it goes back off unless you slide to unlock.

My guess is that this will also help with phones that wake up from magnetic flaps on their holsters. If I didn't put mine in correctly it would constantly wake up because the magnet was tripping the stylus sensor.

Tried this by removing my stylus and the screen comes on for a split second and then goes back off if the sensor is covered like it would be in your pocket or holster.

Anyway, give it a try and see if it helps.

David

EDIT: Forgot to add that I am currently running NRG ROM Jan 26 29007 CHT 2.0
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:55 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Re: TP2 Wakeup on Signal Loss Workaround

my workaround is the lockscreen + backlight setting conjunction and/or airplane mode, easier to do than installing a resource hog like CHT but u got a thanks anyway.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Unlimited is um, limited
Threadstarter

DaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
my workaround is the lockscreen + backlight setting conjunction and/or airplane mode, easier to do than installing a resource hog like CHT but u got a thanks anyway.
Yeah, airplane mode isn't really practical for me as I need to be able to make and receive calls, texts, emails etc at all hours. I do use airplane mode in class in one of the buildings that has very poor coverage.

Seems like it happens a lot at hone inspite of my airvana (newer airave). I'll still connect to a distant tower and then switch back at will. I have to cover my phone at night as it lights up my bedroom.

Now the cover serves to trigger the proximity sensor and it turns off immediately.

Now, I'm not trying to pimp CHT but it is running quite well on my TP2 with NRG ROM overclocked to 748 with winmospeed. Funny thing is that I must have gotten a very good phone because I almost never have any of the problems that other people in the NRG threads complain about, partiularly the lag. I'm also getting better than 48 hours without any battery tweaks.

David

EDIT: Hit ya back with a thanks as well.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Nexus S - E3GT - Epic 3G
Carrier: SERO $30

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I get the same issue with my Airvana. In fact, it's 100 times more frequent with it. I have to cover/flip my phone or the light will iiterally wake me up. I wish this option was available on CHT 1.8.5 because I don't think CHT 2.0 is where I'd consider it to be worth using.

Now onto searching for other or native approaches to this solution

Last edited by quick99si; 02-06-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: None
Carrier: Sprint

hammester is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick99si View Post
I get the same issue with my Airvana. In fact, it's 100 times more frequent with it. I have to cover/flip my phone or the light will iiterally wake me up. I wish this option was available on CHT 1.8.5 because I don't think CHT 2.0 is where I'd consider it to be worth using.

Now onto searching for other or native approaches to this solution
I have the airvana as well and it is ridiculous how often my phone turns itself on. I honestly don't know if the airvana was even worth it and I got it for free lol
Old 02-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Unlimited is um, limited
Threadstarter

OK, made some progress. I figured if CHT has settings to control the proximity sensor then there must be registry entries that do the same.
A search for "proximity" in the reg editor reveals strings for both CHT and HTC. By default the HTC settings have a value of 0. There is also a (defailt) that has a "value not set". So I changed default to dword and gave it a value of 1 and chenged the following settings from 0 to 1:
Proximity Detect Status
Proximity Sensor On
Unexpected Wakeup
The only problem that I have is that the settings don't hold after a soft reset. I'm convinced that these changes would do the same thing that CHT does by turning the feature on. So, anyone good with a regeditor that wants to do the same and create a reg cab that can be applid that would stick?
David
Old 02-06-2011, 06:58 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note 2

kozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I made a .cab of it... problem is it won't stick? I tried bunch of things but the only thing that would stay is the default setting. If you come up with a solution, I'll cab it for you.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Unlimited is um, limited
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozmo View Post
I made a .cab of it... problem is it won't stick? I tried bunch of things but the only thing that would stay is the default setting. If you come up with a solution, I'll cab it for you.
Thanks Kozmo, I appreciate the help. My guess is that since I'm on a CHT ROM and I'm trying to change reg keys in sense, that might be the reason they are not sticking as CHT lockscreen may be overriding the WM lockscreen.

David
Old 02-06-2011, 08:40 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note 2

kozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Next time I flash a no CHT ROM (probably tonight or tomorrow) I will try this before I load anything else and see if it sticks. I'm starting to cook my own and I'm constantly flashing, so it's no problem. I'm on CHT2 now, but don't use the CHT lock, so don't know if that matters?
Old 02-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Unlimited is um, limited
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozmo View Post
Next time I flash a no CHT ROM (probably tonight or tomorrow) I will try this before I load anything else and see if it sticks. I'm starting to cook my own and I'm constantly flashing, so it's no problem. I'm on CHT2 now, but don't use the CHT lock, so don't know if that matters?
Thanks. I've got midterms this week so flashing is on hold for me for a bit. Thanks for the help.

David

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2