PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2010, 09:52 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TP2, HTC HD2
Carrier: Etisalat

cmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bandwidth Usage Monitoring

Does anyone have an app where you can see what application is pulling data? I only get 1G a month and for what I do on my phone: ActiveSync, Twitter, RSS Hub (no auto update), occasional web browsing, Google Maps, weather - that's all that pulls data as far as I can tell, it's more than enough.
Just the other night, I went from using 315MB for the entire month of December to now over 800MB. I then kept hitting the commend telling me what my data allotment was at every few minutes, and it was going up by a meg every two minutes or so. I turned off everything that was automatic, ActiveSync, weather, twitter, and it was still climbing but just not as fast. Finally I turned off the Data Connection, and that ended it.
So now I have a lowly 180MB for the rest of this month. Any suggestions?
Old 12-16-2010, 09:58 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 3D
Carrier: Sprint

mwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the community
Re: Bandwidth Usage Monitoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmajewsk View Post
Does anyone have an app where you can see what application is pulling data? I only get 1G a month and for what I do on my phone: ActiveSync, Twitter, RSS Hub (no auto update), occasional web browsing, Google Maps, weather - that's all that pulls data as far as I can tell, it's more than enough.
Just the other night, I went from using 315MB for the entire month of December to now over 800MB. I then kept hitting the commend telling me what my data allotment was at every few minutes, and it was going up by a meg every two minutes or so. I turned off everything that was automatic, ActiveSync, weather, twitter, and it was still climbing but just not as fast. Finally I turned off the Data Connection, and that ended it.
So now I have a lowly 180MB for the rest of this month. Any suggestions?
SPB wireless monitor will tell you how much data you use. It's $20 though. I don't know of any freeware, but there may be some.

SPB Wireless Monitor » Products » SPB Software
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:28 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

cmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalt2 View Post
SPB wireless monitor will tell you how much data you use. It's $20 though. I don't know of any freeware, but there may be some.

SPB Wireless Monitor » Products » SPB Software
I already have a command from my cell carrier that does that - tells me how much data I've used. What I looking for is an app that tells me what program/executable/service/process is using the data and maybe even how much (but that might be a stretch). If I could know what app is leaking all my data I could just kill that app. It could be the build too. I moved to NRG's recent 29005. I may swing back to 23150.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:59 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

I did a hard reset and then Task29 and again - the data still flowed like crazy. I went back to the 23150 build and even with twitter, RSS hub, weather, and ActiveSync it's barely moving up. So it must be something in the 29005 build...

Last edited by cmajewsk; 12-17-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:05 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

mwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
I did a hard reset and then Task29 and again - the data still flowed like crazy. I went back to the 23150 build and even with twitter, RSS hub, weather, and ActiveSync it's barely moving up. So it must be something in the 29005 build...
Just FYI, spbwireless tells you what application is using bandwidth and how much. I haven't used it much, so I am not sure if it logs usages/application. However, it does show what program(s) is(are) actively using data and how much.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:41 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

dotfred taskmanager will show you all the network nuts and bolts, but it's not as nice as spb's. if your using the nrg rom then you have that task manager.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:02 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalt2 View Post
Just FYI, spbwireless tells you what application is using bandwidth and how much. I haven't used it much, so I am not sure if it logs usages/application. However, it does show what program(s) is(are) actively using data and how much.
Ah, thanks for the clarification, I'll have to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggylive View Post
dotfred taskmanager will show you all the network nuts and bolts, but it's not as nice as spb's. if your using the nrg rom then you have that task manager.
Ok, I'll try that as well, thank you.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:10 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Thanks, this is what helped to resolve the issue. Within the TaskManger app that comes with NRG’s ROM, there is a “Net Stats” tab. After killing what I thought were all connection-producing applications, the two IP’s that were still listed as connected were:

Looking them up told me they belonged to Google and Akamai – not very helpful. I did look at one final app that Sashimi installs for me - BL_Group WeatherWidget V3. I use it on my lock-screen to give me a 5 day forecast. It’s quite nice actually. In looking in the code and saw it used Titanium Weather. I then looked in the TitaniumWeather.mscr and saw it checked for Internet access by hitting Google and also to "get" the weather - AccuWeather.com – there are my two IP’s…

For some reason this program just leaks and leaks data(I've tired it on multiple ROM's). I am on a 1GB plan so it’s not a ton of data to have, but should be enough for twitter, facebook, mail, weather, RSS Reader. Now that it's been uninstalled, and not eating all my data, I'm running good. Thanks for the point int the right direction shaggylive!
Old 01-18-2011, 08:45 AM
Rockin' the Red!!
Pocket PC: 1.31.11Neo -- FRX06
Carrier: Sero

Recursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIP

Quote:
Thanks, this is what helped to resolve the issue. Within the TaskManger app that comes with NRG’s ROM, there is a “Net Stats” tab. After killing what I thought were all connection-producing applications, the two IP’s that were still listed as connected were:

Looking them up told me they belonged to Google and Akamai – not very helpful. ***
Akamai NetSession Interface? If so, this is a peer-to-peer based app that can suck data pretty hard.

Check this out. You might want to disable it & test data usage...

Old 01-19-2011, 02:13 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

That is very interesting, thanks for passing that along. It seems that AccuWeather uses Akamai to distribute their weather forecasts. That makes sense as they need have a global distribution presence.

What is strange is that the app doesn’t stop talking and continually uses data. Even using the “Data Controller” app within NRG ROM’s it will not stop it if you set the inactivity timeout value, since really there is no inactivity! I have tried the BL Group Weather app on a few different ROM’s so it must be happening to others. I wonder if people using that app have noticed their data usage has increased. Back in the day of unlimited data (SERO), I wouldn’t have cared or even noticed. But having a 1GB cap I notice. And over here Etisalat does not cut you off when you go over, but will then dig into whatever amount of credit your SIM has on it for voice calls depleting that within hours – 20AED for each 1MB – which is about $5.40 US per megabyte.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2