PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Weather at GPS location (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=140453)

three west 02-01-2011 02:04 PM

Weather at GPS location

Hey guys,

Sunday night was the last update my phone did for GPS location weather.

Weather works (not2advanced server)
GPS works
the only location that isn't updating is "my location"

Nothing installed lately
soft reset a few times
checked location service, even turned it off, soft reset, & turned it back on

anybody else got anything goofy like this going on?
I know we've all been through the weather servers going down before, but that doesn't seem to be the issue this time, since my custom & stock cities load fine.

oh, running a cabbed up stock VZW MR2

eric12341 02-01-2011 07:03 PM

Re: Weather at GPS location

this always works for me everytime i have such a problem. start>settings>today disable sense then open file explorer and goto my device>application data>HTC>databases and then delete that file in there then re-enable sense.

quick99si 02-01-2011 08:14 PM

GPS isn't really used in this case. "My Location" is dependent on your carrier (towers and their location). Turning GPS on or off should not have an impact on your Sense weather output.

My suggestion to you is to fire up Google Maps and see if My Location works there. Make sure that GPS is not turned on for this. The blue dot should be jittery or jumping around as it estimates your location. This test will tell you if it's an issue with Sense or VZW.

Another thing you can do is try to update it at another physical location outside of the range from your currect cell tower. If it works elsewhere, it would seem that it's a localized problem with VZW nearyou and not something you can control yourself. Or simply check with another phone or friends in your area.

BTW the weather server is confirmed up and running as of this posting

three west 02-01-2011 09:20 PM

tnx eric, that process sounds vaugley familiar now that I see it in print. I'll try it when I get home

and quick, tnx for the pointer, tho I don't think I ever even installed google maps since my last hard reset 6-12 months ago

quick99si 02-01-2011 10:33 PM

You'd be crazy not to install it and keep it around :)

Google Maps for mobile

three west 02-01-2011 11:12 PM

well quick, you called it, without using GPS google maps says my "current location is currently unavailable". My commute is pretty short, but I hit a couple different towers throught the day, and it hasn't updated since Sunday night.

btw, still had google maps installed, just hadn't used it in a while.

I checked with a guy who's got a HTC droid device and his sense location weather was working.

Maybe I'll try to stop by the Verizon store tomorrow and see if anybody there has a clue...not likely, but ya never know.

horndoctor 02-02-2011 01:46 AM

Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

I see..........

A hard reset in your future. ;)

three west 02-02-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horndoctor (Post 2049500)
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

I see..........

A hard reset in your future. ;)

aw, come on, I'm not giving up yet!

mastergadgets 02-02-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by three west (Post 2049572)
aw, come on, I'm not giving up yet!

fingers crossed!

eric12341 02-02-2011 05:27 PM

try my fix or stop using the custom weather database