PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 03:14 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: verizon

emurill31 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HEEELP...Data connection problem

So first post in the hopes of someone being able to help me out!! I got a TP2 which used to be on Verizon, I am using it on a different network, only used an unblock code for it... and it´s working fine. My problem is in the connection settings to get my EDGE working. I'm able to configure my information fine, but for it to work I have to go to the SELECT NETWORKS area and delete the one that says Verizon Wireless... so far so good... EDGE works fine, that is until I reset or power off/on!! the VWireless setting are back on and I have to go over that again to get my EDGE working. I have been all over forums and so far everything has indicated that the proplem is in a .exe file called htc_cm_guardian.exe located in the STARTUP folder, and that renaming it should do the trick, as this is what causes those data settings to come back on their own. Problem is my startup folder doesn't have that .exe (at least i can't see it when using the phone's file explorer). So I either need help finding that .EXE or figuring out something else. I really wish I could do this without flashing or rom changes because I´m not very tech savy, plus my phone is working fine on everything else, and "if it ain't broke don't fix it" right? so anyways, hope anyone can help me, I'd greatly appreciate it!!
Old 01-28-2011, 03:53 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Rhodium)
Carrier: Sprint

Sysmai is a n00b
Re: HEEELP...Data connection problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by emurill31 View Post
So first post in the hopes of someone being able to help me out!! I got a TP2 which used to be on Verizon, I am using it on a different network, only used an unblock code for it... and it´s working fine. My problem is in the connection settings to get my EDGE working. I'm able to configure my information fine, but for it to work I have to go to the SELECT NETWORKS area and delete the one that says Verizon Wireless... so far so good... EDGE works fine, that is until I reset or power off/on!! the VWireless setting are back on and I have to go over that again to get my EDGE working. I have been all over forums and so far everything has indicated that the proplem is in a .exe file called htc_cm_guardian.exe located in the STARTUP folder, and that renaming it should do the trick, as this is what causes those data settings to come back on their own. Problem is my startup folder doesn't have that .exe (at least i can't see it when using the phone's file explorer). So I either need help finding that .EXE or figuring out something else. I really wish I could do this without flashing or rom changes because I´m not very tech savy, plus my phone is working fine on everything else, and "if it ain't broke don't fix it" right? so anyways, hope anyone can help me, I'd greatly appreciate it!!
Active sync (not as removable) to your pc. In your file explorer if in windows do folder options and do both view hidden files and below that system files. see if it pops up then
Old 01-28-2011, 03:54 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emurill31 View Post
The htc cm guardian file is located in the main Windows folder.
I recommend you download and run Shaggylive's CM Killer here:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/windows-mo...st1203597.html

Download it to your device to My Documents folder then put your device in Airplane mode(radio off) and then click on it to run it.

I hope that helps.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

emurill31 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysmai View Post
Active sync (not as removable) to your pc. In your file explorer if in windows do folder options and do both view hidden files and below that system files. see if it pops up then
Quote:
Originally Posted by horndoctor View Post

Download it to your device to My Documents folder then put your device in Airplane mode(radio off) and then click on it to run it.

I hope that helps.
Thanks for the replies...

Well so far I've been able to determine that my phone might be inhabited by the spirit of Beelzebub or something of the sort!! I was able to view system files through active sync but still don't see any HTC_CM_Guardian.exe anywhere... not on startup folder or anywhere else.

I tried the other suggestion (HTC_CM_Guardian.exe KILLER)... it did run (on airplaine mode as you suggested), and after installing it did confirm "HTC_Guardian has been slain"... but after it soft resets and my phone starts agains... voila! VERIZON WIRELESS is again the default data network...
Old 01-28-2011, 02:39 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

last i knew, and my info is old, you couldnt remove CM guardian.. i thought you replaced it with a blank dummy file?? atleast thats how it needed to be done a while back when using Metro with winMO...
Old 01-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Suuuper Geeenius

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emurill31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysmai View Post
Quote:

I hope that helps.
Thanks for the replies...

Well so far I've been able to determine that my phone might be inhabited by the spirit of Beelzebub or something of the sort!! I was able to view system files through active sync but still don't see any HTC_CM_Guardian.exe anywhere... not on startup folder or anywhere else.

I tried the other suggestion (HTC_CM_Guardian.exe KILLER)... it did run (on airplaine mode as you suggested), and after installing it did confirm "HTC_Guardian has been slain"... but after it soft resets and my phone starts agains... voila! VERIZON WIRELESS is again the default data network...
Ok, now change your settings to the way you want and see if they stick. If the cm killer ran and finished like it did then your cm guardian exe has been replaced by a dummy 0KB file which won't do anything.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Suuuper Geeenius

Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

Also, what network are you trying to use? It sounds like a GSM network. Keep in mind that you have primarily a CDMA phone with Worldphone capability so if you are only using it on a GSM network then you should set it to GSM mode only in settings. You probably know by now that it will only be capable of EDGE speeds and not 3g. For 3g you should get one of the GSM models like the Tilt2.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:45 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

why the @?%# would u want to use an EDGE connection with the advent of so much better things such as EVDO-Rev.B ,HSPA+,WiMax and LTE?
Old 01-28-2011, 04:00 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

emurill31 is a n00b

Quote:

Ok, now change your settings to the way you want and see if they stick. If the cm killer ran and finished like it did then your cm guardian exe has been replaced by a dummy 0KB file which won't do anything.
well that's what I was hoping for... but the Verizon Wireless connections still resurrects from the dead! I saw a thread about Touch Pro 2 Cleanup and some .cab files there to get rid of some OEM stuff (not sure if the networks is part of that stuff)... but the post was kinda old (2007) and I'm worried about going through with and old .cab.......... This is what I keep seeing

Old 01-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

emurill31 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
why the @?%# would u want to use an EDGE connection with the advent of so much better things such as EVDO-Rev.B ,HSPA+,WiMax and LTE?
Well pretty simple question to answer... I'm not in the States... I'm in Costa Rica.... there aren't many options to choose from, there's 3g and other connections but I'm not interested. I work at home, and I got wi-fi so I don't really need internet on my phone as bad as if I worked somewhere else or on the road with no access to a computer... EDGE let's me do the very basic things I want to do on the internet on the very few times I'm not at home... plus I don't pay anything additional for it, whereas having a cool data plan that I won't use as much would run me a bit of $$ every month...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2