PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Any .cab to keep screen from turning on randomly? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=140007)

khowe 01-21-2011 09:32 AM

Any .cab to keep screen from turning on randomly?

Is there a .cab file out there that will keep the TP2 screen from turning on during random times (like if the phone starts roaming, or who knows what else makes this thing go on). Honestly, I dont even want it going on when I get a new text message because if it's in my pocket, the screen just stays on!

It's killing my battery life, and I'm sure everyones about as frustrated as I am with this problem. Is there a fix?

drewcam888 01-21-2011 10:00 AM

Re: Any .cab to keep screen from turning on randomly?

Why dont you set the power settings to turn the phone off after so much time on battery. You can also adjust notifications for messages to make not show up so the phone screen won't turn on.

khowe 01-21-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewcam888 (Post 2041319)
Why dont you set the power settings to turn the phone off after so much time on battery. You can also adjust notifications for messages to make not show up so the phone screen won't turn on.

Does "turn the phone off" mean the phone physically shuts off and needs to be booted back on, or does it mean the screen turns off off? I definitely don't want to turn my phone off just because I haven't used it in an hour or so...

Good idea on the backlight though I had to change that in the menu.

drewcam888 01-21-2011 10:30 AM

It just turns the screen off

eric12341 01-21-2011 05:50 PM

NO the power off option will completely shut down the TP2 and ull have to reboot it. as for the screen coming on thats how WM reacts to the change from Ev to 1x, there have been regedits to try tocorrect the "wake up on sms" but none have worked to that effect. but there are a couple things u can do to preserve battery 1) is set the power and backlight settings which u have already done and 2) u can put the phone in airplane mode in areas where its roaming as that is a low signal area and the tp2 will try hard to find a better signal thus draining battery.

AZTECHKA 01-21-2011 05:56 PM

Yeah... No fix for that.
It used to drive me crazy... I carry my phones in my front left pocket... And all of a sudden it would start to get hot all because I had gone from a roam to an EVDO tower or the other way around.
By then my battery was 30% dead. Even here in my office... The phone would randomly turn on and I had to physically turn it off.
p.

eric12341 01-21-2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTECHKA (Post 2041664)
Yeah... No fix for that.
It used to drive me crazy... I carry my phones in my front left pocket... And all of a sudden it would start to get hot all because I had gone from a roam to an EVDO tower or the other way around.
By then my battery was 30% dead. Even here in my office... The phone would randomly turn on and I had to physically turn it off.
p.

yea i just turn on airplane mode in those situations. does ur EVO do the same thing?

khowe 01-21-2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTECHKA (Post 2041664)
Yeah... No fix for that.
p.

Same here, my work kills my phone because it goes in between roaming (its a big industrial building), as well as the screen turning on that I have to physically turn off.

The android builds drain batteries, but it's almost a trade off since you don't have to deal with these Winmo flaws.

AZTECHKA 01-21-2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2041670)
yea i just turn on airplane mode in those situations. does ur EVO do the same thing?

No... There's an app called Juice Defender that turns off all the radios once the power button is pressed and the screen goes off. It's actually strange to see a dark screen in front of me the whole day. But it really does save battery life. Besides... The battery from my TP2 fits the EVO. So I always have a fully charged spare for those times when I use it alot.

Sorry OP... I know this isn't the EVO thread. And I'm not recruiting. Just sharing experiences.

I love my TP2. I just needed more to do with it. And I don't mean changing ROMs and stuff like that.

p.

eric12341 01-21-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khowe (Post 2041671)
Same here, my work kills my phone because it goes in between roaming (its a big industrial building), as well as the screen turning on that I have to physically turn off.

The android builds drain batteries, but it's almost a trade off since you don't have to deal with these Winmo flaws.

these "Winmo flaws" are usually caused by operator error,i think Android has the same problem,that's why i asked him if his EVO is doing the same thing. de todos modos i don't think its too hard to just enable airplane mode in those situations otherwise tendrĂ¡ que conformarse con eso.

eric12341 01-21-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTECHKA (Post 2041677)
No... There's an app called Juice Defender that turns off all the radios once the power button is pressed and the screen goes off. It's actually strange to see a dark screen in front of me the whole day. But it really does save battery life. Besides... The battery from my TP2 fits the EVO. So I always have a fully charged spare for those times when I use it alot.

Sorry OP... I know this isn't the EVO thread. And I'm not recruiting. Just sharing experiences.

I love my TP2. I just needed more to do with it. And I don't mean changing ROMs and stuff like that.

p.

so I'm guessing that without juice defender it would still do it.

AZTECHKA 01-21-2011 06:32 PM

Yeah... But it relies on the user remembering to turn off airplane mode and turning it on.
Por eso... I think it's cool to have an app that defends your juice automatically. Simply by turning off the screen. I installed that app the second day I had the phone. I got it on a Sunday and on Monday I had a dead battery here in my office in a matter of a couple of hours especially with 4 different email accounts including push mail from hotmail.com. Weather and location and such.
But now... I still get the push email via exchange and the others check every 2 hours.
Someone should develop an app for Winmo that does the same thing. That would be a huge improvement.

No screen on means don't look for a signal.
Why would you need a signal while your screen is off? The app is smart enough to realize that the internet connection should not be shut off it it is being used (Pandora, Slacker, etc.) But if nothing is connected... The phone doesn't look for a signal.
p.

DaveTN 02-06-2011 03:52 PM

I came up with a fix/workaround that is working great for me however it presently requires a ROM with CHT 2.0. (I found the reg settings in WM but they do not stick and I'm working on that)

So, if you have a ROM with CHT 2.0 go into CHT Editor settings/lockscreen and turn on the "Proximity Backlight off" setting. Whenever the phone comes on, such as when coming into a new signal area or a magnetic flap tripping the stylus sensor, the screen will turn off almost immediately of it is in your pocket or belt holster.
I've been playing around with it for several days now and its working perfect for me and I have seen a noticable improvement in my battery.

David

khowe 02-06-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveTN (Post 2051978)
I came up with a fix/workaround that is working great for me however it presently requires a ROM with CHT 2.0. (I found the reg settings in WM but they do not stick and I'm working on that)

So, if you have a ROM with CHT 2.0 go into CHT Editor settings/lockscreen and turn on the "Proximity Backlight off" setting. Whenever the phone comes on, such as when coming into a new signal area or a magnetic flap tripping the stylus sensor, the screen will turn off almost immediately of it is in your pocket or belt holster.
I've been playing around with it for several days now and its working perfect for me and I have seen a noticable improvement in my battery.

David

Hmm, I'd like to give this a try. Can you tell me the name of a ROM that has CHT 2.0 that you'd recommend?

DaveTN 02-06-2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khowe (Post 2051994)
Hmm, I'd like to give this a try. Can you tell me the name of a ROM that has CHT 2.0 that you'd recommend?

I'm using NRG ROM. I'm currently running the Jan 26 29007 with CHT 2.0. NRG Just released a Feb 1 ROM as well.

David

khowe 02-06-2011 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveTN (Post 2052000)
I'm using NRG ROM. I'm currently running the Jan 26 29007 with CHT 2.0. NRG Just released a Feb 1 ROM as well.

David

Thanks Dave. I'll give the Feb 1st one a download. It doesn't mention CHT 2.0 in the thread, how do you know which ones have it and which don't? I'm running the 21916 Jan 26th build right now, but I don't know where CHT would be. I'm guessing this ROM doesn't have it?

DaveTN 02-06-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khowe (Post 2052052)
Thanks Dave. I'll give the Feb 1st one a download. It doesn't mention CHT 2.0 in the thread, how do you know which ones have it and which don't? I'm running the 21916 Jan 26th build right now, but I don't know where CHT would be. I'm guessing this ROM doesn't have it?

Here ya go:

Hotfile.com: One click file hosting

If you go to the first page of the NRG ROM thread, he outlines each of his particular ROM builds and has download links to each set. The one I linked to is for his CoOkie versions.

Hope that helps.

David