PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Upgrade Suggestions??? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=139797)

LinkRS 01-17-2011 01:06 PM

Upgrade Suggestions???

Hi Everyone,

After a year of frustration with my HTC Touch Pro 2 (primarily due to MS abandoning Windows Mobile, after they said they wouldn't :angry7:), Verizon is allowing me to upgrade on Feb 9th. My initial thought, is that I should grab the new iPhone 4, since it becomes avaialble on 10 Feb, but was wondering what other's people's opinions were on this subject. I really loved my TP2 up until last summer, as that was when apps started dropping off the face of the planet, and everythign was going to the iPhone and Android platforms.

What I want in a Smart Phone:

Great call quality (for some reason my TP2 doesn't have this, but it dd when I was living in Colorado?)
App avaliability (this is what my TP2 lacks)
Hardware keyboard (if it is good enough, a software keyboard would work, I understand the keyboard on the iPhone is quite good)
Outlook Contact Syncing (or a seemless work-around, such as using iTunes with the iPhone)
Good build quality
Plenty of storage space (at least 8 GBs, or upgradeable storage)

What current smartphones meet this requirements (in your humble opinions :mrgreen:)?

I understand some of the Droid phones are pretty good, but some (such as the original Droid) did not sync with Outlook without jumping through hoops, or requireing me moving my personal contacts to the cloud.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Rich S.

boredandtattooed 01-17-2011 01:16 PM

Re: Upgrade Suggestions???

iPhone 4, Htc Thunderbolt(LTE), LG ReVolutions(LTE) are the 3 biggest things smokin to VZW..... oh and Maybe the DROID Bionic too.. i forget the specs on that one though....

unless you really want an iPhone, your best bet is to give it till summer... thats when HTC and LG should be dropping possibly... Thunderbolt is suppose to have Android 2.4(ice creme) which is rumored ready by early summer

eric12341 01-17-2011 03:45 PM

aww ur on VZW if u were on sprint I'd tell u to go for the wp7 pro, vzw is getting the mozart i think so maybe u should consider that. theres nothing wrong with the cloud, MS respects privacy unlike google. the iPhone doesnt sync with outlook without some 3rd party software that u have to pay for. and dont be spoiled by apps on other platforms, we can get around in WM just fine without a yelp app etc as there are equivalents or even the webpages. all apps are anyway are just graphical interfaces of the mobile webpages and they dont have all the features anyway. MS isnt abandoning WM theyre merging it into windows embedded and they recently updated the bing (1/2) ,facebook and myspace apps.

LinkRS 01-17-2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2038478)
aww ur on VZW if u were on sprint I'd tell u to go for the wp7 pro, vzw is getting the mozart i think so maybe u should consider that. theres nothing wrong with the cloud, MS respects privacy unlike google. the iPhone doesnt sync with outlook without some 3rd party software that u have to pay for. and dont be spoiled by apps on other platforms, we can get around in WM just fine without a yelp app etc as there are equivalents or even the webpages. all apps are anyway are just graphical interfaces of the mobile webpages and they dont have all the features anyway. MS isnt abandoning WM theyre merging it into windows embedded and they recently updated the bing (1/2) ,facebook and myspace apps.

Hi Eric12341,

Thanks for the info! The call qualty here in Texas, and the lack of apps are the two primary problems I have with my TP2. I really liked this phone when I got it, but now, there are no apps for it! All of the developers are targeting iPhones and Android, and some are actually going after WP7, but poor WM is being left out. Prim examples are the worthless Facebook App, and the NFL app (from Verizon). The FB app is unreliable and does not show most of the embedded links. Verizon doesn't even make their NFL app available to Windows Mobile. There are tons and tons of apps that I would love to have (Google SkyMap, NFL, real FB app, several games, guitar tuners, etc ...) that either have no WM peers, or very poor substitutes. MS may not have abandoned WM, but it sure seems that way.

From what I understand, Verizon will not be getting WP7 until around June, and I don't want to wait another 5 months, so I am looking somethign that is avaialble now, or by the 10th of Feb.

Thanks again, I will look into the Mozart!

Rich S.

LinkRS 01-17-2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 2038330)
iPhone 4, Htc Thunderbolt(LTE), LG ReVolutions(LTE) are the 3 biggest things smokin to VZW..... oh and Maybe the DROID Bionic too.. i forget the specs on that one though....

unless you really want an iPhone, your best bet is to give it till summer... thats when HTC and LG should be dropping possibly... Thunderbolt is suppose to have Android 2.4(ice creme) which is rumored ready by early summer

Hi boredandtattooed,

Thanks for the info! I will keep an eye on those, but I am really anxious to upgrade my phone now, not in 5 or 6 months. I am looking for options that will be available by 10 Feb or so. I have been "fighting" with my TP2 since last August. We moved to Texas, and the call quality has plumeted. I am curretly on my 5th handset, and have gone through 2 since last August for various issues. It seems that most mobile developers are pretty much ignoring the WM 6.5, and going to iOS and Android (some BB OS as well). Thanks again!

Rich S.

AZTECHKA 01-17-2011 07:25 PM

I agree with you bro... I went ahead and got the EVO for the very same reasons...
While MS sorts out WP7 and Sprint can put something together that piques my interest. Then I will go back to MS. But for now... I'm enjoying everything from pandora to ESPN live scores to facebook to bing to goggles to qik to tiny shark... You name it...
I know pandora... I had it on my TP2 also... But my am radio sounds better than that. I got by with Slacker. That's what my old TP2 does now... It sits on a USB audio speaker base and plays Slacker via Wifi. And it charges my spare batteries.
At least it gets some love.
p.

eric12341 01-17-2011 09:04 PM

ahh aztechka me habia estado preguntando adonde fuiste

eric12341 01-17-2011 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LinkRS (Post 2038698)
Hi boredandtattooed,

Thanks for the info! I will keep an eye on those, but I am really anxious to upgrade my phone now, not in 5 or 6 months. I am looking for options that will be available by 10 Feb or so. I have been "fighting" with my TP2 since last August. We moved to Texas, and the call quality has plumeted. I am curretly on my 5th handset, and have gone through 2 since last August for various issues. It seems that most mobile developers are pretty much ignoring the WM 6.5, and going to iOS and Android (some BB OS as well). Thanks again!

Rich S.

I've had my tp2 since last may and i plan on keeping it till the end of this semester, that way the wp7 pro wont be able to distract me from school work. the lack of apps for WM is just due to the disgust that people have for MS and the fact that google and apple are paying them to develop apps,BB has the same problem alot of apps that are on iOS and Android arent available for that either. the fault is these idiotic developers. MS now has to offer them special perks to entice them to develop for wp7 to get them away from exclusively develop for the others.

LinkRS 02-05-2011 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LinkRS (Post 2038316)
Hi Everyone,

After a year of frustration with my HTC Touch Pro 2 (primarily due to MS abandoning Windows Mobile, after they said they wouldn't :angry7:), Verizon is allowing me to upgrade on Feb 9th. My initial thought, is that I should grab the new iPhone 4, since it becomes avaialble on 10 Feb, but was wondering what other's people's opinions were on this subject. I really loved my TP2 up until last summer, as that was when apps started dropping off the face of the planet, and everythign was going to the iPhone and Android platforms.

What I want in a Smart Phone:

Great call quality (for some reason my TP2 doesn't have this, but it dd when I was living in Colorado?)
App avaliability (this is what my TP2 lacks)
Hardware keyboard (if it is good enough, a software keyboard would work, I understand the keyboard on the iPhone is quite good)
Outlook Contact Syncing (or a seemless work-around, such as using iTunes with the iPhone)
Good build quality
Plenty of storage space (at least 8 GBs, or upgradeable storage)

What current smartphones meet this requirements (in your humble opinions :mrgreen:)?

I understand some of the Droid phones are pretty good, but some (such as the original Droid) did not sync with Outlook without jumping through hoops, or requireing me moving my personal contacts to the cloud.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Rich S.

Hi Everyone,

Feb is here hooray:laughing3: and I get to upgrade my phone this coming Wednesday, and it looks like I am leaning towards a 32GB iPhone 4. I would really like a keyboard, but the only devices that seem to have these now are BlackBerry's and the Droid2 and DroidPro. However, the Droid models are kind of old news now, and until RIM can figure out how to increase app storage space, they are not a viable option for me. Does anyone know of an Evo "like" phone for Verizon that is out now? Or any other good phones that aren't "old" news now. Thanks in advance!

Rich S.

eric12341 02-05-2011 11:47 PM

eww @crapple iPhone4 u can do soo much better.