PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   GPS Not Working Anymore? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=139727)

theevilmonkee 01-15-2011 05:59 PM

GPS Not Working Anymore?

All of the sudden, my TP2's GPS just doesn't seem to work at all anymore. On my previous Winmo phones (Mogul and TP), Google Maps would give me my exact location anywhere in my city. But now, it just says "searching for gps" endlessly. Sprint Navigation gives me errors saying that the signal isn't strong enough.

Have I flipped a setting or something that's not letting my use my GPS? I'm going to be needing it soon and I hope that I can have it working by then.

Thanks for any help!

Kodak X 01-15-2011 06:57 PM

Re: GPS Not Working Anymore?

Quote:

Originally Posted by theevilmonkee (Post 2037331)
All of the sudden, my TP2's GPS just doesn't seem to work at all anymore. On my previous Winmo phones (Mogul and TP), Google Maps would give me my exact location anywhere in my city. But now, it just says "searching for gps" endlessly. Sprint Navigation gives me errors saying that the signal isn't strong enough.

Have I flipped a setting or something that's not letting my use my GPS? I'm going to be needing it soon and I hope that I can have it working by then.

Thanks for any help!

Try updating the QuickGPS, sometimes that happen to me but after I use the QuickGPS it starts working again.

Tinkerbell 01-16-2011 11:34 AM

I agree with Kodak X. The Quick GPS is not updating automatically lately for some reason, even with the 'Update Automatically' check box ticked. After manually updating, GPS works again perfectly.

eric12341 01-16-2011 03:30 PM

did u try a hard reset? what rom are u on?

Tinkerbell 01-22-2011 05:11 AM

Hey Eric! If you are asking me, no I didn't try a hard reset. I am running a custom Rom, 23152 build.

DaveTN 01-22-2011 11:57 PM

Open up google maps and go into settings. Make sure Use GPS is checked. If not, check it. then click on GPS settings below "Use GPS" and it should say Managed by Windows.
If that does not work click on Set Manually and COM Port below that. Choose COM 4 and then OK. That should do it.

IMHO, Quick GPS helps but does not do anything if you cant even get a gps lock. Its more of an enhancement than a substitute.

David

DaveTN 01-28-2011 09:48 PM

Also, Try turning on the "AGPS" setting if its not already on.

David

Tinkerbell 01-29-2011 09:44 PM

Cool! I will check that out too.

dtrush 01-30-2011 08:10 PM

My GPS chip died in my 2nd Touch Pro 2. Losing that feature alone near about killed me because I use it almost everyday with Tom Tom.

What I ended up doing is installing the stock rom and relocking. Went into Verizon and they deemed the GPS broken\\:D/
I ESN switched that phone back onto my business Verizon account and they sent me out a refurb. Received the phone and put it back on Page Plus.

I think the cause of the death of the phone most likely was overheating. I really believe I demand too much out of the phone by running all the radios at once with it plugged in. Hopefully the build quality improves on the next HTC iteration of this model!

Tinkerbell 01-30-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtrush (Post 2047959)
I think the cause of the death of the phone most likely was overheating. I really believe I demand too much out of the phone by running all the radios at once with it plugged in. Hopefully the build quality improves on the next HTC iteration of this model!

Yeah, I worry about that as well. When the charge light starts flashing red and green, I stick a Blue Ice under the little guy and keep using it! I wonder if this USB cable will reach into the freezer...