PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 02:17 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint

Tekki is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Advice on upgrading with Sprint (TP2 owner)

Currently I am a TP2 owner with Sprint

With the buzz of new phones on all 3 major carriers circling and an upgrade coming up in Feb, I'm looking for some advice.

I'll be in the Chic, or NYC areas soon, and am looking to take advantage of the 4G network.

Size doesn't matter to me. I'm a tall guy, and the "larger" phones are honestly nicer. I hate toying with tiny phones. The Epic and Evo sizes are perfect.

Android is nice and fun, but I need my M$ tools. I want a W7 phone. I feel like I'm taking a gamble, but its the best choice for my line of work. (DM)

A physical keyboard is a must... Touch screens are fun, but not conducive for what I do. I like the feedback of physical buttons.

Speed. I loved my TP2 when I got it, and still don't mind it. But the memory and slowdown issues are starting to drive me nuts. I have to perpetually delete so much stuff, and at its best, I still can't get the OS to respond as fast as newer phones like the Epic or Evo.

So the bottom line is I want a 4G, W7, QWERTY keyboard phone with a fast processor...

Am I SOL for now if I am with Sprint? It looks like the next best option for that list is the HTC W7 Pro, but it doesn't take advantage of 4G. I've seen rumors of other projects like the HTC Sabor among other high end devices, but nothing concrete. If no phone is on the market, or is popping up any time soon, what time tables should I be looking for. (conventions, shows, etc)

Thanks in advance.

I should also add that my TP2 is being replaced with a brand new TP2 tomorrow. I'm tempted to upgrade to an Epic for now. Then when something I really want comes out, but it straight up then sell both to regain some of my loss.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:22 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: Advice on upgrading with Sprint (TP2 owner)

this is easy fix, drop sprint if you want a wp7 device anytime soon and one thats big. 7pro is small compared to other wp devices out now.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:24 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

Tekki is a n00b

Ill consider it, but it might be a hard sell for me to switch carriers.

I have a considerably deep discount on Sprint's unlimited everything plan.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:28 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
Ill consider it, but it might be a hard sell for me to switch carriers.

I have a considerably deep discount on Sprint's unlimited everything plan.
epic then, i love it and had a wp7 surround for a week and hated it and had a evo and liked it but i was sick of sense for all the years i had it. epic screen (superAmolded) is just killer to look at.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

well if u want to stick with MS and Sprint and want a keyboard phone ur only best 2 options right now are the wp7 pro or even keep the TP2 .as far as its slowdowns you can download and flash Vins latest NEO rom to stop them.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:09 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Epic Touch 4G
Carrier: Spint

Maxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

If he waits long enough, THIS IS the year of the new phones.
We will see good stuff, only thing is it will take time.
At least a few new phones by end of next month.
Most others by 3rd quarter this year, whatever that means..

I myself dicided to hold out for the "3D" phones.
Sharp and LG announed, but dunno when.
If it is "Epic Fail", then at least HTC should have the real Evo2 out..

The TP2 may be old, but with:
1-custom roms
2-overclocking
3-startmenu replacement for 10-15meg more ram
4-ram cleanin apps
5-option of running android
It will hold up to being still very usefull
Old 01-22-2011, 01:09 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC RhodiumW (Sprint Touch Pro 2)
Carrier: Sprint

JakFrost is a n00b

I'm in the same boat as the original poster and I'm waiting for new phones this year, but I'll take Android since I'm not so sure about Windows 7 having a long enough life span to make application developers jump on that new and proprietary platform judging how quickly they tried to push it out of the door and the past experiences we all had to suffer with Windows CE and Windows Mobile, even the super-buggy 6.5.5 releases. (Not a Windows 7 basher, just a skeptic from experience.)
Old 01-22-2011, 01:50 AM
Banned User

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakFrost View Post
I'm in the same boat as the original poster and I'm waiting for new phones this year, but I'll take Android since I'm not so sure about Windows 7 having a long enough life span to make application developers jump on that new and proprietary platform judging how quickly they tried to push it out of the door and the past experiences we all had to suffer with Windows CE and Windows Mobile, even the super-buggy 6.5.5 releases. (Not a Windows 7 basher, just a skeptic from experience.)
no one asked you to try the 6.5.5,of course its goin to have bugs as it hasnt been released yet, and probly wont be till windows mobile gets phased fully into windows embedded. 6.5 build 21916 runs just fine and even the 230xx builds run fine as well as theyve been released on a few devices. As for wp7 so far theres like 7000 apps for it and from what i've read developers love creating apps for it. theres even an app that was made for it (this hulu-like service) before apple or Android got their version. so wp7 is pretty much where its at.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:42 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

I have never "suffered" with WinMo. Don't use all these buggy eye candy apps and you won't either.
It never ceases to amaze me when I see people say I want my phone to be fast because I need it for work but it is slow and buggy. Then they say they are using a 6.5.x rom and/or sense 2.5 with special home tab mods and mp3 ringtones with a special artsy text message skin.
Really?!
That's like using a 1 Ton 4x4 pickup with 30" wheels to commute to work and complaining about the gas mileage. Think about it.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:31 AM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by horndoctor View Post
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

I have never "suffered" with WinMo. Don't use all these buggy eye candy apps and you won't either.
It never ceases to amaze me when I see people say I want my phone to be fast because I need it for work but it is slow and buggy. Then they say they are using a 6.5.x rom and/or sense 2.5 with special home tab mods and mp3 ringtones with a special artsy text message skin.
Really?!
That's like using a 1 Ton 4x4 pickup with 30" wheels to commute to work and complaining about the gas mileage. Think about it.
yea they just have to have CHT and then turn around and wonder why theyre having problems

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2