PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2009, 02:55 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Galaxy S4 and Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint(03/09-Now), T-Mobile(06/06-now)

pesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up Huge leap in BW speed going from TP to TP2, any idea whats going on?

I've had about 15 different HTC devices since 2002 and one of my main concerns(even obsession) was always improving the download speed on all of them. When i finally got TP2(swap for TP1) recently i have immediatly noticed that i no longer have interuptions for buffering when listening to my favorite programs on WunderRadio or Resco radio(BBC mostly) as well as youtube videos played flawlesly when compared to my previous (customised with all imaginable speed hacks) TP(1). When unlocker was released i was ready to unlock my TP2 and flash custom ROM as i always have on all my previous HTC's. After downloading the unlocker i dont know why but i decided to test speed on Sprint stock(6.1) ROM before actually unlocking it. When i saw the numbers that http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed spit out at me i almost fell out of my chair. After that I kept testing and retesting everywhere for few days and unbeleavably it was not a one time fluke. The best result is posted in my signature(done on PRL 60656 with Sprint stock 6.1(no speed tweaks whatsoever), tethering(for test purposes only) on Ubuntu 9.10(Jaunty)), results in Vista and W7 are much lower but i am still averaging half of speed in signature which is about twice the best speed that i ever got on TP(or still getting on my Sprint Diamond(custom 6.5 ROM-same Ubuntu). Needless to say i am happy as a chainik and decided to put off unlocking and stick with stock ROM for now for fear of loosing this miracle. No more laggy youtube or annoying buffering messages for me! Anyone else experienced this?

When you can tether for free?: D
Old 11-06-2009, 02:59 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo
Carrier: Sprint

racemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuff
Re: Huge leap in BW speed going from TP to TP2, any idea whats going on?

I know I couldn't believe the difference in teathering speed
Old 11-06-2009, 03:09 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Galaxy S4 and Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint(03/09-Now), T-Mobile(06/06-now)
Threadstarter

pesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by racemepls View Post
I know I couldn't believe the difference in teathering speed
Its not just tethering(since if it was i would not be that excited) but i guess they both go hand in hand. Good to see i am not the only one noticing this, and i know Sprint didnt upgrade 3G in my area (Boston) during my switch from TP to TP2 since my diamond still gets same speeds as it did 3 month ago
Old 11-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic

bbaker901 is a n00b

Ok, then maybe you guys can help me out. I did a speedtest today on my Touch Pro 2 tethered to my Vista Laptop with the stock rom. The only thing I've done was add a few customizations for the background, freeing up ram, and the Sprint Tweak Clean Up posted in the sticky at the beginning (I'm new here. I've only had my phone just under a week. This is the speed I'm getting and this is the average:

Is there something I need to check or something that can be tweaked to get it up to the speeds you're posting? I really appreciate the help because, although I absolutely needed to tether, more speed is definately desired. Thanks in advance.

*Edit - Oh, and I'm currently in Hampton, VA and it was about 9am when I ran this test.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:11 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

imnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIP

Seems like you may have picked a bad time to run the test. I'd guess that at 9AM, people are using the data network heavily as that is the start or close to the start of the work day, so imagine how many people would be checking email and other things on their phones at the start of the day. The speed you get can vary from test to test sitting in the same location. Can you try again at what may be a less busy time, like earlier in the morning or in the evening?
Old 11-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: AT&T

krohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesok View Post
I've had about 15 different HTC devices since 2002 and one of my main concerns(even obsession) was always improving the download speed on all of them. When i finally got TP2(swap for TP1) recently i have immediatly noticed that i no longer have interuptions for buffering when listening to my favorite programs on WunderRadio or Resco radio(BBC mostly) as well as youtube videos played flawlesly when compared to my previous (customised with all imaginable speed hacks) TP(1). When unlocker was released i was ready to unlock my TP2 and flash custom ROM as i always have on all my previous HTC's. After downloading the unlocker i dont know why but i decided to test speed on Sprint stock(6.1) ROM before actually unlocking it. When i saw the numbers that http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed spit out at me i almost fell out of my chair. After that I kept testing and retesting everywhere for few days and unbeleavably it was not a one time fluke. The best result is posted in my signature(done on PRL 60656 with Sprint stock 6.1(no speed tweaks whatsoever), tethering(for test purposes only) on Ubuntu 9.10(Jaunty)), results in Vista and W7 are much lower but i am still averaging half of speed in signature which is about twice the best speed that i ever got on TP(or still getting on my Sprint Diamond(custom 6.5 ROM-same Ubuntu). Needless to say i am happy as a chainik and decided to put off unlocking and stick with stock ROM for now for fear of loosing this miracle. No more laggy youtube or annoying buffering messages for me! Anyone else experienced this?
I think something may be up with the speed test in Ubuntu- EVDO RevA max downstream is 3.1 Mbps and that's considered the burst max. 7.99 seems like a bit of a reach

However, tethering speeds as well as internet speeds do appear to be improved.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:16 PM
Lurker

bbaker901 is a n00b

I will try that to get a more accurate measure. Thanks for the info imnuts.

I'm actually replying to this post while being tethered just so I can test the stability and for basic browsing it's fine. But the pages still take a little bit of time to load. Something like yahoo.com takes several refreshes for it to come in clean.

From your experience, is there anything that could bog down connection speed on the TP2? Or maybe another means of testing the connection? I used mobile speed test and I barely got 472 KB on the 1MB test. And looking at your sig, that's blazing to me. lol!
Old 11-19-2009, 12:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

dannyzen is just getting started

whoa, thats weird. havent seen this on mine, maybe processor?
Old 11-19-2009, 12:20 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

imnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIP

I've gotten everywhere from ~700KBps up to the speed reported in my signature, all sitting within a 50ft area (parking lot at work). I tend to get anywhere from 1-2MBps on average though, so it's not like what you're seeing is all that much slower. I was also testing at 5-7PM time as well, likely improving things.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Lurker

bbaker901 is a n00b

Well, I've heard that Verizon's data speeds are dramatically faster than Sprints average data speeds anyways, and I'm on Sprint. So, maybe I'm expecting too much from my provider. lol! I don't know.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2