PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 07:43 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Boost

2conscious is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question for Boost users regarding data usage

So, I'm using the TP2 on Boost mobile, with Mighty ROM, and everything is working wonderfully, asides from the occasional RAM deficiency and instability which is acceptable given the age of the phone and me, pushing it to it's maximum capacity every other day
Now, I'm wondering if someone could let me know if they've "abused" the data connection on Boost mobile with tethering this phone, because I'm currently posting this on it tethered, but I was wondering if I ended up torrenting or doing anything like that if they'd boot me off their network?

I know Boost T&C says somewhere they reserve the right to kick you off their network for pretty much any reason they see fit.

So I'm wondering if anyone has used the ever living hell out of the data plan on Boost and got away with it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:54 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Telesales Launch Day H/W Rev.)
Carrier: Sprint PCS

SweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Question for Boost users regarding data usage

I've used my tethered Boost Mobile connection to briefly engage in bursts of tethered usage, spiking way over 5GB when I do, however I don't do it very often, maybe only once every 2-3 months.

I'm guessing that as long as I keep my excessive periods of data transfers to bursts (and not fulltime heavy usage), I'm ok. This if course is no guarantee of what you will experience.

Good luck, and don't forget the Thanks button.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:55 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

they can kick u off for using an unauthorized phone (eg. TP2) on their network if they wanted to.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Telesales Launch Day H/W Rev.)
Carrier: Sprint PCS

SweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
they can kick u off for using an unauthorized phone (eg. TP2) on their network if they wanted to.
The OP acknowledges that in his first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2conscious View Post
I know Boost T&C says somewhere they reserve the right to kick you off their network for pretty much any reason they see fit.
However, just because Boost (or any other provider) *can* do something, does not necessarily mean that they *will* do something.

I'm coming up on my 6 month anniversary if switching my TP2 over to Boost in less than 2 weeks, and so far, I like it. I'm mindful not to abuse the connection. I not only limit any torrenting to occasional bursts, but I also use the scheduling options to limit it to off-peak hours.

So far, this has worked extremely well. It may or may not work for anyone else.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:44 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TP2-T7380
Carrier: Boost Mobile

ministahprime is a n00b

I've had my TP2 on boost since about July, and I've never had my data connection turned off. Even when I don't pay my bill they will shut down service to my phone, That 3G signal is always there. I have also used windows mobile torrent as long as I have had this phone. I download full feature length movies whenever I feel the need. I probably run more data through my phone than i do my actual desktop. Now some may feel a little indifferent about the whole Idea here and say that this the reason data plans are so high in the first place, and so on and so forth. Some have even said it to be illegal. I can and will argue both of these points if anyone would really like to, but the fact still remains that all one has to do to obtain service through a provider such as boost mobile with a device such as the T-7380, is call them and ask them nicely if they would transfer service to a phone you recently purchased from a 3rd party. It's as simple as that. There are other ways as well, but in my mind those methods are very questionable at best as far as legality is concerned. Also seeing as one is not required by law to provide Boost with a real name or physical address when you choose them as a service provider, it seems to me that they never really gave it much thought in the first place. In any event, to just simply clarify and restate my answer to you, I've had my tp2 on boost unlimited for the past six months, and I haven' had a single issue so far. I would assume that the more to catch on to this knowledge, the greater the chance of them pulling the plug on the whole thing. There are really too many variables for anyone to say with any certainty. However it is good food for thought, and very cost effective comparatively speaking. My advice is go with what you know bro!
Old 12-31-2010, 08:34 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Boost
Threadstarter

2conscious is a n00b

Thanks for all of the intelligent replies all, I'll go ahead and keep my data usage to a minimum, as we all know it can be shut off at any time, and I really enjoy having a smart phone for 50$/unlimited everything.

However, whenever I'm in need to do some quick browsing, and Opera/Skyfire doesn't cut to the chase, I think I'll be tethering my way there.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:53 PM
Banned User

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2conscious View Post
Thanks for all of the intelligent replies all, I'll go ahead and keep my data usage to a minimum, as we all know it can be shut off at any time, and I really enjoy having a smart phone for 50$/unlimited everything.

However, whenever I'm in need to do some quick browsing, and Opera/Skyfire doesn't cut to the chase, I think I'll be tethering my way there.

Thanks guys.
also if your phone decides to kick the bucket you wont have a warranty to cover it and get it replaced and you'll have to buy a brand new one. one day they will eventually catch on and then kick all unauthorized phones from their network.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Dean_L is a n00b

Quote:
one day they will eventually catch on and then kick all unauthorized phones from their network.
Your naive if you think they haven't "caught on" I just put a TP2 on my long standing Boost account after the Mogul, the 8350i, etc. I had before. They KNOW exactly what phone it is. So they themselves "authorized it."
Old 01-01-2011, 06:47 PM
VIP MVP
Pocket PC: TP Dos/OG Epic/Touch
Carrier: Sprint

masetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuff
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
also if your phone decides to kick the bucket you wont have a warranty to cover it and get it replaced and you'll have to buy a brand new one. one day they will eventually catch on and then kick all unauthorized phones from their network.

They know this and been knowing this. They added the phone to the network this aint GSM where you just pop in the sim card. In fact theres many sprint and boost employees on this type of forums. Warranty sucks a** and the $ u save every month within two months u can go buy another tp2 on craigs or ebay.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by masetas View Post
They know this and been knowing this. They added the phone to the network this aint GSM where you just pop in the sim card. In fact theres many sprint and boost employees on this type of forums. Warranty sucks a** and the $ u save every month within two months u can go buy another tp2 on craigs or ebay.
jaja love it when people say warranty sucks. what happens when u goto a car dealership and buy a car without a warranty and then it breaks down, guess what happens? boom repair charges up the nalga,same with car insurance get in an accident what happens? person presses charges and u have to pay full price for a new car. same thing applies to phone insurance something goes wrong u have little or no luck its true that u can buy a new one off ebay or craigs but it may be worse condition than anyone asurion or sprint can give out.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Tags
lol, n00b