PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Rainbow smudge on 6mo old TP2 (sprint), what to do? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=138918)

Procter 12-28-2010 04:13 PM

Rainbow smudge on 6mo old TP2 (sprint), what to do?

Just noticed that my 6 months old Touch Pro2 has developed this rainbow oily smudge at the center of the LCD screen, as discussed a lot here at ppcgeeks. This problem haunted me throughout all my ownership of htc devices, from touch to diamond and now TP2.

Problem now is I don't have TEP. I've contacted Sprint, and they said not much they can do, need to pay $35 to see if the repair center can repair it or contact HTC warranty. I also called HTC, and they need 2+ weeks turn around time plus my money for shipping and handling, moreover, numerous horrible stories here and Xda about HTC warranty holding phones as ransom asking you pay excessive fee to repair and shipping even though it's under warranty.

I also tried the duct tape method which did not work.

So now would you guys give some tips or suggestions what my best bet is? My touch screen still works and the phone is in perfect shape except the smudge. Should I live with it or get it fixed ASAP (people said the smudge would eventually kill the touch screen).

Thanks.

drewcam888 12-28-2010 04:27 PM

Re: Rainbow smudge on 6mo old TP2 (sprint), what to do?

leave it alone unless you can't stand the look

eric12341 12-28-2010 04:34 PM

did u have a screen protector? another story about someone not having TEP, i really can't see how someone could go around without this, its like driving a car w/o insurance.

darren.wlsn1 12-28-2010 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2025577)
did u have a screen protector? another story about someone not having TEP, i really can't see how someone could go around without this, its like driving a car w/o insurance.

never had it and never will and i get nibs for a phone thats 2yrs old.

Procter 12-28-2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 (Post 2025594)
never had it and never will and i get nibs for a phone thats 2yrs old.

How and where? More details pls

Procter 12-28-2010 05:37 PM

BTW, anyone live around DC/MD/VA area please recommend a friendly sprint store for me? The closest repair store I found is the one at Laurel, MD and fenton st. Silver Spring. If you have nice experience in a store close by, pls share or pm me. Thanks a lot.

And should I only go to corporate store not the ones run by 3rd party?

Thanks.

darren.wlsn1 12-28-2010 06:00 PM

im in central pa but when i got a issue like yours i just tell them (nicely) its a manufacturer issue and tell them how long you have been with sprint and love them and the phone and i almost always get nib but sometimes i get a refurb which is ok with me and i just had a issue with epic thats 3mths old and got nib one sent to house.

Procter 12-28-2010 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 (Post 2025629)
im in central pa but when i got a issue like yours i just tell them (nicely) its a manufacturer issue and tell them how long you have been with sprint and love them and the phone and i almost always get nib but sometimes i get a refurb which is ok with me and i just had a issue with epic thats 3mths old and got nib one sent to house.

You called toll free or walk in store? I emailed them once, got reply said sorry; talked to a dedicate cusotmer service line for consumerist readers, asked nicely, but she said sorry as well.

And your experiences are recent? I used to have ecare to send NIB phones for replacement even after 30days, but since late 2008 when they changed the customer service structure I've had no luck at all.

darren.wlsn1 12-28-2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Procter (Post 2025635)
You called toll free or walk in store? I emailed them once, got reply said sorry; talked to a dedicate cusotmer service line for consumerist readers, asked nicely, but she said sorry as well.

i go to stores but call sometimes and that also worked, all depends on the rep

Nickdrakewhat 12-29-2010 01:31 PM

had this issue a couple months ago. it is a known issue. take it to a store and assuming you have TEP, demand a replacement (because they won't fix it). if they ask what it effects, say the on-screen keyboard and makes it annoying to watch videos (like youtube).

if that doesn't work. call cust. service and demand a replacement and threaten to cut your contract.