PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Windows won't recongnize my tp2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=138543)

Mike5150 12-18-2010 12:01 PM

Windows won't recongnize my tp2

I'm having trouble getting my computer to recognize my TP2 when I connect it. Here's what I've tried, hopefully someone else can help me figure out what's going on.
  • When I plug it in, the LED on the phone lights up and it will charge the phones battery.
  • It's been having this problem for a while now. I have tried re-flashing the phone a few times. It worked one time but didn't last long, the second time I re flashed it didn't make a difference.
  • I've also upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 recently and that did not help.
  • I have tried 3 different usb cables and none work.
  • In Vista, I could get it to work if I opened WMDC manually, but doing so in Windows 7 doesn't help.
  • My computer will recognize my wife's Kin TwoM instantly (uses a different cable though), but the computer doesn't react at all when I plug my TP2 in.
  • In the past, the active sync window would pop up on my phone asking if I want to connect through Active Sync, Disk Drive, or internet sharing. This window no longer comes up when I plug my phone in.
  • I have tried plugging the phone into all 3 of the computers in my house (One is a Mac, and the other is an old laptop running XP which I have synced to in the past) and no luck with those.
The only thing I can think of is that it's a hardware issue and I'll have to send it back to verizon, but I would rather not have to wipe the phone and re-lock it since I am running a custom ROM just to talk to their tech support people and let them run me through everything that I've already tried.

Thanks!

boredandtattooed 12-18-2010 01:26 PM

Re: Windows won't recongnize my tp2

settings>connection>USBtoPC - popup selection is checked???

have you tried soft resetting the device while its plugged into the PC??

could have a bent pin in your phones usb port as well, so when you plug it in, its not reading the device right - thus only charging...

idk

Mike5150 12-18-2010 01:55 PM

Yes, the popup selection is checked, and I've tried all connection with no success.

Just tried the soft reset idea, and it didn't work.

Your probably right with the bent pin.

Does anyone know where I can download a stock verizon rom that is not in exe format? I need to flash it from the sd card so I need to get the nbh file. The only Stock ROM's I could find are in exe.

boredandtattooed 12-18-2010 02:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i know windows gives stock rom its own Icon.. but you can right click it still and "open with" i just picked winzip to test it and it opens fine and shows you the nbh to extract... so you dont need anything else..

see screenshot

Mike5150 12-18-2010 02:09 PM

Thanks! Looks like I forgot to install WinRar when I upgraded to Win7, I thought you could extract files from Exe's, but couldn't figure out why it wasn't giving me the option.

eric12341 12-18-2010 04:01 PM

try buying a brand new usb cable and trying that. it could be possible that all 3 of your usb cables are screwed up. you can find them for dirt cheap on ebay.

jac187 12-19-2010 02:03 PM

sounds like the problem i had when i first got my TP2. turned out to be a hardware issue and i got replacement phone. there are some other threads regarding this issue.

when i had the problem, i tried different computers, cables, settings etc. even the sprint store tech couldnt get his pc to recognize it

telsea 12-20-2010 09:00 PM

hate to be another "when I had the problem" but, when I had the problem..lol I had to remove windows device mobile center and reinstall it (downloaded from windows.com).

eric12341 12-20-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telsea (Post 2017104)
hate to be another "when I had the problem" but, when I had the problem..lol I had to remove windows device mobile center and reinstall it (downloaded from windows.com).

if he cant even get his PC to recognize it in disk drive mode or when trying to flash a ROM then uninstalling and reinstalling WMDC wont help as WMDC has nothing to do with flashing a ROM or using it as a disk drive.

Mike5150 12-22-2010 02:40 PM

Looks like it was a hardware issue, Thanks for all the help! I just received my replacement from Verizon and it connects perfectly.

Thanks again!
Mike