PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 07:06 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT
Does anyone use A-GPS on a TP2 ?

So, I have been one battling with a owned copy of TomTom 7 with last years maps and after dealing with the UN-DEPENDABLE GPS and lag on the TP2, I gave up on it.

I tried another program's demo (NAVIGON), all my GPS settings are correct and over 45 min, I could not get a lock but, yesterday, I got a lock in about 5 min. Tomtom is questionable but, will get a lock, sometimes. This is also after using the download of the sats apps.

This is driving me nuts, it's the time of the year where I will use GPS in other people's cars and I need to have it working. This is pointless if I can't get a reasonable lock on a modern phone.

When I had my Titan (xv6800), I used A-GPS and I could, 98% of the time, get a lock within 10-15 SECONDS, with out A-GPS, it was just as bad as the TP2. With A-GPS on the titan, I could call GPS dependable and fast, it worked when I needed it and if not, a reboot fixed it.

Everything I had read here says to disable A-GPS to get GPS working correctly on the TP2.

I was wondering if anyone is using A-GPS and what is your results with it ? Do you get quick locks ? Is it dependable ?

I'm on a quest to get QUICK (under 20 seconds) and dependable (95-98% of the time, if outdoors) locks on the TP2, is it even possable ?

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !
Old 12-08-2010, 07:27 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Verizon)
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

LinkRS is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: Does anyone use A-GPS on a TP2 ?

Hi DavidinCt,

I have a TP2 that I have toyed with Bing and Google Maps on it. I get realatively quick GPS locks woth both of those apps, but I am unfamilar with "turning off A-GPS" on this device, as from what I understand that is how the GPS chip in this device functions.

With that said, I have had 5 TP2s since I got mine this past Feb, and a couple of the replacements were for a faulty GPS. Both of those units would rarely get a lock. All of my unts that had functioning GPS get a second in no more than about 20 seconds (after a power cycle, usually less than 5 normally). I am currently running the new "MR3" stock ROM from VZW.

The one catch with Bing, is the VZW provided one disables navigation, as they want you to use VZ Navigator. Use the IE Browser (not Opera) on the device to download Bing directly from the 'net to get the version with navigation. Hope this helps!

Rich S.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT
So, I have been one battling with a owned copy of TomTom 7 with last years maps and after dealing with the UN-DEPENDABLE GPS and lag on the TP2, I gave up on it.

I tried another program's demo (NAVIGON), all my GPS settings are correct and over 45 min, I could not get a lock but, yesterday, I got a lock in about 5 min. Tomtom is questionable but, will get a lock, sometimes. This is also after using the download of the sats apps.

This is driving me nuts, it's the time of the year where I will use GPS in other people's cars and I need to have it working. This is pointless if I can't get a reasonable lock on a modern phone.

When I had my Titan (xv6800), I used A-GPS and I could, 98% of the time, get a lock within 10-15 SECONDS, with out A-GPS, it was just as bad as the TP2. With A-GPS on the titan, I could call GPS dependable and fast, it worked when I needed it and if not, a reboot fixed it.

Everything I had read here says to disable A-GPS to get GPS working correctly on the TP2.

I was wondering if anyone is using A-GPS and what is your results with it ? Do you get quick locks ? Is it dependable ?

I'm on a quest to get QUICK (under 20 seconds) and dependable (95-98% of the time, if outdoors) locks on the TP2, is it even possable ?
Did you disable AGPS?
If not I believe it is enabled by default.
Run QuickGPS and let windows manage settings automatically with the gps apps you use. I use bing and I get locks in about 5 seconds or less and turn by turn works great. I'm on sprint though.

If I were you, I would flash the full MR3 updated rom not just the radio. Then run QuickGPS and soft reset. Then install the latest Bing and try to get a lock.

Last edited by horndoctor; 12-08-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: OnePlus 8 5G
Carrier: T-Mobile

demonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; MSM Build/MASTER) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Yeah, the mr3 update has a new radio. Might be what you need to get the data moving faster.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:08 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

mwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the community

If your sense 'my location' works, then your a-gps works. It goes off of cell towers instead of the phone's gps. If you're having problems and you are on a custom ROM, try a stock ROM and see if they persist. If there are still problems, it's likely something wrong with the hardware.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:21 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 - Energy 6.5 ROM

Erythros is keeping up the good workErythros is keeping up the good work

@David,
I feel your pain with using TOMTOM on the TP2.
I am having the same issues you are having on my TP2, and I also had these issues on the TP1.
Using TOMTOM on my old 6700 & 6800 worked flawlessly (Neither used A-GPS).
On my TP2 it seemingly works great after a hard reset, but soon thereafter get really flaky. I have made just about every recommended setting change to get it to work consistently but to no avail.
Using Advanced config you have to specify disable A-GPS, Disable log file, delete log file.

Google and Bing lock quickly, always.
One trick that used to work would be to load up google maps which comes in mosts roms or you can get for free.
Once Google locks on to satellites, load TOMTOM leaving google maps running in the background. Quick Lock.

/Hope this helps
//Best I got for now.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:09 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalt2 View Post
If your sense 'my location' works, then your a-gps works.
this is false, i installed sense 2.1 on the sprint stock 6.1 ROM and the My Location does not work (says some component is missing) but yet my gps works fine.

OP try bing the navigation on there is top notch, way better than the carrier provided programs (sprint version had HUGE lag on my TP)
Old 12-11-2010, 08:46 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

yankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Having agps along with location on makes your gps programs work better. It stands for assisted gps. It just helps your gps startup faster and work better. Using it on a stock rom or custom rom shouldn't matter since most custom roms work just as good as stock ones. With agps and location on my custom rom on my tp2 it works great. Never had a problem. Only problem you have is if you don't have data signal coverage the maps wont update. Otherwise the gps along with agps helps you, it doesn't hurt you. That said, you should always have agps ON.
Google just announced the newest update on their google maps that is coming soon, the ability to use navigation without data. It is going to cache the maps so that if you drive in area with bad coverage you still have navigation available.
A custom rom that I used that had great gps assistance is energy. I still have it on my tp2 although it is now my backup phone since I upgraded to an evo

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

Free! Full Body Protection for your smartphone.
http://stealthguards.com/idevaffilia...ate.php?id=417
Old 12-11-2010, 10:04 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2 XV6875
Carrier: CMCC

alva is a n00b

i think Google maps must run with A-GPS enable. my phone run with GSM service, usually i use a GPS app called NaviOne, it must re-enable Phone setting-GSM service-Location setting ON first, then run quickgps to download satellites. and before run the GPS app NaviOne, i run the HTC GPStool or GPS viewer first, lock quickly, otherwise needs about several minutes.

Last edited by alva; 12-11-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:17 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT

So, I setup my phone with A-gps exactly how I did it on my titan and it gets 15-30 second locks, so it's all good...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2