PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

View Poll Results: Good time to leave TP2?
Yes 15 55.56%
No 12 44.44%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 03:07 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

warheed is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to warheed
Good time to leave TP2?

Let me start off by saying this was my first 'smart phone.' My experience has been phenomenal. After unlocking, I opened a whole new realm to this device than anticipated. I have flashed just about every reasonable rom and enjoyed countless cabs. I even haret'd my way to Android. In other words, I have learned EVERYTHING I know about mobile phones because of how interested I got in this phone.

I have decided right now is an optimal time for an upgrade*. I am not eligible for one until the 1st of January 2011, but I actually spent a while with customer service today convincing them to push it forward. The most I could get was December 18th (2 weeks.) I have been with Sprint for 4 years now and I even pay premium insurance and haven't used it once.. Has anyone got an upgrade earlier than that?

Anyway, I have decided on the 18th that I will be getting the Epic. It was a toss up between the Epic and the Evo, but I think I'll take the Epic for the Amoled and obviously the slide out qwerty. Both are Android, which I am not very familiar with, but with WP7 still in the works of even getting safely unlocked and surfacing decent cabs, I'll go with Android for a little while. I might come check out WP7 when the HD 7 comes out.

Well, sorry this was so long, all I really wanted was a few opinions on my decision and how 'early' they're giving me my upgrade *(I am on Sprint Premier and I'm offered one every 12 months).

Thread reopened by OP for true interest in opinion.

Last edited by warheed; 12-05-2010 at 11:05 AM. Reason: violation?
Old 12-05-2010, 03:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

chardog is keeping up the good workchardog is keeping up the good work
Re: Good time to leave TP2?

I would get the lg optimus right now. tomorrow is the last day for the free phone. Android is a like a mix between windows mobile and iphone. All the positives of each system without the negatives of wm. much faster and stable than the tp2. The evo and epic are nice, but I'm too cheap to pay the extra 10, on top of that, you can transition to soft keyboard pretty easily if you're good at swype. Plenty of people do fine on iphone's keyboard and I'll tell you that my LG is pretty damn close to the soft keyboard that iphone offers. Very usable, and swype is just cake on top of it.

major downside is the ability to edit docs and sync to outlook. It's so major that you should consider buying an app to handle it (applies to outlook users). I paid nearly $30 for some excellent software that is not offered in windows. Gsyncit = awesome sync tool. Tasker.... excellent automation tool. Your phone is crazy configurable with tasker... I mean it's too damn extensive to list. Single best software I've ever seen in any phone OS. You can have your phone switch to vibrate at work, switch on wifi at home, turn to silent during bed time, ect ect ect
Old 12-05-2010, 08:28 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chardog View Post
I would get the lg optimus right now. tomorrow is the last day for the free phone. Android is a like a mix between windows mobile and iphone. All the positives of each system without the negatives of wm. much faster and stable than the tp2. The evo and epic are nice, but I'm too cheap to pay the extra 10, on top of that, you can transition to soft keyboard pretty easily if you're good at swype. Plenty of people do fine on iphone's keyboard and I'll tell you that my LG is pretty damn close to the soft keyboard that iphone offers. Very usable, and swype is just cake on top of it.

major downside is the ability to edit docs and sync to outlook. It's so major that you should consider buying an app to handle it (applies to outlook users). I paid nearly $30 for some excellent software that is not offered in windows. Gsyncit = awesome sync tool. Tasker.... excellent automation tool. Your phone is crazy configurable with tasker... I mean it's too damn extensive to list. Single best software I've ever seen in any phone OS. You can have your phone switch to vibrate at work, switch on wifi at home, turn to silent during bed time, ect ect ect
says la molestia

and thread reported BTW
Old 12-05-2010, 10:24 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

You may be able to convince them to bring up the date...those with 2 year contracts ive seen people move up by 4-6 month when lucky...premier upgrade is a bit tougher...but Ive seen people get 1 month out of them..

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Telesales Launch Day H/W Rev.)
Carrier: Sprint PCS

SweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
and thread reported BTW
Why? The OP wanted info on his options after already deciding to move away from his TP2. Since he is still "officially" a TP2 user (until he actually gets his next phone), he posted to the TP2 forum.

Further, while he could have posted this thread in "Off Topic" - It's not off topic. He wanted the opinion of other TP2 users who have switched, and he got that.

It sounds to me like you guard this forum like a 3-headed dog, and attack if anyone should dare speak of moving away from the TP2. I've got news for you - It's going to happen, whether you like it or not. The only question is - Will you continue to act like a small child who sticks their fingers in their ears at the first mention of switching away (ala "I can't HEAR you!") or will you be an adult and actually try to answer their questions constructively?
This post has been thanked 8 times.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:39 AM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by warheed View Post
Thread edited by OP for (violation?)
Your not committing any violations.. these kind of threads usually fall into a gray area so its up to the mod of this section to decide if he wants to move it..but I guarantee you its not a violation lol
Old 12-05-2010, 11:14 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
You may be able to convince them to bring up the date...those with 2 year contracts ive seen people move up by 4-6 month when lucky...premier upgrade is a bit tougher...but Ive seen people get 1 month out of them..
I have the 2 year premier everything data contract. I started it with my TP2 on 1/1/10. They said the best they could do for me was to move my upgrade from 1/1/11 to 12/17/10. That's crazy people have got their upgrade half a year early! Unless you're talking about 4-6 months before their 2 year anniversary.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:25 AM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by warheed View Post
I have the 2 year premier everything data contract. I started it with my TP2 on 1/1/10. They said the best they could do for me was to move my upgrade from 1/1/11 to 12/17/10. That's crazy people have got their upgrade half a year early! Unless you're talking about 4-6 months before their 2 year anniversary.
I was talking about 2 years...but as stated on 1 year you might be able to get them to make it a month off...
Old 12-05-2010, 12:12 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

I was on the phone for about an hour with a few different supervisors for different departments. Two weeks was apparently the best they could do, and of course they tried to jerk me around.. I think I could have told the sales supervisor that I was told by another department they would give me the upgrade 1 month early, they would have just done it. They didn't ask any questions when I told them about my promised 2 weeks.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:38 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch (SGS2)

eman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Switched from a TP2 to an Evo the day it was released. Best phone I have used to date and I have been using smartphones for the past 10 years.

One great thing about the EVO is the amount of support you will find for it and custom Roms. Can't speak for the EPIC but for the EVO we have Roms that include the new Sense, MIUI Roms, AOSP Roms, and a ton of the standard Sense Roms.

The development on the EVO has been insane! Might want to take a look at that for the EPIc and see where they stand. Also, I will take the larger screen over a slightly better screen any day.....

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Tags
useless thread