PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 01:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: boostmobile

rayfrausto is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
stock rom vs custom

okay ive read alot about this n alot of people told me that stock rom is more stable so i wanna no if having a custom rom will free up memory or make my tp2 faster im lookin for a fast reliable rom any sugestions on custom rom vs stock
Old 12-07-2010, 02:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 6850
Carrier: Sprint

travissand is becoming a great contributor
Re: stock rom vs custom

Im back to stock 6.1 after trying 7 different buggy battery hogging roms. And have been since 5-2010. I ran the clean up utility for the stock rom http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-touch-...2-cleanup.html and I can recommend it. I turned off all the eye candy. And installed SPB Pocket Pluss. Access to anything I need in 2 touches or less. And a load of info on the today screen. Nothing beets it. Unless you want eye candy like 99% of the people on here. Eye candy may be pretty but its not as functional. If you want pretty install spb mobile shell and buy 2 extra batteries.
The guy with all the eye candy says Hey my phone is better then your iPhone, just come look at it, Wow it is so cool dont you thin..k .... Oh well Um hold on let me just reset real fast (slow) (pulling cover off to STAB the reset button) and then Ill show you. Ahh I guess maby a hard reset will do. Illl just show you tomorrow. (Up all night reflashing)

Last edited by travissand; 12-07-2010 at 02:58 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:47 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Micro$oft 950
Carrier: AT&T

steveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

All the roms being put out today are amazingly fast, stable and flashing still never gets old. My advice.. If you decide to release the "krakken" you'll be hooked. Everyone will have their own opinion. The best will be yours. Give a few a try. Each chef has a lil something different to offer. And, there are always great people hanging around for great advice, info, or fixes. I see your on boost. You might drop into timberwolf or sharkies posts. Seen some boost users in there.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:49 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

IMO
The shipped Sprint 6.1 rom is very stable and fast if it is configured properly. You just have to invest some time to trim some of the fat and set it up the way you want it. If you want eye candy then it's probably not for you. The 6.5 Sprint rom however, has some problems that I would rather not deal with.

Flashing a custom rom is the fastest way for you to reconfigure your device. A chef configures and tweaks (cooks) it the way they like it and/or the way thier users want it and then you flash it to your device. With custom roms you usually get to use the newer versions of Windows Mobile and in some cases experience better performance and more capability than you would with a shipped rom. Although, depending on what the rom chef includes or takes out of the rom some things may not work as well as they do with a shipped rom. This is why what one person likes may not be what another person wants. You probably will have to try a few to see what you like. There are many to choose from.

If you want a really personalized rom you can use a kitchen and cook your own rom. If you decide to do this there are probably many people here that can guide you.
Good Luck!
Old 12-07-2010, 04:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

thank u all for your replies so i just want a rom that will run everything fast with no delays and fast browsing experience and dosent hog up my battery... does spint rom have alot of software that slows you down i want bassially wat i use to use uup my memeory but im not to smart and experienced so how do i do this???
Old 12-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

ok what makes this thread any different than say this one ? todos de los menos de cincuenta son iguales i tell ya. but to answer ur question if u want stability the stock 6.1 and the sprint basics roms cannot be beat. if u want a nice balance of stability and eye candy u can use any of thr 6.5 21916 roms on the upgrade section but if u want more eye candy than stability look for a 6.5.x rom (like vin's plutonium). i myself am back on the stock 6.1 because in every cooked rom things that i require just end up borked. in the latest lead rom i couldnt send MMS and OzIM wasnt saving my pwd info (tho he fixed this so im just waiting for a new sprint rom from him) as far as ram the 6.5 21916s are decent till u get to the 3rd or 4th day then ull have to soft reset as the amount of ram is less than that of a dell axim x51v, with the 6.5.x roms the ram drained faster.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

okay i am currently running the sprint 6.5 and its okay but i am trying to edit it to take out the things i dont need and try to customize it so my phone will run smoother but its a lil confusing to me i dont want to delete items i need...
Old 12-07-2010, 06:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 6850

travissand is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfrausto View Post
okay i am currently running the sprint 6.5 and its okay but i am trying to edit it to take out the things i dont need and try to customize it so my phone will run smoother but its a lil confusing to me i dont want to delete items i need...
See my post number 2. click on the link to the clean up and tweeks link. or just click here http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-touch-...2-cleanup.html.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Its FLASHING time!!!
Pocket PC: Evo & TP2
Carrier: SPCS

vin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by travissand View Post

Im back to stock 6.1 after trying 7 different buggy battery hogging roms. And have been since 5-2010. I ran the clean up utility for the stock rom
Am I in this list as well?
Old 12-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by travissand View Post
See my post number 2. click on the link to the clean up and tweeks link. or just click here http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-touch-...2-cleanup.html.
yea +1 to that. im currently back on the stock 6.1 because the sending of mms wasnt working on the latest lead rom. with stock plus those cleanup cabs the tp2 is really reliable and stable and i even went a step further and replaced the TF3D in the stock rom with a sense 2.1 cab but i might switch to the sprint basics rom (stock with sense 2.1 built in) because i cant get location weather to work.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2