PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

Brian23 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help me with TP2 contacts

I have been using a TP2 for the past year and recently got a samsung moment. I had sprint transfer all of my contacts to the moment in store. They stayed for a little while then more than half "fell off". I then bluetoothed the contacts that fell off back to the phone one by one. The contacts were back in the moment. I then synced my moment with gmail contacts to try and back them up but the ones that fell off and then bluetoothed did not show up on my contacts for gmail.... just the ones that never fell off. Then about an hour later I checked and the ones that I bluetoothed from TP2 to Samsung moment fell off again (once after sprint transferred and the once after bluetoothed). The original 46 that never fell off were still there and they transferred to my gmail contacts. What gives with the ones falling off and not syncing? Can someone please help?
Old 11-13-2010, 02:20 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
Re: Help me with TP2 contacts

gmail/google is very, Very picky... if you contact structure is not the following: (555) 555-5555 than Android/Google will not transfer it... i know this from a few errors during setting up Android on the TP2...

if you really want every number, download Thunderbird(ill attach) and send all your contacts to a .csv file... then goto Google/gmail and Import said csv file... right then ALL your contacts should be in... but pay attention, anything not properly formatted(see above - notice area code in "()" and the space before the first 3 numbers) will Not transfer when you sync...

I had a Ton of numbers start showing with no info in Android, then when it sync'd and because i dual sync Android and WM Contacts, my winMO side erased a bunch of stuff as well.... luckily once properly loaded into gmail/google, your contacts always remain, even if messed up... I had to go in, add "()" to area codes and such.. then when all done, hit sync and ANdroid and winMO both properly displayed my contacts...

The same issue even affected my YouMail account.. becsuse gmail contacts werent properly done, YouMail wasnt working right..

recap:

install TBExport on your old winMO device(dont worry, doesnt need to be active) and save contacts to csv..
delete ALL gmail/google contacts
Import csv into Google
Edit All contacts to proper formatt (555) 555-5555
save and sync
should be solid!

**NOTE** gmail has categories that Android doesnt recognize.. ie "Cell 2", "Main" maybe some other categories... if your gmail has mobile 1 and 2, or "Main" numbers saved for one contact, mobile 2/Main number will fail and not show or possibly even prevent the entire contact from syncing...

**note 2** i do my editing via Laptop.. if you do as well, youll see in your gmail contacts that if the number ISNT properly formatted then your computer wont highlight the numbers(it highlights the number to show it can be dialed from the Desktop-Internet Calling).. this was how i knew what my issue was... now every contact highlights and is on both winMO and Android and dual sync properly

**last note** if you have alot of contacts this may take an hour or more, but once its done youll never have issues again... also when saving new contacts on the device, make sure they match the formatt and theyll sync into google/gmail for you as well and not be lost some day

thats what ive got based on my own experience of losing contacts via google/gmail sync...

might be better serve in the Android forums as well if you have continued issues, theres not gonna be a ton of people in TP2 forums who can help unless theyre running Android as well

damn that was long lol
Attached Files
File Type: zip TBExport.zip (8.9 KB, 9 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by boredandtattooed; 11-13-2010 at 02:23 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

Brian23 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Thanks, I will have to reformat a lot of the contacts to meet google's liking....but at least they are there. I appreciate it.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:55 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian23 View Post
Thanks, I will have to reformat a lot of the contacts to meet google's liking....but at least they are there. I appreciate it.
no problem.. and yeah, it can take awhile.. took me about 2 1/2 hours.. but it was worth it to never worry about it again... you can also add contact pics through google as well... or if they have a gmail email addy and a pic assigned it will automatically show as well..

enjoy the editing lol

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2