PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   TP2 Heard me talk about replacement...committed suicide (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=136611)

razgriz1138 11-08-2010 11:22 AM

TP2 Heard me talk about replacement...committed suicide

Ok, this is weird. So the weather has changed to frakking cold here in MD. Had the phone charging in my cold car this morning...parked, went out into the cold to walk into my office. Walked into the rather toasty office and sat the phone down on my desk.

A co-worker and I were checking out new phones etc, when i went to grab mine, and the digitizer glass is cracked top to bottom. I can only assume it's from the temperature changes...the phone wasn't dropped, smashed, bashed or trashed....has anyone else had this happen to them? I'm certain that Asureon won;t cover this under warrenty...so I'll be out another $50 again. Guess I shouldn't have been picky when it started acting up to begin with.

But has anyone else seen this happen before? If so, how to people in like Alaska etc deal with this....do I need screen warmers or something?!?!?

demonlordoftheround 11-08-2010 01:14 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

And that is also a good way to get condensation inside your phone. I guess the thing to do is always keep your phone on you or somewhere semi warm at least.

[sammich] 11-08-2010 01:49 PM

Re: TP2 Heard me talk about replacement...committed suicide

Keep in mind the screens on phones are LCDs; LIQUID Crystal Displays. The volume of the liquid expands by about 10% when it reaches freezing point. To be honest, its not very likely that it would crack if exposed to extreme cold for a short period of time, so its possible that it froze JUST RIGHT and busted the glass. Glass has a nasty habit of being unpredictable. It can take either massive pressure or very little pressure at the right angle to brake it.

The best suggestion is to always have it on you so it stays warm. It won't survive by itself in the cold :(

razgriz1138 11-08-2010 05:36 PM

I think I figured out what happened...

Step one: Cold day outside...got in my car, plugged in my phone to charge, while also running Slacker Radio....generating heat.

Step two: Shut off Slacker, put phone to sleep, got out of car in sub 40degree weather.

Step Three: 2 minute walk to office, holding phone in hand exposed to cold air.

Step four: entered office that had the heat blaring, at around 80 degrees.

I think the Hot to Cold to Hot created a perfect storm and that's all she wrote.

Tried to explain it to Verizon to see what they would do...interestingly enough they told me to take it to a store and if it could be determined that it wasn't a drop that did it, they would replace. Went to the store, and the Service Rep refused to look at it as they no longer carry the phone and referred me to Asurion. Going to try one more Verizon store before calling to complain. Normally i wouldn't complain, but if customer service offered to fix it, I might as well take them up on it...just one crappy tech who didn't want to be bothered. Guess we'll see what happens. Regardless, I'm up for an upgrade in a few weeks, so it might be time to jump ship if there is a good enough deal out there.

eric12341 11-08-2010 08:56 PM

no jumping ship. this might be a good time to stick it through till the end of ur contract and go to a cheaper provider with better and 4G service (ie sprint and now tmobile) and get a WP7.

razgriz1138 11-09-2010 10:52 AM

Actually, Verizon lived up to what they said. I have a new phone shipping out today...granted it's a refurbished TP2, but it's better then one with an imploded screen. Looks like I will be changing phones anyway soon....don't have a ton of money and the stepson wants to go with the Droid 2, and with VWZ doing a buy one get one, I might be rolling with one. I'm trying to convince him to wait a 6-8 weeks until the LTE phones come out...Baltimore is supposed to get LTE in the first batch, but try telling that to a 16 year old with money in the bank. I was hoping he would be enticed by the XBL features of the WP7 phones, but I guess we'll see what happens.