PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 11:49 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

nerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help with GPS problem TP2 1 is fine other is not

I have 2 Touch Pro 2's both Sprint stock 6.5 roms

For some reason I can not get GPS to work properly. after a long wait it starts to get some "signals" but no "locks" so not "fix" ie nothing google maps ozi or garmin can use.

Now on my original TP2 it works fine almost instantly getting a lock.

I compared GPS settings and Location settings of the two devices and they are identical.

Suggestions? could the almanac be out of date somehow? how do I even begin to diagnose this kind of problem?

Garmin finds 6 or 7 satellite but no fixes no locks. gpsweather finds a few but again no fixes so it errors out. I let the garmin sit for 20 minutes or more and it just keeps oscillating the signal strengths of each one some blacking out coming back up and down but never a fix never a log/lat lock so no mapping.

I have run quick GPS and it downloaded fine. Still no joy on the GPS lock.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by nerys; 11-01-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:02 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys
I have 2 Touch Pro 2's both Sprint stock 6.5 roms

For some reason I can not get GPS to work properly. after a long wait it starts to get some "signals" but no "locks" so not "fix" ie nothing google maps ozi or garmin can use.

Now on my original TP2 it works fine almost instantly getting a lock.

I compared GPS settings and Location settings of the two devices and they are identical.

Suggestions? could the almanac be out of date somehow? how do I even begin to diagnose this kind of problem?

Garmin finds 6 or 7 satellite but no fixes no locks. gpsweather finds a few but again no fixes so it errors out. I let the garmin sit for 20 minutes or more and it just keeps oscillating the signal strengths of each one some blacking out coming back up and down but never a fix never a log/lat lock so no mapping.

I have run quick GPS and it downloaded fine. Still no joy on the GPS lock.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
I suggest on the one that doesn't work you re-flash the stock 6.5 rom to task28 to completely clear the memory and then after it resets update your prl. Then run and update QuickGPS. It should work then.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:08 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

nerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Help with GPS problem TP2 1 is fine other is not

what is task 28 ?
Old 11-01-2010, 02:18 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

ahhh got it working !! I skipped the first 2 steps since I just hard reset installed 6.5 and hard reset earlier today did not know what task 28 was (did you mean task 29 ?? a search did turn on that but no task 2

updating the PRL is what did it !! gps synced up instantly like it usually does.

Thanks man !! I was getting really worried something was wrong with the hardware
Old 11-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Suuuper Geeenius

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

Quote:
ahhh got it working !! I skipped the first 2 steps since I just hard reset installed 6.5 and hard reset earlier today did not know what task 28 was (did you mean task 29 ?? a search did turn on that but no task 2

updating the PRL is what did it !! gps synced up instantly like it usually does.

Thanks man !! I was getting really worried something was wrong with the hardware
Glad you fixed it!

FYI
When you flash a shipped rom with a radio a task28 is performed which is similar to a task29 except it clears the radio portion of the memory as well as the rom so basically it clears a bit more than task29.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

a search of task28 got me nothing. do you have a good link for how to do that so if I need to in the future I can.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Suuuper Geeenius

Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

Quote:
a search of task28 got me nothing. do you have a good link for how to do that so if I need to in the future I can.
Well, the only way I know it can be done is when flashing a shipped rom with radio. I guess someone could make a tool to do it without flashing a shipped rom like the task29 tool but if it was used then each time a user would have to flash a radio along with flashing a new rom. That's why the task29 tool was made.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2