PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 11:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

New Daddy is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Extra dimming the backlight?

Can you dim the backlight even further than the default "dim" level of WM 6.5? I need to conserve battery as much as possible as I'm using my TP2 as a GPS tracker and it consumes a lot of power.

With my old HTC XV-6700, you could almost black out (and switch back on) the backlight by long-pressing the power button, but this doesn't seem to be part of TP2's feature. Any way (registry edit perhaps?) to further lower the dim level during idling?
Old 10-29-2010, 11:14 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
Re: Extra dimming the backlight?

you want to further DIM the light on the screen timeout??

dont think thats possible..

the reason your 6700 was almost black-the screen sucked to begin with lol
Old 10-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: OnePlus 8 5G
Carrier: T-Mobile

demonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Not sure how much more battery you can save, but nueclock control will let you underclock a touch pro2, but it will get slower to respond.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level

Why don't you scroll all the way over to the settings tab in sense... tap menu... tap all settings... tap system... tap power... tap backlight... Use the scroll bars under backlight adjustment to lower the brightness...

Or...

scroll to settings tab... tap sound & display... scroll to bottom of page... tap backlight... Use the scrolly bars...

The scrolly bars will only work if you unsellect the Automatically adjust backlight option...

Haunt Alaska

p.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

I don't think that's possible without modifying the HTC power drivers. But if its any consolation, you wouldn't save much battery life by turning off the backlight COMPLETELY.

If you want the calculations to prove it, I can show it to you.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:36 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTECHKA View Post
Why don't you scroll all the way over to the settings tab in sense... tap menu... tap all settings... tap system... tap power... tap backlight... Use the scroll bars under backlight adjustment to lower the brightness...

Or...

scroll to settings tab... tap sound & display... scroll to bottom of page... tap backlight... Use the scrolly bars...

The scrolly bars will only work if you unsellect the Automatically adjust backlight option...

Haunt Alaska

p.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [sammich] View Post
I don't think that's possible without modifying the HTC power drivers. But if its any consolation, you wouldn't save much battery life by turning off the backlight COMPLETELY.

If you want the calculations to prove it, I can show it to you.

You don't think it's possible?
I do it all the time. Check out my post just above yours.
Haunt Alaska
p.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:55 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: OverClocked & Energized Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

puff601 is halfway to VIP status based on reppuff601 is halfway to VIP status based on reppuff601 is halfway to VIP status based on reppuff601 is halfway to VIP status based on reppuff601 is halfway to VIP status based on reppuff601 is halfway to VIP status based on reppuff601 is halfway to VIP status based on reppuff601 is halfway to VIP status based on reppuff601 is halfway to VIP status based on reppuff601 is halfway to VIP status based on reppuff601 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

i had a pp6700 and every ppc after it with a slide out qwerty so i know what you are talking about. on the 6700 long press power key was mapped to toggle the backlight completely off or on. i dont know how much extra battery it would concern but i dont see why it isnt possible.... all you need is to find out is the name of the .exe of the backlight program. it should be somewhere in the windows folder. if you find that file and upload it here, ill handle the rest for you. all you would have to do then is drop the .lnk file i send back to you in your windows folder.

now the question is, is there a exe in windows that controls only the backlight? that IS the question. lol
Old 11-01-2010, 04:03 AM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTECHKA View Post
You don't think it's possible?
I do it all the time. Check out my post just above yours.
Haunt Alaska
p.
Err... I don't think you're thinking of the same thing as the OP is asking.

When you dim the backlight on the TP2 to the lowest, you can still see the screen in the dark. The 6700 actually killed the backlight on lowest brightness.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:54 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

btstarcher is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbtstarcher is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbtstarcher is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbtstarcher is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Try Lumos. I used to use it, but ironically I see better battery life without it. I only used it because I hate the bright screen when I'm in the dark; with the backlight off it's just right. For some reason the dimmest setting built in is like level 1 or 2, not 0.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Threadstarter

New Daddy is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by [sammich] View Post
Err... I don't think you're thinking of the same thing as the OP is asking.

When you dim the backlight on the TP2 to the lowest, you can still see the screen in the dark. The 6700 actually killed the backlight on lowest brightness.
Sammich is right. With 6700, when you set the dim light to the lowest, it virtually turned the backlight off. This could be done with long-pressing the power key, as I mentioned. This doesn't seem to be the case with TP2.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2