PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

Fr3nZy is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Some questions before overclocking TP2

So I got an extended battery now and want to try overclocking my TP2 but I have some quick question I can't find answers too. I'm going to use OCT.

1. Does overclocking exceed the design specs of the Qualcomm 7600? Or is the processor simply underclocked to 528mhz to begin with?
2. Other than the extra drain on the battery, will it adversely affect other hardware? I've heard of it being to cause of some SOD cases.
3. Is one overclocking app safer than the other?

My phone is a 1 month old replacement/refurb so it's kinda prestine. It has to last til I get a Phone 7 cmda phone next year. I don't want to send it to an early grave
Old 10-15-2010, 08:01 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TP
Carrier: Duh, think about it...

Talon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Some questions before overclocking TP2

Yes, inquiring minds want to know, especially #1.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

As I understand it, the cpu is set at 528mhz for maximum stability. Obviously, it is capable of higher speeds. The higher the speed the more unstable everything will be so that is why depending on your setup your top speed will vary. You will experience a SOD when you go past your top speed. Once you find your max(unless you have other problems)you won't get SOD.
I use and prefer the OCT 1.5 app. It's very simple in my opinion.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Captivate (GSM)
Carrier: AT&T

Miami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by horndoctor View Post
Yes, it is, but I've found several issues with it. For one, using it in dynamic mode can cause SODs and generally flaky behavior. I've had issues with clicking sounds during and SODs after phone calls. I also noticed that my movies that play smooth as silk in WMP without OCT suddenly become very jerky with OCT on. I also haven't seen any real performance improvement with OCT enabled, but my Tilt 2 wasn't all that slow to begin with. I think those running Sense 2.5 probably see more advantage. TF3D runs pretty well and I start with 52% RAM and hover around 55% all day.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:29 PM
Suuuper Geeenius

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Quote:
Yes, it is, but I've found several issues with it. For one, using it in dynamic mode can cause SODs and generally flaky behavior. I've had issues with clicking sounds during and SODs after phone calls. I also noticed that my movies that play smooth as silk in WMP without OCT suddenly become very jerky with OCT on. I also haven't seen any real performance improvement with OCT enabled, but my Tilt 2 wasn't all that slow to begin with. I think those running Sense 2.5 probably see more advantage. TF3D runs pretty well and I start with 52% RAM and hover around 55% all day.
It really depends on how you set it up. In my opinion, you shouldn't set i for more than 2 steps and right now I have it on 1 meaning when you do something it runs a OCd speed and then when you're not using it it will run at half speed and half speed is less than the stock speed of 528mhz which should save a little battery. Works great!
Old 10-15-2010, 10:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Captivate (GSM)
Carrier: AT&T

Miami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
It really depends on how you set it up. In my opinion, you shouldn't set i for more than 2 steps and right now I have it on 1 meaning when you do something it runs a OCd speed and then when you're not using it it will run at half speed and half speed is less than the stock speed of 528mhz which should save a little battery. Works great!
I agree, and it would be great if there were more info on just what the settings do. The whole thing about steps is kinda vague. What are your settings?
Old 10-16-2010, 01:21 AM
Suuuper Geeenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami_Son View Post
I agree, and it would be great if there were more info on just what the settings do. The whole thing about steps is kinda vague. What are your settings?
Look here:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/1974842-post94.html
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Threadstarter

Fr3nZy is a n00b

Quote:
thanks I'm trying it out with your settings.
I'm testing it by going to the music tab then turning the phone sideways so the 'cover flow' type album selection shows up. The animation seems much smoother.

Edit: Uh oh spontaneous hangups on standby

Last edited by Fr3nZy; 10-16-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Suuuper Geeenius

Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr3nZy
Quote:
thanks I'm trying it out with your settings.
The I'm testing it by going to the music tab then turning the phone sideways so the 'cover flow' type album selection shows up. The animation seems much smoother.

Edit: Uh oh spontaneous hangups on standby
You may need to lower your max speed a little or try 0 steps so it will stay at OCd speed at all times. SOD can occur when your device goes to standby depending on the rom you are running and your settings. You may have to experiment with your settings a little to find your sweet spot. Take your battery cover off while you are experimenting and then if you get a freeze up or crash just push your stylus into the red reset hole to soft reset.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon 4G

trogdor1138 is a n00b

I haven't had much luck with the OCT either, so I use the MSM overclock tool with the MortScript to monitor and adjust. Supposedly this adds more overheard and takes up additional RAM, but on a fast ROM like leadpoizon's, you don't even notice. I don't remember which thread I found the scripts from; if you want to try this method and can't find them let me know and I can attach them. Most ROM's have MortScript cooked in, but if not it's easy enough to find and install.

EDIT:
Here's a thread that explains the OCT settings.

This other one lists a few different methods of overclocking, including the script method. I'm currently at 768 mHz with a throttle of 604 mHz and have had no problems from sleep during calls, sleep after inactivity, or sleep while playing music.

Last edited by trogdor1138; 10-16-2010 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Added links

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2