PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

TOOL1075 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
US GSM Carrier Unlocked Sprint Touch Pro 2 - Data Issue

I unlocked my Sprint Touch Pro 2 and I am using an AT&T SIM card here in the United States successfully.

The first few times I used GSM mode, a menu would pop up and ask me which network settings I wanted to use (AT&T or T-Mobile).

Now, that menu is no longer popping up. So, I am unable to select the settings for AT&T. Data is now not working on GSM (the phone tries to dial #777 as if it is connected to Sprint).

How can I get that dialog box to pop back up and prompt me to pick the carrier settings? I'm assuming that is what will fix it.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

TOOL1075 is a n00b
Re: US GSM Carrier Unlocked Sprint Touch Pro 2 - Data Issue

well, I got it working by manually defining the following parameters in a new gprs network connection:

Access Point Name wap.cingular
Username WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password CINGULAR1

it works, but then when I go back to CDMA on Sprint, it tries to use this connection.

Is there an autoconfig program that I don't know about? It popped up on my screen when I first started switching between CDMA and GSM, but it hasn't come up again.....

How do I enable "auto-switching?" More importantly, why won't it just get this info from the AT&T SIM card? Why do I have to enter it for it to work now, when I didn't have to a few days ago?
Old 10-05-2010, 03:00 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

wrong forum.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/cdma-tp2-u...de-forums.html
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

TOOL1075 is a n00b

oops, yeah I second guessed myself. I almost posted in the correct forum, but then thought that this was more of a "custom" issue due to it being in relation to a US carrier unlocked phone.

I apologize.

So, now that people are actually able to read my question, any ideas?
Old 10-05-2010, 03:33 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL1075 View Post
oops, yeah I second guessed myself. I almost posted in the correct forum, but then thought that this was more of a "custom" issue due to it being in relation to a US carrier unlocked phone.

I apologize.

So, now that people are actually able to read my question, any ideas?
np bro, i wasnt sure where to put it cause its got gsm/cdma/upgrades all in post. lol
Old 10-05-2010, 07:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: The only $50 Touch Pro2
Carrier: gottaluvSPRINT

wampuscat is keeping up the good workwampuscat is keeping up the good work

I've got this same issue. The dialog would pop up on stock Rom but since I started flashing, data is a no go for ATT
Old 10-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

TOOL1075 is a n00b

I'm still on the stock ROM, and that's why I find it very strange that I don't get a dialogue box anymore.

The only thing I have done since it was working is install slacker (it's an internet radio program). Very weird.

If a dialogue box popped up before, it must be a program that is on the phone, so there must be a way to access it.... I just don't know what it is.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

TOOL1075 is a n00b

well, I looked through the Windows directory in the file system, and I didn't see any executable file that would enable me to select carrier-specific settings. I suppose that menu could be called by some other application though.

I did however find two cool applications called "FieldTest" and "FieldTrial" which let you see some cool info, including raw GPS data (coordinates, etc).

Aaaaanywaaaay........ anyone know how the hell you get the auto-switching to work for carrier settings? I know I'm not crazy, because someone else in this thread has confirmed it was working for him too.

Again, I'm still on the stock Sprint ROM. And, I can MANUALLY create a new network connection and used Edge data on AT&T, but that is a pain in the ass. I even installed a program that allows you to kill (or enable) data connections, but it doesn't offer a shortcut for this problem, unfortunately.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by TOOL1075; 10-05-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

TOOL1075 is a n00b

okay, I searched the registry for "connectionsetup" and I found some entries that seem to have something to do with auto detection and startup.

I changed all the values to "1" and turned off the phone. Took out the sim card. Started the phone, verified the values stayed as "1"

Then, I turned off the phone, put the sim card in, and started again. It detected the sim and switched to global mode and automatically connected to Sprint on CDMA. I switched to GSM only, and it connected to AT&T as normal.

No luck. I still have to manually configure network settings to get data to work on Edge. #777 errors will come up if I don't do this, because it will not auto-switch from Sprint to my custom AT&T network settings.

I saw some old HTC network wizard cabs when googling... maybe they have a function to get data from the SIM. That's what I thought this phone did the first time I used the SIM... so I may try those.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-05-2010, 11:29 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

TOOL1075 is a n00b

Okay guys - I figured it out. Well, I didn't figure out how to get that original dialog box to come up, but I did figure out how to make it auto-configure.

You can only add a new GSM connection type when in GSM mode. By default, in the "Select Networks" dialog of the "Advanced Tab" of the Connection Settings, you can pick from:

Sprint
My Work Network
My ISP

When you try to make a new connection under "Sprint," you can't make a GSM connection entry if you are still in CDMA mode. So, I ended up making a separate AT&T entry when I switched to GSM mode, so my new list looked like:

AT&T
Sprint
My Work Connection
My ISP

So, no auto-switch. I had to go back in here and switch to AT&T to enable data on GSM.

Then, I realized I should have just made a new GSM entry under the EXISTING Sprint category. (I didn't do this before because I didn't try to add a sub-connection under Sprint when in GSM mode. I only tried in CDMA mode, and you can't enter an APN there, etc).

So what I have now is:

Sprint
My Work Network
My ISP

and when I edit the "Sprint" connection, I get the following choices:

Auto pick
Sprint
AT&T (this will be whatever you name your new connection sub-entry)

So, I set it to "Auto pick" and it works!!!!!!!!!

I will be traveling overseas next week - hopefully I won't have trouble with the SIM cards I will be using.... the fact that the dialog box no longer shows up troubles me....
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2