PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 11:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2, EVO
Carrier: Sprint

CtDMonet is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Parental Control ROM?

I was talking to my brother about getting his 11yr old daughter a phone, and the trials and tribulations of a young pre-teen with a phone.

That got me to thinking - there has to be a ROM for that. I mean, parental oversight - locking down the phone after bedtime, only allowing certain approved contacts, ability to track phone. Any ideas?
Old 09-20-2010, 01:36 PM
lbcary

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: Parental Control ROM?

they make actual devices for kids and i thi k they even make devices for kids age 10-14 too.Ive seen a couple of these devices about 6 months ago and they were pretty simplified and the child could only call people in the devices contacts list and emergency services.That way the child cant just call whoever they want the parent has to approve who the child can call by only allowing them to call the numbers/people in their devices contact list,and it was passord protected. It had a 2.0 MP camera,Speakerphone,and i even saw a couple with data,internet,connections.They were pretty simplified and not the best devices,as far as we want from our devices,but they were built pretty tough.Some of them looked like u could throw the them against the wall,pick it back up and make a call.

u could also try just a bare/stripped rom and add only the apps/programs u want.There are also GPS apps u can buy that allow u to track someone in real time,anytime.Maybe set the browser homepage to google and change settings to strict search settings.I cant think of much else now,but if i think of anything else ill post it.Goodluck.Ive never had anyone ask that question,good question too.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:18 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Moved to Touch Pro 2 forum.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:17 PM
VIP Member - Retired
Pocket PC: Moto Flip>Smsng 8500>Razr v3m>Mogul>TP>3 TP2s+ ??
Carrier: Sprint Premier Gold- White Glove Status

teradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtDMonet View Post
I was talking to my brother about getting his 11yr old daughter a phone, and the trials and tribulations of a young pre-teen with a phone.

That got me to thinking - there has to be a ROM for that. I mean, parental oversight - locking down the phone after bedtime, only allowing certain approved contacts, ability to track phone. Any ideas?
if it's a windows phone, here's 2 free packages
1. remotetracker.cab
2. smartphonetrackerfreeinstall1.37.0.0.cab

search for them you'll find them...
simply send a text to that phone & it'll startup GPS (silently) & send you location.

also, google maps, latitude
Old 09-20-2010, 05:51 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

Probably not a rom but maybe there are apps out there that would lock certain things. You could probably control services with scripts using mortscript.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:16 PM
lbcary

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

The hardest part i can think of would be how to set the phone so that it can only be used certain hours of the day so the young kid cant sit and talk on the phone all night on a school night,or something similiar. but then i thought u could simply just use the devices lock code,or screen lock code and then just have the parent lock the device at a certain time at night and not let the kid know the unlock code/password.Then the parent can just unlock the phone for the child in the morning so they can use the device again.I personally dont ever lock my device with a code or password but i know they can be locked like that.I only turn the screen off or maybe use the default slide to unlock style that comes with the rom.
I also checked using the new google maps and u can locate someone whos signed in to google maps and allows friends to see their location.so as long as the adult is in the kids devices google maps latitude friends list they can see their location,but i do think both devices have to have the data conection active at the time.Im not sure about that but u could always just leave the childs devices data connection on.Theirs also an app where when u send a text it sends your location using google/bing maps. Its called Find Me and its only $1.99 or $2.99,i think, on Windows Mobile Marketplace.However its the exact opposite as what your looking for because it would require the kid to send u a text via the Find Me app on their device.I use it sometimes tho when i want to send directions to someone to my house or where to pick me up at. So if the child will answer the device and then send u a text u would then know their location too. However the above mentioned apps would work better for what you want.Thats just one extra option,say if your child goes to a friends after school he could then then just send u a text with the location and the option to use your GPS to go to the location,or at least a map to look at to lead u to their location.
I think it would be kind of cool to have a child-safe rom for some WM HTC devices. Maybe the Diamond,Touch Pro, and Touch Pro 2. All these devices are,in my opinion,tried and true devices that all have stable roms available for them already that u could build off of.
Just an idea.It would be nice if a chef would design a rather bare and simple child safe rom thats easy to use and has only the bare essentials and then whatever the parent wants to add could just be added via cab and u could have a list of cabs that would be useful for a parent setting up a rom for their childs device or maybe even a kitchen with only child safe,lock,password or code lock,special settings type files that can be added to the rom.If someone wants to cook rom,but i still think just a bare bones rom whether its Titanium,Sense 2.1, or Sense 2.5, any version would work well, be easy to use, and the parent can just install the wanted apps/programs via cab so the device is setup the way they want it.Still a good question cause now days some kids can work computers/phones better than some adults can so why not a rom for a childs device.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Tags
parental controls