PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 11:26 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

pufftissue is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Touch Pro 2 and Gmail: is it reliable?

Hi,

It's me again. It seems that the sleep of death bug may be more or less solved to my satisfaction (for now).

Now I have a new problem, and that is my gmail isn't reliable. The mail app will either say "disconnecting" or "receiving headers" and just kind of get stuck there. I just set up my gmail using the wizard, and it is using imap.

Is the fact that something as elementary as fetching gmail on the phone also unstable? I recall having this exact same problem with the mogul before as well, and I thought that this was a solved problem by now.

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2010, 11:46 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Carrier: Sprint

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Re: Touch Pro 2 and Gmail: is it reliable?

well I know hotmail and msn were having problems today, but otherwise it's in the way you have your gmail setup. are you using pop, imap, or exchange? pop3 is still around since it works elementary style..

I use exchange with gmail for contacts, but setup the mail thru pop3.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:14 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

Never had a problem with it on either my TP2 or Evo.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:37 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

been using gmail since Mogul, then TP1, and TP2, thats 3 years worth of gmail- never had an issue...
Old 09-17-2010, 03:40 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggylive
well I know hotmail and msn were having problems today, but otherwise it's in the way you have your gmail setup. are you using pop, imap, or exchange? pop3 is still around since it works elementary style..

I use exchange with gmail for contacts, but setup the mail thru pop3.
I think shaggy may have nailed it. OP try pop3 instead of imap.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:43 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2

defaultdotxbe is just getting started

this may sound like an odd question but how strong is your password?

i set up my gmail way back when it was in beta, and since then they've implemented a stronger password policy, so i was having all kinds of problems on my mogul and later TP2 with it getting stuck or just failing to authenticate (never had the problem with webmail or desktop outlook, go figure) i changed my password to meet the new security and haven't had an issue since (and i've always used IMAP for gmail)
Old 09-17-2010, 09:53 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

pufftissue is a n00b

I am trying to use IMAP as I prefer that to POP3 protocol.
I have always had a problem with gmail getting stuck, and if many people say that it works, well the problem is me. But it should be dead simple to set up, so maybe it is the password, go figure. I do have it set up to check mail every five minutes. I may try the push mail alternative and see what happens.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:05 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

imnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIP

I have one account setup through exchange and the other setup via imap and neither have issues with sending/receiving mail that I have noticed.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond

ctiger is becoming a great contributor

I have gmail setup in the mail on the task bar, I mean the default mail program by just type the screen to add an account, it has gmail settings and I have a very complex password with capital letters, numbers, no symbols though. And I had been setting my gmail account up again and again because of rom flash. I didn't notice any problem. BTW, if you have unlimited txt, you can forward your mail to txt, that's what I'm doing. But I don't set to auto send/receive just to save more battery(the habit from diamond because that little sucker's battery was too small) That way I got real time notice and can go to mail program and s/r the new mail. One significant drawback for this method, big email will be refused by my sprint txt server, so I got no notice at all. And gmail can't forward a title only
Old 09-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Verizon

PPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on rep

only problem I have been having with GMail is getting the same email over and over again.

I get it once on Gmail (by checking it on the web) and my TP2 checks for new mail every 1hr.

I pulls the emails fine.
I read them on the phone.
Delete them if need be.
Then wait another hr and I get the same email that I just read (and even deleted) as new email.

Anyone else getting this?
Its getting really annoying. May have to pull the account off my phone.

NRGz Wiki/FAQ Here
NRGz 29022 Sense 2.5 CHT1.8.5 Jul 4th

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2