PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Overclocking made it MORE stable?! Am I crazy? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=133673)

creedo 09-13-2010 11:15 PM

Overclocking made it MORE stable?! Am I crazy?

This is probably just a fluke and wishful thinking.

The more I played with my TP2, the more problems I'd have. At the very least I would need to soft reset every day to get my memory back, because it would boot with like 40% memory free and after a few hours be down to 20%. That's a well known issue with winmo 6.5.

When I give it a nice theme and CHT (the way winmo+manila is supposed to look and work) it was sluggish. And apps would unexpectedly close too often.

I'd also get occasional SOD. No biggie, I was gonna soft reset anyway :/

I tried overclocking with msm7 setcpuspeed. Even conservative changes (boosting to 604) caused problems, like 4-5 SOD's per day. So I got rid of it and thought "f!#@$ windows mobile".

Then, for some reason, I tried OCT 1.5 to overclock, since it allowed for finetuning you overclock in ways the other app can't. I followed slinkydoo's settings for it, in the specific OCT thread, going with 2 steps and 748 Mhz (the next step up caused issues).

Now I have it happily running all day and night and no need to reset. I could swear the memory leak is somehow better than before. Like I currently have 64% usage after having it on all day. Normally after 5 hours or so it's up to 80% and I'm starting to think about reset. Everything is snappy, and while I still can't run too much at once, I can keep 2-3 things going smoothly. They don't die when I switch between them.

The weird thing is, with these settings, I get no SOD. You're supposed to get more SOD with overclocking. Actually, I did get one (seemingly)... I pressed the power button at the top several times and the display didn't wake up. Then I slid open the keyboard and popped out the stylus, and it actually woke up. I've NEVER seen that. So I'm not sure if it was even a real SOD. Full disclosure: I did reset after, it was chugging even though it woke up. But at least I had a choice in the matter, and it did still show only 60ish percent used memory.

Anyone else found their phone is suddenly a lot less crappy after overclock?

smileyface22 09-13-2010 11:25 PM

Wirelessly posted (TP2: Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50433; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

I find my phone to be much more snappier while overclocked. Its makes having CHT and such mods worthwhile. Glad you're enjoying it! :)

DaveTN 09-13-2010 11:43 PM

Re: Overclocking made it MORE stable?! Am I crazy?

You're not crazy. Mine runs better too and I even get BETTER battery life.

David

sl8763 09-13-2010 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveTN (Post 1943949)
You're not crazy. Mine runs better too and I even get BETTER battery life.

David

Same here - it's like a totally new phone. Amazing stuff.

Tybalt39 09-14-2010 01:56 AM

Ditto on the better battery life. I mentioned it in another OC thread a couple of weeks back. And no more SOD. My GPS software is less "laggy". Everything is just GOOD! Does that mean something else in my life is going to turn to cr@p now?

slinkydoo1982 09-14-2010 02:25 AM

I'm tellin' ya...

jae18708 09-14-2010 02:30 AM

Where do you find OCT_1.5???

fcastro 09-14-2010 03:18 AM

Link to OCT 1.5 would be great. Once you have this app running does it always run automatically?

aldamon 09-14-2010 11:18 AM

I agree. Since OCing this summer, it seems like the phone doesn't get hanged or stuck on programs as easily which seems to contribute to stability. We should have had an upgraded CPU from the beginning.

one80oneday 09-14-2010 11:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jae18708 (Post 1944064)
Where do you find OCT_1.5???

Quote:

Originally Posted by fcastro (Post 1944098)
Link to OCT 1.5 would be great.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/1865351-post1.html