PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 11:06 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

pufftissue is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What do you do when the stock ROM sucks?

Hi guys,

Just got a touch pro 2 on Sprint. It's running the stock 6.5 Sprint ROM. This phone is a joke so far.

I have the dreaded sleep problem, that is, when the phone goes to sleep, it won't turn on, period. Disabling sense UI seems to help somewhat, but then today with sense enabled, the sleep issue occurred again. A soft reset fixed it. But a hard reset is required simply to use my phone if I desire the nice sense UI.

What should be my next step? Mind you, I have no extra apps installed on the phone except Google maps. I feel like my demands are reasonable--be able to use a phone and have it turn on when you push the power button. Email, and the web browser. I do want windows mobile 6.5, however.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Sprint Advantage Club

neudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: What do you do when the stock ROM sucks?

unlock and flash a custom ROM
if you are not comfortable doing that yet, check out the Stock Mod links in my Sig...

If all else fails you have 30 days to return it and get something else
Old 09-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Its FLASHING time!!!
Pocket PC: Evo & TP2
Carrier: SPCS

vin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Just got a touch pro 2 on Sprint. It's running the stock 6.5 Sprint ROM. This phone is a joke so far.
hehe it is also called

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. X
sprint stock rom is like a three legged cat trying to bury shit on a frozen pond. it just doesnt work out.
lol
Old 09-13-2010, 12:21 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

pufftissue is a n00b

Hi neudof,

So I see the links in your sig and it's just the same stock rom that's already in my 6.5,correct? The way that I make this Sprint stock rom stable is by adding the various cabs that you have?
Old 09-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

djqwikcut is keeping up the good workdjqwikcut is keeping up the good work

HONESTLY.. SPRINT STOCK ROM STINKS!! I have MIGHTYROM 6/20 running with the FACEBOOK TAB, PROGRAMS TAB and COOKIES HOME TAB and LOCK SCREEN and some other MODS and CUSTOM ICONS (bluetooth fixes etc).. the phone does freeze once in a while but doing everything I did made the phone 100000 times better!
Old 09-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Sprint Advantage Club

neudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pufftissue View Post
Hi neudof,

So I see the links in your sig and it's just the same stock rom that's already in my 6.5,correct? The way that I make this Sprint stock rom stable is by adding the various cabs that you have?
The links in my sig will help you get the most out of the stock rom. If you are still not where you want to be, unlock your phone and flash a custom rom, I recomend Energy, I see a reference to MightyROM above which I have personally never used. ROMs are all about personal preference, so you will need to try one for yourself
Old 09-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

flash to the 6.1 stock rom or one based off it like the sprint basics rom I'm running for example. and 6.1 on the tp2 isn't like how it was on the tp due to a newer build.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

dwmackay is becoming a great contributor

You might try a couple of things. First, try a Hard Reset. This basically takes the phone back to “factory fresh” status. This is easy and does not complicate any warranty issues. To Hard reset:
Start>Settings>system>clear storage

The next option would be to try one of the zillion ROMS available on this site. Everyone has a preference as to which one is “best” but your own experience will be the guide. If you want to try the ROMS posted, you have to prepare the phone for a new ROM. There are two things that you will see; Hard SPL (sometimes HSPL), and Security Unlock.

Your phone has 2 different ROMS, sort-of; the OS ROM and the Radio ROM. To improve your user interface experience, stability, speed, you want to try some of the custom OS ROMS. The Radio ROMS are prepared by the manufacturer/carrier and no one really messes with them. There are just a bunch of different versions to try. You will not notice much by changing radios, mainly GPS accuracy/speed and battery life.

To flash (change) your OS ROM, you need to Hard SPL. This is basically eliminating the extra layer of security applied to the phone by the manufacturer to make sure you don’t totally screw up your phone on your own. Hard SPL let’s you change the OS and possibly totally screw up your phone on your own. The risk is minimal if you follow the instructions, but the risk is also real. So don’t screw around with the instructions HERE. Follow them to the letter and you will be fine. Once the Hard SLP is done, simply read through the ROM postings and find one that sounds interesting. Most are simply exe files that you can launch and follow the on-screen instructions. After Hard SPL, you will have warranty return issues.

The first time you flash, you will think you are about to destroy your phone, but it will work and you should have a new interface to play with.

If you decide to try a new Radio, you need to Security Unlock your phone. This is the other layer of protection that keeps you from screwing up the radio side of your phone. It is the same as Hard SPL, just for the Radio instead of the OS. Don’t mess with this unless you really feel the need to. If your phone is new, you already have the latest Radio ROM.

Good luck. If you run into trouble, just post a note here and you will have plenty of help getting back on track.

It is worth noting however, that you are unlikely to find a ROM that is “perfect”. WM seems to have a memory management problem that requires the phone to be reset on a fairly regular basis. The custom ROMS found here solve many problems but not all. You will quickly get around the sleep of death issue however.

Doug M.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:10 PM
BIGGZZ - VIP -
Pocket PC: Dell Streak
Carrier: AT&T

Biggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Lots of great custom ROMs here....Unlock and Flash that sucker!
Old 09-13-2010, 03:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

ctiger is becoming a great contributor

I just bought a TP2 and on the stock 6.5 rom(I went through 3 phones, the first one worked fine, but I can hear some hiss noise when making calls, so I searched and found it should be better and went to the store to do a exchange, at the end of one month. It wasn't a good idea because the second one, I didn't bother to test all functions at the end of one month from purchase, two days from exchange, ended up has problem with the earphone jack, I went to store again and they refused to change that for me, only refurbish unit, and I was really irritated, finally they gave me an old new one, with 6.1 on it, I don't really care though. But none of these three has freezing problem), I have no freezing problem at all. You might want to do a hard reset, like Doug M. suggested, and start fresh and test again, if the problem persist, go to the store and exchange one.
I know stock rom sucks, there're more sh1t than useful things taking the space, I'm just lazy on unlocking. Like the diamonds I had, I actually used 1.8 years the stock 6.1 rom, of course, finally I couldn't take it anymore. But that experience also gave me some hesitate toward unlocking and custom rom. With less benefit onto 6.5, compare to 6.1, I'm just not that motivated.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2