PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Telus

slight22 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
International ROMs

Good afternoon everyone

I'm going to Ireland here in October and i want to talk my HTC TP2 (world edition) phone with me. I gave telus a ring and they told me the following.

1) they need to activate an international roaming feature which requires a 200 dollar deposit.
2) Then i need to pay for any international Airtime (which was expected)
3) Date will cost me 25 dollars a meg. This to me is the worst because thats all I really need. I don't need the phone.

I have no intentions of giving into Telus's demands so really here's my question. As I said I'm using a world edition HTC touch pro 2 loaded with Mighty Mikes latest rom. Is there an international or European version of this rom (or something similar) i can load up so that I can use my phone in Ireland without it actually needing to go through telus? Like i said data being the most important thing to me.

thx
Old 09-11-2010, 02:55 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

You don't need a new rom. All you need to do is buy a pre-paid sim card for the GSM carrier that has coverage where you are going to and stick it in the sim slot. Then you can control how much money you want to spend to use your TP2 where you are going.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

spectheintro is keeping up the good workspectheintro is keeping up the good work
Re: International ROMs

The above is true, with a caveat. I would look into figuring out how to configure your worldphone for data on other SIM carriers. I don't know if Telus is CDMA or GSM, but I know that my Sprint TP2 never could get data working on Etisalat while I was in Dubai. (Admittedly, I did not try very hard.) Make sure you have instructions for how and what to configure so that you can use data.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

slight22 is a n00b

The reason I want to put an Irish rom on it, is the fact i don't trust that telus won't see the data usage anyway. So even if i did put an irish sim card in it for while im there I don't want to come back with telus telling me they were charging me for roaming and $25 per meg while i'm out there.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

slight22 is a n00b

Has anyone actually taken an HTC TP2 to Ireland and know if it works there?
Old 09-14-2010, 11:06 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TP2, HTC HD2
Carrier: Etisalat

cmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectheintro View Post
The above is true, with a caveat. I would look into figuring out how to configure your worldphone for data on other SIM carriers. I don't know if Telus is CDMA or GSM, but I know that my Sprint TP2 never could get data working on Etisalat while I was in Dubai. (Admittedly, I did not try very hard.) Make sure you have instructions for how and what to configure so that you can use data.
Very true. Etisalat is a nightmare to deal with, and for me after flashing certain ROMs either data works or it doesn't. Etisalat is never any any help...but like Horn said, just get a prepaid SIM and you should be go to go.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:27 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

slight22 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmajewsk View Post
Very true. Etisalat is a nightmare to deal with, and for me after flashing certain ROMs either data works or it doesn't. Etisalat is never any any help...but like Horn said, just get a prepaid SIM and you should be go to go.

The problem is, no one can tell me if that prepaid sim wont be local but the phone still have some sort of telus controls in it, and cost me whether i want it to or not.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

spectheintro is keeping up the good workspectheintro is keeping up the good work

Slight:

You have nothing to worry about. GSM is completely controlled by the SIM card. Just pull out your international SIM (if Telus put it in there; if not, remove any other SIM that might be in there), put in the prepaid SIM, and you're good to go. I've used my TP2 in Dubai and Iran with Sprint none the wiser. It looks like Ireland doesn't even have CDMA up and running yet (CDG : Worldwide : Worldwide), so there's simply no chance they'll see the CDMA radio. All they'll look for is your SIM, and when you put the prepaid in, that's all that ever shows.

Last edited by spectheintro; 09-15-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Its FLASHING time!!!
Pocket PC: Evo & TP2
Carrier: SPCS

vin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation level

Consider to flash.Whould be nice to know how it goes overseas.
US T-Mo confirmed
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/1945030-post7731.html

Last edited by vin255764; 09-15-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:20 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slight22 View Post
The reason I want to put an Irish rom on it, is the fact i don't trust that telus won't see the data usage anyway. So even if i did put an irish sim card in it for while im there I don't want to come back with telus telling me they were charging me for roaming and $25 per meg while i'm out there.
you wouldn't have to worry about that. because if you're using a different SIM, there's no way in hell telus will find out you're using data and making voice call. because the pre-paid SIM you will buy in Ireland operates under the carrier's network in that country.

like spectheintro said....your phone will connect to the network that your pre-paid SIM is active on.

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2