PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 11:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 2.3.3
Carrier: Metro pcs

montecristo1 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmontecristo1 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmontecristo1 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Left Touch Pro 2 for the Evo

After being a Windows Mobile man since I had my Toshiba E330 back in 2003, I left the platform for Android a couple of days ago. I researched and reviewed all I can before making this decision. I figure I post about my experience to help those who are considering it. First, I will NEVER thrash Window Mobile- and will consider going back if Microsoft gets it together.

HTC Touch Pro 2 and the HTC Evo differences:
OS: I found it (I am still a Android newbie) easier to tweak Winmo and can personalized it than that over Android. I love that I can install cabs by someone who designed a tweak. Android has to be rooted, in some cases, to take advantage of certain apps.

Apps: Android has many apps. Can't say windows mobile doesn't, since I have about 10 gb worth of apps stored on dvds. But alot of companies, like Target or Redbox make it convenient to shop for. But I am yet to find top of the line apps like CorePlayer, UltimateLauncher... Android does have various launchers and coreplayer apps likes.

On Metro PCS: At one point, I could have streamed Pandora or Wunderadio over Metro PCS- until it stopped. Some people didn't have this issue, but I did. On Android, Pandora and Wunderadio work like a charm.

Web: Yet, I am using Metro PCS, seems like the web was faster on my Touch Pro 2. I can easily surf the net fast. Maybe cause I was using Opera Mini 5. Opera Mini 5 on Android is somewhat slow. However, Android's Dolphin HD is not bad- nor Skyfire. I wasn't able to use Skyfire on metro. I can see youtube and certain videos more than I was able on Touch Pro 2.

Screen, Size and body:HTC Evo has a wider screen and no keyboard. I read complaints about that the Evo was too big. But since I have big thumbs, I really like the wide screen and do not find it big- just right. I hate texting using the virtual keyboard. I miss my TP2's keyboard. I don't text as often now. Body wise, the TP2 now looks bulky. I also noticed that Opera Mini (Winmo) display more vibrant images when surfing the net over Android's webbrowsers.

Battery: I have read numerous of battery issues concerning the Evo. But yet I also heard the same about the Touch Pro 2. I had experienced fast battery drained on my TP2- but the Evo drains much faster. But we know why, the screen is bigger and the Android has many services running in the background. I am still trying to figure out how to combat that issue. Any Android user will tell you that a taskbar killer is the answer- but for any winmo user- that is very annoying. I miss that about the TP2- not that many services running on the background. Another thing I noticed about the TP2 and Android is the battery- they both use the same battery. I was using a Seidio 1750 mah battery on my TP2- now i have it on my Evo.

Games: hands down- Android. I never use my TP2 for games- since I am not a gamer. But I got Asphalt and Raging Thunder- it is incredible.

USB: my port stopped working on my touch pro 2- then again- also on my Touch Pro. So i was surprised to see that the Evo- has another type of micro usb connector than that of the Touch Pro 2. So I had to buy on ebay a different cradle and usb cord. And wasn't surprised when my laptop did not recognized my Evo as a mass storage. But my cousin- he has the Hero- mention that you have to "mount" to make it work. I downloaded a program that did such a thing- and what do you know it works.

As I continue to learn how to use my new HTC Evo, I do miss my Touch Pro 2 and Winmo. But, since getting the Evo, I haven't been able to put it down. It is fast and very responsive. Both the Touch Pro 2 and Evo are great phones- and so is Android and Windows Mobile.

I kept my Touch Pro 2- in case if I decide to want to switch back.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:10 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Good Luck Bro!

Interesting observations.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:16 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

savior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to savior02
Re: Left Touch Pro 2 for the Evo

you should of got the epic

Old 09-07-2010, 01:29 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Micro$oft 950
Carrier: AT&T

steveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

+1 good luck! love the wifes evo but not enough yet to convert. Played with the epic the other day. How does such a great phone fell like a plastic toy?
Old 09-07-2010, 01:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: DROID X, HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

crazed_z06 is becoming a great contributor

Interesting. I got my Droid X a few days ago and I can honestly say I havent missed Windows Mobile for a second. It's like getting out of a 6 year long abusive relationship.

OS: Yes, WinMo might be easier to tweak, but right out of the box the Driod X is chugging along like clockwork. I really dont even had the desire to tweak much right now. It's already pretty customizable out of the box, so I havent had to go searching around for fixes for things.

Apps: No competition whatsoever. Im way more productive with equivalent apps on Android. They load and run literally 10 times faster. They integrate with everything else on the phone seamlessly. They look much better. The user interface is actually touch friendly so a stylus isnt needed.. This is the best part of the phone. It's hard to explain how much better it is. Like the difference between a Pontiac Grand Prix and BMW 5-Series.

Web: The included browser demolishes IE, Opera, etc on WinMo. It loads pages unbelievably fast and renders them perfectly. With multitouch, browsing is much more efficient.. very similar to the Iphone/Ipod Touch. Once again, no stylus required. When it gets native flash support from froyo, it'll be even more awesome..

Screen: It's huge and clear. I thought Id miss hardware keyboards. I had a 8525, Tilt, and TP2 because I always thought a hardware keyboard was a requirement. Not anymore. I cant text way faster with Swype than I ever could with a physical KB.

Battery: Seems about the same. DroidX probably burns through battery faster, but it's not so much that it's an issue at all.

Games: No competition. Some of the games on here look like actual computer games. I never did any gaming on a phone, so it's not a big deal. It is pretty impressive though.

USB: Syncing things is easier on the TP2 obviously since it's running s MS OS. I had to export my Outlook contacts to Gmail to import them into the Droid. Also, the Droid has multiple types of USB connections that you can do with the PC. It's a little tricky at first. After experimenting, I use the "PC Mode"..

I cant imagine any reason Id ever use the TP2 for anything ever again. I actually tried to give it to my gf because she had some old flip phone, but she saw all the issues I used to have with WinMo and she opted to sign up for a new contract and get a Droid2 instead.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:59 AM
VIP Member

steveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the community

I cant imagine any reason Id ever use the TP2 for anything ever again. I actually tried to give it to my gf because she had some old flip phone, but she saw all the issues I used to have with WinMo and she opted to sign up for a new contract and get a Droid2 instead.[/QUOTE]

These new phones are WAY faster because the few of us left are trying to run all the same newest things with half the engine running on airplane fuel(overclocking). As far as all of the "issues", I think I CREATED most of them LOL!
Old 09-07-2010, 02:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 2.3.3
Carrier: Metro pcs
Threadstarter

montecristo1 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmontecristo1 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmontecristo1 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

@horndoctor @steveo70- thanks bros.

@crazed_z06,
you are right, works out of the box... but when referring to tweaks- i meant more personalization to your phone to your liking and usage. I am still an Android newbie, still learning, but for what I have experienced so far-it is whatever is on the marketplace. With winmo (6.1), I had MORE control over what I wanted on my today screen. Like phonealarm- which managed my phone's profiles day to day. And backing up for what I have heard is not as easy as it is for winmo. I used Sprite Backup and whenever something went wrong- restoring was a snap! For what I have been reading- Android apps have issues on not backing up everything. Luckily I found Sprite for Android- but everyone states that Titanium Backup is the best- but can miss some apps- so you will need an app back up aside- something I did not have to worry on winmo.

Keyboard: like I said, I do miss the keyboard. My fingers gets tired of constantly touching one letter at a time. I hope there is an external bluetooth available for the Evo soon. I am in the process of inputting my passwords- but haven't found an app equivalent to ewallet yet. But I have atleast 50 site passwords and 20 other important information to input- and inputting them on a virtual keyboard sucks! And swype ain't going to make it faster.

Battery: the OEM battery for the EVO is 1500mAh (same as the Touch Pro2)- and it is an issue. Luckily, I have a Seidio 1750mAh battery for a little more juice. Big screen, faster processor would require more juice... HTC sucked a big one for not adding at least a 2000mAh battery.

Apps: Android does have a lot free apps on the Marketplace. However, it is beginning to look like the Apple Store- alot of useless apps- which doesn't make it better. But i rather have quality over quantity. I hope- many of the apps I had on my touch pro2 will be available on Android- like phonealarm.

I am sure, as time goes, I will be more familiar with Android and learn to utilize it better.

Last edited by montecristo1; 09-07-2010 at 02:04 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: DROID X, HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

crazed_z06 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo70 View Post

These new phones are WAY faster because the few of us left are trying to run all the same newest things with half the engine running on airplane fuel(overclocking). As far as all of the "issues", I think I CREATED most of them LOL!
Yeah.. the biggest problem with the TP2 is it simply doesnt have the Horsepower to run smoothly. I stumbled across a "Microsoft Store" at the mall a awhile back.. They didnt have jack for mobile devices on display except for the Kin and HD2.

The HD2 running WM 6.5 was actually pretty fast compared to my TP2 running the same OS. It actually made the phone seem usable. Still the lack of App support for WM is what kills it for me. Even if my TP2 had HD2 power, It still wouldnt matter because I still wouldnt be able to install apps like NFL Mobile, Yelp, WellsFargo, IMDB, the list goes on...

Last edited by crazed_z06; 09-07-2010 at 02:17 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:04 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo1 View Post
@horndoctor @steveo70- thanks bros.

@crazed_z06,
you are right, works out of the box... but when referring to tweaks- i meant more personalization to your phone to your liking and usage. I am still an Android newbie, still learning, but for what I have experienced so far-it is whatever is on the marketplace. With winmo (6.1), I had MORE control over what I wanted on my today screen. Like phonealarm- which managed my phone's profiles day to day. And backing up for what I have heard is not as easy as it is for winmo. I used Sprite Backup and whenever something went wrong- restoring was a snap! For what I have been reading- Android apps have issues on not backing up everything. Luckily I found Sprite for Android- but everyone states that Titanium Backup is the best- but can miss some apps- so you will need an app back up aside- something I did not have to worry on winmo.

Keyboard: like I said, I do miss the keyboard. My fingers gets tired of constantly touching one letter at a time. I hope there is an external bluetooth available for the Evo soon. I am in the process of inputting my passwords- but haven't found an app equivalent to ewallet yet. But I have atleast 50 site passwords and 20 other important information to input- and inputting them on a virtual keyboard sucks! And swype ain't going to make it faster.

Battery: the OEM battery for the EVO is 1500mAh (same as the Touch Pro2)- and it is an issue. Luckily, I have a Seidio 1750mAh battery for a little more juice. Big screen, faster processor would require more juice... HTC sucked a big one for not adding at least a 2000mAh battery.

Apps: Android does have a lot free apps on the Marketplace. However, it is beginning to look like the Apple Store- alot of useless apps- which doesn't make it better. But i rather have quality over quantity. I hope- many of the apps I had on my touch pro2 will be available on Android- like phonealarm.

I am sure, as time goes, I will be more familiar with Android and learn to utilize it better.
Here's a great site..http://www.thedroiddemos.com/
Old 09-07-2010, 05:21 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazed_z06 View Post
Yeah.. the biggest problem with the TP2 is it simply doesnt have the Horsepower to run smoothly. I stumbled across a "Microsoft Store" at the mall a awhile back.. They didnt have jack for mobile devices on display except for the Kin and HD2.

The HD2 running WM 6.5 was actually pretty fast compared to my TP2 running the same OS. It actually made the phone seem usable. Still the lack of App support for WM is what kills it for me. Even if my TP2 had HD2 power, It still wouldnt matter because I still wouldnt be able to install apps like NFL Mobile, Yelp, WellsFargo, IMDB, the list goes on...
Agreed app support is not there, fortunately, i dont require gaming and other apps (though I do find enjoyable the photo apps on the wifes evo). I mainly use slacker, midomi, google maps, opera mini,skyfire, groove mobile. I do love my ICBM, but heck I'm 40 and old school..this dog is getting harder to learn new tricks. LOL. Having high hopes on wm7..via pocketnow videos but still afraid the apps wont follow. Like I said lovin those camera apps, esp retro camera. Did I mention I was getting old? I have my upgrade but still holding out but not holding anything against froyo. It does rock!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2