PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 03:47 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul --> TP --> TP2 --> Transform --> Epic
Carrier: Sprint

tkjames is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
e-Reader for TP2

I'm new to the whole e-reader tech, so forgive my naivety.
I'm looking for an e-reader that supports multiple e-book formats, like PDf and ePub.

So far I've downloaded Freda, which is pretty nice, but I'd really like one that supports more. I'm going to try eReader, MS Reader, and MobiPocket as well. Even if there isn't one program that supports everything, will these 3 programs cover most formats?

Also, is there an e-book reader that opens PDF other than Adobe? The problem with Adobe Reader is that by the time you increase the font large enough to read it, you have to keep scrolling back and forth to finish sentences. I like how the Freda reader formats the pages to fill the screen without having to scroll from side to side.

And yes, I searched.

Last edited by tkjames; 03-03-2010 at 03:56 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx -> TP2

JasonMeudt is a n00b
Re: e-Reader for TP2

The 'best' answer is to use Freda as your e-reader, but to use Calibre to change the book format...

With Jim working on Freda the way that he is, the software is fairly decent... Re-format your books with Calibre and you will be much happier.

Just my $0.02...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3

Robodoc82 is just getting started

Ebook Readers are addressed in this thread:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=110255
Cheers!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola Q and HTC TP2
Carrier: Verizon

defiantone is keeping up the good workdefiantone is keeping up the good workdefiantone is keeping up the good work

I will that I knew how to port an Android ereader called Aidiko. I've seen it on my wifes Droid and it is awesome. I'd port that to the TP2 in a heartbeat if I knew how.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul --> TP --> TP2 --> Transform --> Epic
Threadstarter

tkjames is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMeudt View Post
The 'best' answer is to use Freda as your e-reader, but to use Calibre to change the book format...

With Jim working on Freda the way that he is, the software is fairly decent... Re-format your books with Calibre and you will be much happier.

Just my $0.02...
Thanks! Don't know why it didn't cross my mind to consider conversion...again, new to this. And I do like Freda the best out of all 4 readers I installed (can't even get the MS Reader to work...says it's not activated...??). Calibre will be my best bet for now.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3

Robodoc82 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkjames View Post
Thanks! Don't know why it didn't cross my mind to consider conversion...again, new to this. And I do like Freda the best out of all 4 readers I installed (can't even get the MS Reader to work...says it's not activated...??). Calibre will be my best bet for now.
MS has an update for MS Reader that fixed the activation problem for WM 6/6.1 (Don't know if it workd for WM 6.5 as I am on the stock Sprint ROM). Go to http://www.microsoft.com/reader/downloads/ppc.aspx to download it. Then use a Window's Live profile to activate it. You have to use ActiveSync to do the activation.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

Boushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Boushh Send a message via MSN to Boushh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMeudt View Post

Just my $0.02...
I agree 100%. Trust me, I've tried them all as it was one of my top five reasons for getting an iPaq well before Microsoft was even thinking about making CE on smart phones. I have been really disappointed with every ereader I've tried and it made reading books very frustrating (plus in most cases I would have to convert some of my books anyway). Freda is amazing and paired with Calibre (which is a great windows ebook reader as well), conversion is a piece of cake!
Read away my friend!

Now only if someone will release a good freeware cbr/cbz reader.

LAWL
Old 03-05-2010, 01:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G (Supersonic)

modembug is keeping up the good workmodembug is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to modembug Send a message via MSN to modembug Send a message via Yahoo to modembug

Freda is the best ive used so far, and ive been reading ebooks on windows devices since my jornada 754 back in the day!
Old 08-31-2010, 08:52 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

SirCharlsO is a n00b

The output format that you guys are using for Freda, is that indeed epub? I was having trouble converting it from PDF to EPUB. I am going to try again, just in case, but thought I would see if anyone using Freda tried any other formats, or is Freda ONLY an epub file reader? Sorry...new to this too..
Old 08-31-2010, 11:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

creedo is keeping up the good workcreedo is keeping up the good workcreedo is keeping up the good work

Looks like it's only epub.

If you never get it converted, you can reflow PDFs for accessibility, and then open them with foxit PDF reader. Then the text looks pretty readable. Foxit offers an option to force reflow but if you don't modify the PDF itself beforehand, usually all the words run together without spaces.

I wrote a little something on the subject as I had to wrestle with some large PDFs to get them to read smoothly on my phone. Try the very bottom of this page:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...1-677cde96b03a

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2