PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 04:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Sprint

Amamba is keeping up the good workAmamba is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have a problem (you too ?)

Here's the problem... the custom dictionary captures my passwords, and there's no god damn way to edit it. I tried the .exe that resides in Windows (et9words.exe or something like that) but it seems this only allows you to add words. Not edit the ones system adds automatically. I searched on Google but so far no luck. Any suggestions ? I am sick of having to type my pin every time screen goes blank !
Old 09-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Re: I have a problem (you too ?)

what exactly is the problem? can u explain it more clearly?
Old 09-04-2010, 06:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

The problem is, practically all of my passwords are in the suggested words list that pops up when I type. So if my device ever gets stolen, all the passwords would be exposed. I had to use the PIN to unlock my device and that's a PITA.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:47 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Either nobody else has the same problem or nobody cares ? This is a major security issue. I am on a stock ROM so I find it hard to believe I have a unique problem.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:00 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

well first- turn of the PIN lock... or use ThrottleLock, S2U2, or lockdevice 1.6(i swear it has a diff name but thats all i could remember-but it is 1.6 lol). problem solved...
or adjust you backlight settings and your screen wont turn off as often..

how would anyone know which words in your dictionary are your passwords??? if you have OBVIOUS passwords, well thats all your fault... unless they are the only words with, ie xxxxxx9484 in it, sure that simple... hell, ill hack all of your passwords without a dictionary lol...

how many people could actually pick up an HTC winMO phone and navigate through all the sub menus to even find your t9 dictionary anyways?? very few..unless of course theyre familiar with winMO..

if your that paranoid, why dont you have any anti-theft measures on your phone?? SmartPhoneTracker is good.. and PhoneCreeper(if used as anti-theft) is the best thinng around..let someone take your phone, youll find them in 5 minutes and listen to their convos the whole way there...

your problems are easily fixable man..
Old 09-05-2010, 01:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

To have a strong password you can't use a regular dictionary word. A brutal-force dictionary attack is very simple.

So if someone steals my phone, opens Word, starts typing and sees something like "So4fb45e0" in the list of suggested words, it should be fairly obvious that this is a password used on the phone, all it takes is some patience to see what site or application would accept it.

Now of course one can hope that a would-be thief is dumb enough to have no understanding of even the simplest WinMob things, yet smart enough to hard-reset the phone before trying to sell it.

However this is like hiding your head in sand. Look how much effort is spent to combat phishing scams and how sophisticated the bad guys get lately. I suspect that an intelligent thief would already know, by now, that the real value of the stolen phone is the data it can allow access to. Like your login credentials, bank accounts, etc.

I can't believe this kind of a security hole was left on our devices.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:34 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

dude..you super paranoid...

you think someone stealing a device is like "oh hey, let me type up a word document real fast".. come one man..

If theyre SMART Thieves, then theyre smart enough not to even turn the device on as it can be GPS located a million different ways..

and stop using T9 then..flat out! its your own fault your passwords are getting saved, not the softwares.. the software of T9 is doing what its suppose to be doing, saving new words..

if you have t9 enabled when you put in your passwords, they goto the dictionary, plain and simple... if you turn off t9 and enter your passwords, now their not saved... its not really hard to tap the switch to turn off t9 to put in a pword..

i mean thats like complaining that when you click "save password" on your browser, it saves your password.. yet your not complaining about "vulnerability" through your browser now are you...

t9 has always had a learning dictionary, and even the ability to add words.. if you use T9, and use a word that it doesnt know, it gets saved-thats one of the points of T9 man!

and T9 is pointless on a device with a hardware keyboard and a full onscreen keyboard.. every word your typing(assuming your not using word completion too) can be texted in the same number of keystrokes..

**T9 is for flip and bar phones that only have a keypad.. so you dont have to hit 2-2-2 just to get the letter "C", and so on..**

Last edited by boredandtattooed; 09-05-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amamba View Post
Here's the problem... the custom dictionary captures my passwords, and there's no god damn way to edit it. I tried the .exe that resides in Windows (et9words.exe or something like that) but it seems this only allows you to add words. Not edit the ones system adds automatically. I searched on Google but so far no luck. Any suggestions ? I am sick of having to type my pin every time screen goes blank !
Maybe this will allow you to do what you want to do:
http://www.mobisapienz.com/index.php...ownload&cid=73

I personally turn predictive text off because it is annoying to me but I guess I can see where some may experience issues like this.
Good Luck!
Old 09-05-2010, 07:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

creedo is keeping up the good workcreedo is keeping up the good workcreedo is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I think this is a perfectly fair complaint. it's the kind of thing the keyboard developer is supposed to anticipate. there should be something like long tap > don't save this word. swype won't save stuff in a password field. not perfect but at least they saw the danger. we shouldn't blame the victim here, there is zero excuse to have a password saved in plain unencrypted text on any device against the user's wishes.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

wow this is funny. whenever I enter a password field on the rom I'm running XT9 disables itself.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2