PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Tom Codon CM Wifi cab => super hot phone? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=132778)

domoarigato 09-01-2010 03:13 AM

Tom Codon CM Wifi cab => super hot phone?

ok just installed this wifi app to tether internet to my laptop when im on business trips and whatnot.

1) am i going to get charged for using wifi router?

2) is my phone supposed to be hot enough to cook scrambled eggs?

thanks

Dr.8820 09-01-2010 03:32 AM

Re: Tom Codon CM Wifi cab => super hot phone?

no, and no.

boredandtattooed 09-01-2010 05:45 AM

+1.. i havent been charged in 3 years.. and i use Wifi Router for hours at a time and my device doesnt get hot

domoarigato 09-01-2010 12:14 PM

hmm... i wonder why my device is heating up so much.

i just left it by the AC vent yesterday when i was tethering.

i was getting 1.5 mbs / down which is pretty damn impressive. battery drainer though.

boredandtattooed 09-01-2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domoarigato (Post 1931479)

i was getting 1.5 mbs / down which is pretty damn impressive. battery drainer though.

i put mine on the charger, turn on Wifi Router and walk away leaving BitComet running all day... come home and myphone is still on, fully charged, and all my downloads are done..

domoarigato 09-01-2010 02:44 PM

so what do you use for a phone during the day? lol.

bluedeer 09-01-2010 03:22 PM

I'm on my third Touch Pro 2, for different reasons that have nothing to do with this actually, and all three of them have had the same problem. When using WiFi and the phone, the phone gets rather warm. Especially while charging, which results in the protection circuit kicking in and shutting the phone off.

What I've done to eliminate this, was I built a small cradle using a 5v powered CPU fan, some USB cabling, and a small project case and all I do is just set my phone in this cradle, plug it in, and charge while the fan is spinning. This enables my phone to not only charge while acting as a WiFi hotspot, it also has the benefit of staying quite cool. It charges off of nearly any USB port or the USB charger wall warts (Which provide more than enough current to run the fan and charge the phone).

I'm not interested in making these for anybody unless I'm granted plenty of materials and funds, but it really does come in handy. You can get materials for your own easily around the house, and the fan I got on eBay. Just look for 5v fan. It's a little box fan like you'd use on a computer CPU or small laptop.

mrprism133 09-01-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domoarigato (Post 1931479)

ok. hold the bus! i did a speed test yesterday and 0.30 down.. how the h3ll are you getting 1.5???

for sh?ts n giggles i downloaded the tom-codon wifi cab, and speed tested my connect
this time i got 0.63 down

CWasko 09-01-2010 04:32 PM

I had a Tp2, now on an Evo, and I had the same issue with the heating. A few of the other guys here at the office also experience this. I think its just too much microwaving and battery.

redd214 09-01-2010 05:48 PM

this happend on my tp2 as well, gets pretty hot when tethering for a while. I used to put it in front of a fan when at the office or on something cold out of the freezer when at home. Happened on my TP1 as well