PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 11:24 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

bMwnut1 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HTC Verizon TP2 Sim Card

I just bought a used Verizon TP2 phone and in learning about it, I discovered it does not have a SIM card installed. I called Verizon CS and was told a replacement was not available. They referred me to HTC! I travel aboard infrequently, but want the GSM capability when I do.

The CS Rep also told me that the wrong SIM card can damage the phone. I see new SIM cards on eBay for Verizon - will one of these work? I'm guessing I would register it with Verizon?

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2010, 12:39 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3
Carrier: Sprint

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: HTC Verizon TP2 Sim Card

you don't need big red's sim card on the phone when you travel abroad. the CS you spoke with is just scaring you so that you'll subscribe to their expensive roaming rates when out of the country. the tp2 is originally sim unlocked for international use...hence it is called a "world phone". you can just buy any pre-paid sim in the country you go to...pop it in your phone...change your setting from CDMA to GSM, and you're good to go. but just because it has a sim card...does not mean it's unlocked for US GSM use. the sim is only unlocked for international use. but you can call big red to get the sim unlock code.

you should've asked the rep what do they consider a "wrong sim card".

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!

Last edited by Mojary; 08-31-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:40 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

whether your traveling out of country or just around the US and want to use GSM, you need to be SIM UNLOCKED 1st.. then you need a prepaid SIM CARD..

so naturally, you wouldnt even use a VZW SIM card anyways... You need a PrePaid SIM card for a GSM carrier for it to work... so dont waste your time looking for a VWZ SIM.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:10 PM
Regular 'Geeker

nayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.3521/19.916; U; en) Presto/2.5.25)

I travel abroad all the time (I am in czech republic right now)...

I use a vzw sim and to the best of my knowledge am not sim unlocked (is there a way I can check?).

Last edited by nayr1482; 08-31-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:14 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayr1482 View Post
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.3521/19.916; U; en) Presto/2.5.25)

I use a vzw sim
well did you buy your international minutes/time from VZW directly?? If so thats why..

I can buy minutes/time from sprint and use my sprint SIM.. but if I dont buy from sprint, the SIM is useless in another country
Old 08-31-2010, 01:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker

nayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed
Quote:

I use a vzw sim
well did you buy your international minutes/time from VZW directly?? If so thats why..

I can buy minutes/time from sprint and use my sprint SIM.. but if I dont buy from sprint, the SIM is useless in another country
yeah I have an international unlimited plan. I know others that have sim unlocked and then purchased pre paid sims in asia so...
Old 08-31-2010, 01:30 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:

yeah I have an international unlimited plan. I know others that have sim unlocked and then purchased pre paid sims in asia so...
that's why you are able to use your verizon phone and sim in the czech republic...because of your international plan with your carrier.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:06 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus

imnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIP

The VZW TP2 is not SIM unlocked. If you want to use a Non-VZW SIM, you have to call them and get the unlock code, or find one of many online retailers that will get it for you. If VZW didn't want to send you one, that is odd considering they would make more money off of you actually using it, and it was also supposed to come with the phone anyway. I'd say go to a store rather than calling as you may be able to get one that way easier than calling CS.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Tags
sim