PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   If OCT + Nitrogen Screen Off = SOD, READ THIS! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=132625)

nayr1482 08-30-2010 12:10 PM

If OCT + Nitrogen Screen Off = SOD, READ THIS!

3 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,

I noticed a lot of people are having issues with SOD when using OCT + Nitrogen w/ Screen Off.

From what I can tell, this is because Nitrogen requires more CPU power than the CPU is set to when the screen is off (Screen off w/ 5 steps is 125mhz, from what I can see Nitrogen can spike upwards of 350mhz).

So - many of you have disabled Dynamic OverClocking.

If you want to use DYNAMIC OVERCLOCKING, here are 2 solutions for you.

1) When Nitrogen is running, disable the OverClock
pros - simple, no extra battery drain, no extra heat, etc...
cons - if you do then use your phone while Nitrogen is playing, you will be at stock speed...

2) When Nitrogen is running, disable DYANMIC OverClock - meaning run at OverClock speed.
pros - full power if you start using your device while Nitrogen is on
cons - maybe chew up some battery, create some heat...dont know

btw...this approach will really work for ANY program, not just Nitrogen...

Requirements: MortScript must be installed on your phone. Obviously you must be using OCT v1.5 and have Nitrogen installed (or whatever app you want really...but the scripts attached are setup for Nitrogen).

If you have OCT installed to: \Storage Card\Program Files\OverClockTool\
and you have Nitrogen installed to: \Program Files\Nitrogen\
Then you do not have to edit the files at all! Just place them anywhere on your phone...

1) Download your preferred file. Nitrogen.mscr is for option 1, Nitrogen_OC.mscr is for option 2.

2) Open the file on your computer using Notepad, you need to edit the paths to where you have the files (OCT_Stop.exe, Nitrogen.exe, OCT_Run.exe). Once you have ALL PATHS changed CORRECTLY, go to File > Save As. Set the "Save as type:" to "All Files" and then in the "File name:" name it whatever you want, followed by .mscr

3) Put the file on your phone (anywhere is fine)

At this point you can stop and just click the file to run Nitrogen...however to clean it up a bit...

4) Create a shorcut to the script in \Windows\Start Menu\Programs

5) Take the nitrogen_icon.png file attached and save it in your Nitrogen directory (or where ever you want really) on your phone.

6) Using your registry editor, go into HKLM\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\Shortcut to Nitrogen.lnk
Create a NEW Value: Name = Icon, Type = String, Value = enter the path to the nitrogen_icon.png you just put on your phone.

Enjoy!

ai6908 08-30-2010 01:54 PM

Re: If OCT + Nitrogen Screen Off = SOD, READ THIS!

I had that SOD happen to me over the weekend. Nice little script you wrote. Thanks.

nayr1482 08-31-2010 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ai6908 (Post 1928888)
I had that SOD happen to me over the weekend. Nice little script you wrote. Thanks.

Yeah I have only been playing with OCT for a few days but so far I have gotten SOD quite a bit. Playing music w/ screen off was one, this script solves that...

BUT - I get SOD after maybe 25% of phone calls.

So far in my testing the only method I have gotten no SOD from is Netripper's app + Script.

selphie 08-31-2010 02:35 PM

nayr, can you clarify in more detail why the SoD happens?

From what I can tell, this is because Nitrogen requires more CPU power than the CPU is set to when the screen is off (Screen off w/ 5 steps is 125mhz, from what I can see Nitrogen can spike upwards of 350mhz).

So you're saying that the CPU is set to 125Hz when screen gets turned off... how does that explain why Nitrogen has no SoD issue when we're not overclocking?
I mean, if the CPU is set to 125Hz regardless of OC or not, when the screen is turned off as it is without using your script? maybe I'm misunderstanding something here.

nayr1482 08-31-2010 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selphie (Post 1930299)
nayr, can you clarify in more detail why the SoD happens?

So you're saying that the CPU is set to 125Hz when screen gets turned off... how does that explain why Nitrogen has no SoD issue when we're not overclocking?
I mean, if the CPU is set to 125Hz regardless of OC or not, when the screen is turned off as it is without using your script? maybe I'm misunderstanding something here.

The CPU is set to 125mhz when the screen is off WHEN you are using OCT w/ 5 steps...
Without OCing the phone is ALWAYS at 528, screen on or off (as far as I know)...